Options

Looking at buying a 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 - what to watch out for?

Comments

• Options
    Tex68Tex68 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    @J3ff my buddy after several years of going out on our boat took the plunge 2 years ago (wow ime flies when your boating) and bought a 06 270 FV with the Volvo 5.7 GXI. He takes his family of 5 out and their retriever and has had no real struggles in the power Dept. You should be fine going with a Merc since the have the BIII outdrive, but if you wind up finding another similar boat with any Volvo motor in it make absolutely sure the outdrive is not Volvo's XDP drive. I won't go into a whole lot of details as I am sure you can search this forum for the horror stories around this outdrive. Volvo engines are solid I had the 8.1 OSI before I bought my 310 EC. As for trailering both my buddy and I trailer our boats. 9'1" isn't really going to be that noticible from 8'6" so for short distances IMO I wouldn't bother with a permit. Mine is 10'6" and. Do have a permit but it cost me a whole $8 for an entire year. Good luck on the 270 the lay out is very accommodating and you and your family will love it. Here are some pics of his boat and mine...
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

Had a pretty amazing first couple days on the boat this weekend with a HUGE dud at the end. 

First of all, the fridge is stuck in the ON position. The little  dial doesn't turn either direction even with pliers. Excellent <sigh>, this may contribute to the second huge problem...

Only have owned the boat for 36 hours, but noticed that with the battery switch to #1 it was weak to start....switched it over to #2 and it was fine on Saturday. This morning #1 wouldn't start the boat... switched to #2, wasn't gonna cut it. Put it to "emergency" and it started right up.

Figured OKAY we have some kind of issue here, but I had a 20 or so minute ride ahead of me so I figured it'd charge up the batteries (there are actually three!) on the way out, I'd turn the switch to OFF during the day and would deal with the problems during the week (diagnosing what is causing this issue).. 

Well........I was getting an alarm while running on battery #1 towards the end of the day... even if you revved it up. Switched to #2 on the switch and the alarm goes away... switch back to 1 and it comes back.

<okay battery #1 is shot>

Started her up on 2 at the end of the day... got back to the dock, hung out during a rain storm for an hour or so and when I went to go start her to move her out to the mooring, boat wouldn't start on either battery or even when set to the "both" setting.

This means I have THREE dead batteries on this boat after 36 hours of use.

Here is a video of the alarm tonight at the dock.

https://goo.gl/photos/UULXcnV4xNF2gEf5A  I assume this is a "your batteries are dead stupid" alarm as if you try to crank, it failed to even do one revolution. 

As I type this out it sounds to me like there's a problem with the alternator or charging system, but probably not the actual batteries. Even if I have to replace batteries I don't care. 

I suppose this could go un-noticed by the seller as he plugged it in after every outing... however that is not how I am going to use this boat. It's going to be on a mooring and there will be VERY limited time that it'll be on a charger. At the moment it's in a temp slip that it shouldn't be in and I have to go move it tomorrow after work (will bring a jump pack). 

One thing that was odd (and is still odd) is the voltage meter doesn't work.. he claimed that the dealer screwed it up and he never bothered to fix it. Well... I guess I'll add that to the "fix next weekend" list.

At the moment I think the list goes like this:

1. Figure out why batteries were not being charged at all by engine/alternator.
    2. Replace batteries if needed.
    3. Fix fridge so it can be turned off.
    4. Fix voltage meter in the dash/buy one that you plug into the cig lighter.

I have to admit I am very dissapointed that I have to chase down a problem like this when the seller described the boat as "like new" in writing in his ad and told me "it's never let me down"

I did send the seller a text letting him know that the boat was not operational tonight.. and that I wasn't thrilled about it. 

We'll see what he says. I figure best case senario is the alternator needs replacing. 

Sigh. Such is life I guess. 

It was REALLY nice hanging out on it all weekend though!!

• Options
    edited August 2016
    ps. left it hooked up to shore power and on the charger overnight, I'm sure it'll start right up tomorrow.. will bring a multimeter with me tomorrow to see how much the alternator/charging system is delivering to the batteries.   Was hoping I wouldn't have to learn how the system is rigged until winter. ie. it's got three batteries, but a switch that only has #1 and #2.. 

On my 1987 boat that I just sold, it didn't have a battery switch, but it did have an ancient isolator that would let the house battery completely die without touching the starting battery but the second the engine was running, it'd charge both batteries. I was hoping this boat would be the same.. 
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I use SeaHawk Smart Solutions paint on my bottom and drive... It is a non-conductive paint so no 1" ring is required. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff I had same problem with fridge but was able to take switch out loosen up with channel locks and re install switch. It was just stuck at that setting. 
    Sounds like The fridge drained you battrie. As if its like mine it is AC/DC when hooked to shore power its AC when underway its DC. So you were without shore power for a day, I bet you get the fridge turned off you will solve the problem.
    There should be a volt meter on you onboard charger. With light ind-cater. When pluged into shore power you can tell where your batteries are at. Of course you will have to check the dates on batteries to see how old they are.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Had the exact problem with the fridge.  Carefully unsnap the clips that hold the copper thermostat wire to the back of the oval shaped freezer coil.  Remove the screws around the switch.  Remove switch assembly there should be a plastic plug behind it just simply unplug and remove. Spray some PB blaster or 10W-40.  Took me a little while but it freed up.  Your  refrigerator will drain the battery while on     I now keep replaying stick bottles of water in the freezer section when I'm leaving the dock I turn the refrigerator off and the three frozen bottles of water keep everything cool while I'm out 
    ALSO, check the water level inside batteries.  When in constant charge the water level may be low....add distilled water only:)
    Post edited by Trashman on
  • Options
     Also if I may add, I'm not sure it is a good idea ever to switch the battery switch while the engine is running. I vaguely remember being told this.  I understand you did this to get it started so that's not a problem of course.  The fridge is definitely the culprit.   You need to free up the switch and confirm its turning on and off.  The circuit board makes contact with a little metal arm( I'm sure there's a technical term, lol) be sure it's clean and making contact. And be sure when you replace its free of oil. You may be able to add a little dielectric grease. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fridge should not drain the batteries down....perhaps if it is running full blast. First thing I did when I bought our boat was to replace batteries. Had issue with the starter that I'm sure killed the batteries, but they were old anyway. How old are these? Might just be a boatin thing ya know....my fridge also would not turn off and I kept working it until it would turn off, probably gets a lot of moisture in the switch and gets crudded up. It took me a good year to "get the bugs" out of my "low hours, like new" boat so don't give up!
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Hey man if this is all the problems you got you got a great boat!! Not too bad . 

I ran my boat sunday and I always leave the fridge on and pretty high up. About 3/4 of the way towards max. Keeps stuff ice cold. Never has drained my batteries completely down. Even sitting there all day at the island cranking the radio and everything. Sounds like either your batteries are just shot from old age or its not charging properly. The fact that the volt meter isnt working makes it seem as though maybe its not charging.  Thats all easy stuff to diagnose. 

1) a get a volt meter and check the voltage running off the back lug of the alternator. Should be 13.4-14.2 volts running.

2) With meter on battery terminal have someone crank the engine to fire. The volts should never drop below 9volts when cranking if it is more then likely battery is shot. 
    3) Mine has two batteries. 3 is even better. Make sure they are wired right to the switch. Maybe wiring got messed up when they installed the 3rd one and did it wrong. Look at google for wiring for a 4 position battery switch. 
    4) The fridge will definately draw the battery dead in a few days if left at a mooring with no battery charger. So I would turn your battery switch to off when not in use. 

I also bought a battery pack while back and always keep it on my boat and charged up in the event I ever run out of juice I can start it up. But to date ....knock on wood....i have never had to use it.  

Looking forward to checking this new boat out once you get settled. We aren't far from each other.
  • Options
    For sure, thanks again all.

Left the boat overnight with the charger on, came down and well.........it wont start... same low battery warning.

I did talk to the seller and he claims that last week he and a friend went through the entire thing and it was putting out 14.4 from the alternator and the batteries were right at 12.2 when resting. I find it hard to believe, but as I said, replacing three batteries was one of the first things I figured would have to be done. They are also a little small - will probably just get 3 of the biggest that advance auto sells (with their longest warranty).

Friend is coming down with a multimeter to see what's up. 

• Options
    ps. seller said batteries are 3 or 4 years old.. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff - For what's it's worth I had some similar problems 2 weeks ago.  Boat starts right up went out and anchored for a few hours.  Went to start up and battery 1 and 2 were both dead.  Had to get a jump from Seatow (best insurance I ever bought btw).  I did some checking and the alternator I figured was shot.  The batteries were also getting old.  I ended replacing all 3 factors.  I'm betting the bad alternator eventually took a toll on the batteries as well.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    J3ff, Your seller got all the usefull life out of those battries, you are right buy new ones. alternator maybe ok if he said it was putting out 14.4
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    J3ff, It's easy to get wire's mixed up when changeing battrie's wiring, especially if there is  beer involved. Reminder: take picture first.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Haha, well... I swapped a battery with a battery that I know was fully charged as of Friday and this battery is not only fully charged but also 1/3 bigger and more powerful. 

Not looking good, motor still turns over weak and doesn't start...meanwhile all other accessories function as normal. - dont want to have to learn how to change a starter on this already. SIGH!
  • Options
    Best to get correct fitment for the oem batteries so they secure properly. Be sure the positive sides are correctly covered with their rubber boots. I also purchased covers for the threaded side of the terminals. The last thing you want is to create a sparkle show while sitting on top of 100 gallon of liquid fun, just sayin.  
     As for the third battery, probably was installed as a house battery maybe?  3-4 years is the life of batteries these days sad to say. Just a thought... The sudden depletion of the batteries is unusual and the fridge would drain them, maybe the volt meter was disconnected because alt isnt working?   The alt isnt a big dollar item. Best advise was TAKE PICS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING,LOL. 
  • Options
    Already have them :) luckily my best friend owns a big repair shop in town, he'll be down shortly and I'm sure can figure out which part of the system isn't working, just kind of not what I wanted to spend time doing on a newly purchased boat, I guess that's how it goes though.

Right now working on replacing the radio with a new kenwood (that someone here posted about) with remotes, etc.. 
  • Options
    that sucks. Just did my starter too in my boat few months ago. Mine just totally stopped working. 
  • Options
    @jmichels - did you have to pull the engine to do the starter....I'm assuming so.

Sorry about derailing the thread a bit :smile:
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Mechanic came down, tried five different ways with various batteries and jump packs to verify that the starter needs to be switched out, cleaned contacts to starter, did the same thing over and over and over  So we're on to that I guess. SIGH!!!

Guess I need to find a mechanic to bust out another 1000 for. 
  • Options
    Hang in there, even Michael Phelps did not win his first Olympics. Its just maintenance, you will get her all fixed up. what is her name?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Another problem... lol, keep on adding them to my list... The new Kenwood head unit is in and installed, now there's a pretty audible hiss from the speakers no matter what volume (even 0).. quick google search says bad ground.. might leave this one till winter. 
  • Options
    Maybe theres a bad ground to the engine....
  • Options
    Trashman said:
    Maybe theres a bad ground to the engine....
    We did investigate that... and it's still on the drawing board as a possibility. The way we tried to eliminate that was by taking some jumper cables and putting one clamp on the negative terminal of the new fully charged battery and then clamping it to a good spot on the engine to ground it to. This would in theory have eliminated the need for the installed ground wire to provide grounding.. engine did the same slow crank non start.

However the hiss on the new stereo seems to indicate a grounding problem as well.

Going to leave it on the house charger for a few days and see what happens.  
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    randy56 said:
    Hang in there, even Michael Phelps did not win his first Olympics. Its just maintenance, you will get her all fixed up. what is her name?
    Haven't decided yet... "Dock Queen" might be in the running.  Pretty annoyed about this to be honest, I know things are sold "as is" but my 1987 boat always started. The seller says he's pretty upset about it and swearing he's a good Christian. Who knows what the real deal is.   

Is this the correct starter? https://www.amazon.com/MERCRUISER-STARTER-18-5913-50-12121A2-3854751/dp/B0099XU8LA 

Need to order it asap and a friend will come down and help get it installed (will be paying him the normal rate 120/hr).. 

On a positive note - the smell I referenced earlier is almost all gone.  Just needed a gallon of bilge cleaner. AND there's always worse. Today as my mechanic friend was digging through my boat, he happened to look at a boat on a mooring that is part of my club and said "that boat is sinking!!" sure enough, water was up over the engines and the poor boat was on its way down, so we of course called the owner and had 4 or 5 guys helping out and pumped it out with a crash pump... poor boat is totaled :(  

• Options
    skennelly said:
    @jmichels - did you have to pull the engine to do the starter....I'm assuming so.

Sorry about derailing the thread a bit :smile:
    Cmon - pull the engine to do the starter??? 
  • Options
    @J3ff - dumb question?  Never have done it before on my 270...I know some boats it's the only way to get access to it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to the Merc Parts finder and plug in your engine serial number to get the correct part number for the starter.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/parts-catalog

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    its really not bad about 45 min job. did mine this spring. 
  • Options
    I suppose I might as well replace the alternator while we're going all out.

3 new batteries, 1 starter - ordered (thanks Jmichels for the exact starter needed).

Need to figure out the required alternator... don't really feel like going back down there to get the number, there's no way to figure it out from here right?