Options

Super Cool New Mercury App.

Comments

• Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    All,

I have the second group of 10 testers listed out.  I expect to ship that group of modules out the week of Sep 6th (after Labor Day) IF the first group provides good feedback.  IF you have questions that can't get resolved through the forum, feel free to email me and I will asnswer as I get to them (and feel free to post back on the forum what each of you learn along the way).

A few tidbits from the call today:  
    • IF you install the module on the engine (applicable to single engine vessels only), you must place a termination resistor in the extra Y hanging off the harness (typically need one at each end of the SmartCraft network but if this is the only device on your SmartCraft network, then it should work with just a single resistor, will not work without one).  The huge majority of engines have that yellow 10 pin termination resistor on the engine harness where you need to plug the VesselView Mobile module in, only hte very earliest engines had weather caps in place of that termination resistor
    • For fuel management info - you do not require a SmartCraft fuel level harness, we look at the fuel used by recording the length of time the injectors are open and accumulating that volume.  As long as you tell us when you add fuel and how much, your app fuel management will be more accurate than any other fuel level indication (analog or SmartCraft).  That being said, IF you do have SmartCraft instruments, highly recomend using the tank levels available on the engines (you will need the specific boat harness for your engine) in addition to the app jsut becasue the SmartCraft data set to your gauge or display makes better sense when you have that info available.
    • Finally, for those of you with dual engine applications (the majority I think), you will need to get a Mercury dealer to change your port engine CityID from STBD to PORT when you get your SmartCraft network installed (which is really easy, as long as you have the right parts for your application - easiest thing to do is tell you dealer what you are trying to do and order parts through him).  First and foremost, you need to determine if your helm harnessing is using the Mercury 14 pin data cables (our current architecture) - if so, then adding in the necessary parts is very straight forward; two junction boxes, a 2 pin CAN link (pull the blue CAN P termination resistors and install the link between port and stbd sides at the helm) and a dual engine instrument adapter (you could go with just a single junction box and omit the dual engine isntrument adapter but just realize you always need that side's key on to get the module to turn on).  IF you have the older 10 pin engine plug (prior to our 14 pin architecture), then you would run blue data cables from the engines to the helm and use a 10 pin CAN link between junction boxes in place of the 2 pin CAN link mentioned above.  We have numerous versions and lengths of the blue data cables, you want the ones with a single termination resistor (the bright yellow band on one end) which needs to be at the engine end (terminate at the furthest ends of the network and in the case of a dual engien application, that is the engines).
    There is always a boat application that doesn't fit the norm but if you can't get it resolved, email me and we'll figure it out.  Appreciate everyone's assistance with the beta testing and am very much looking forward to all your feedback (electronic surveys going out very soon, that is the primary path to provide feedback OR you can send to my email address or the one listed in the beta sign up process).  The sky is the limit on the feedback, just realize this is only a BT module and is only on when your engine key(s) are on, so telematics in the normal sense are not possible at this level of hardware.  The primary target for this hardware is the 40-150 HP singel engine application with analog gauges BUT we do know there will be a large number of folks that will want it regardless of what gauge or display set they may already have on board.  

Finally, for those of you who did not make the beta test list, I can tell you we are planning to try to release this for ship/sale Oct 31st (depending on how well the beta testing goes) in time for the Christmas season at an MSRP of $275.  We plan to be able to make the module available for purchase through the app as well as your Mercury Marine dealer.  Stay safe and have fun!

Wally

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work Wally. I'm really glad that I came across this information and posted it for the guys on this forum. Your helpful responses have confirmed my lifelong respect for Mercruiser/Mercury products and staff!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    @Wally - Sorry I could not attend the conference call.  For my 2-engine boat with DTS, the installation was a dead-simple no-brainer, and the connection has been 100% reliable so far.  I will write up some notes on my "love to see" options for how to display the data.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Thank you Wally. I will be in touch....LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Good point @JoeStang! I still have not received my email for the access code. I requested it Tuesday
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jme097 said:
    Good point @JoeStang! I still have not received my email for the access code. I requested it Tuesday
    I haven't gotten mine either...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Wally mentioned on the call that the person doing the app emails has been behind.  He mentioned to those that didn't receive the app yet that it should come by today sometime.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    skennelly said:
    Wally mentioned on the call that the person doing the app emails has been behind.  He mentioned to those that didn't receive the app yet that it should come by today sometime.
    Same conversation I exchanged with him. I submitted for it Tuesday as well and it finally came last evening. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    All,

IF you are having any technical difficulties or just aren't getting the response(s) you expected (like not getting the app invite in a timely manner after signing up), please submit your issues to support.vvm@mercmarine.com and we will get it addressed.  Anyone who has not recieved the app invite by now please send an email immediately to this email address.  Thanks!

Wally
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    Went out today for "a 3 hour tour". ;)  Installed mine in the engine bay.  Took all of 5 minutes.  The SmartCraft plug is right next to the gear lube bottle on my motor (2014 350 MAG).  It does indeed have the yellow terminator plug on it.  I just zip tied the module and the extra wire loom to the wire loom that runs over the top of the motor, right by where I believe the thermostat is.

Great Bluetooth signal up at the dash with both my S6 edge plus and my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet.  The response is impressive, there is no perceivable lag in the response of the readings.  The Nexus 7 is a little slower to connect, but not horrible.. just not "instant" like my S6.  It is older and doesn't have Bluetooth 4.0 so that probably explains it.  If I didn't have my S6 to compare I would think its normal.

I am unable to find any pressures (oil, coolant, etc), nor can I find fuel flow rate in the app.  I can see RPM, coolant temp, voltage, speed.  Related to fuel, there is an "average MPG", time till empty, miles till empty, gallons left and I think one more thing, but no flow rate.. or "real time" MPG or GPH.  Might be worth having.

So far so good though... I'm going out tomorrow and will look some more.  Used the "map" for a minute too.. couldn't find the entry to a channel.. it was basic, but nice to have in the same app.  OK.. more later.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    @Mike_G, Fuel flow is one of the important features all customers are wanting! Is it, you can't find the feature or you are not receiving the signal? Wally's post said it takes the reading from the injectors
  • Options
    Come on rain stop already....it's been pouring all night and still is.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds Ike SW Florida!
  • Options
    Well it stopped raining.  I plugged the module into the only connector that would fit it.  It didn't have a yellow terminator????

App says no engine found and the smart craft led is not lit on the module :(
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    Well it stopped raining.  I plugged the module into the only connector that would fit it.  It didn't have a yellow terminator????

App says no engine found and the smart craft led is not lit on the module :(
    Gotta have a yellow terminator on the other end of the harness the module came with...your local marine dealer should have one for you if it wasn't on the plug at the motor already.  
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    @elarson5757 - first pick I uploaded shows a terminator on the plug.  It's more green than yellow.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @skennelly that's not at all what mine looked like and that's not a Smartcraft terminator plug.   I attached a pic of one and although this is not my boat, this is exactly what the terminator plug in mine looked like. It even says terminator right across the yellow plastic "bar". 

It it could be that yours is what this one looks like if you remove the yellow bar:clip from the end and I have no idea what if anything that does.  All I did was remove that plug from the motor, plug in the new plug from the harness and then put the terminator plug I took off the motor in the open end of the harness from the module. 

• Options
    @elarson5757 - I looked everywhere and I don't have another plug that will fit the bluetooth harness....nor do I see any yellow terminator cap.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Wonder if I just need to buy a yellow terminator?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need the terminator. I powered mine up without it and the Smartcraft LED wouldn't light. Plugged the terminator in, bingo, lights up. Now I just need the app. Grr...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    edited August 2016
    [edit:  I had posted a list of bug reports and feature requests, but I decided to remove it from the public forum.]
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The harness I am connecting to says CAN Line, is this correct?

@skennelly mine looks the same and I don't have a Yellow cap.  The cap that was on the CAN line harness looks exactly like the cap that comes on the Bluetooth harness, pic below.  I am getting the Bluetooth light and but the Smartcraft light isn't turning on. I'm not even picking up the Bluetooth signal on phone or iPad.

Looks like I need to order one.  Was it just lost at some point? 

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @06Rinker270 - mine had a cap on the connector but I guess it's just a weather cap.  So I'm guessing it never came with the motor????

I had no problem connecting to the bluetooth.  But the smartcraft isn't on for me either. 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I just got one off Great Lakes skipper.  

@skennelly i got Bluetooth to connect.  Mine scans and the days "error no engine found".  I am hoping that is due to the terminator plug.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    06Rinker270 - Yes I could connect, but the app would go through its checks and say "engine not found" since the smart craft light isn't on.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3