Options

Looking at buying a 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 - what to watch out for?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would love my 342. Smells like diesel. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. LOL
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Eeeeeew diesel smell like $%!t..........................
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other thing I'd like to take care of is just a silly thing, these switches are old and washed out, would probably want to replace them if it's not too much of a pain... 

stern light cover is yellow and I'd go through the boat and replace with all LED's for nav lights and such as well... good winter project. 
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Sounds great Jeff. Definately have it surveyed and infact you will need to anyways to get it insured. The odor could be from a bunch of things. Check the shower sump as others have said. Also check for any mold with a moisture meter and lastly and most importantly are you sure it wasn't a fuel smell? I would highly suggest before or during the survey there are a few real important things to check that can be costly.

1) remove the screw down fuel filter and also the primary one that comes right off the tank. (looks like a little tube with barbed fittings) dump each filter into a bottle and put paper towel at the top as a filter. Check and see if you see small pieces of rust and aluminum. When my tank started going back had a I checked this during my survey I could have found it and negotiated the price down for a new tank. Instead I got stuck replacing the tank a year later and pulled filters and dumped them and found tons of rust in them and metal from the rotting tank. 

2) I had that vibration you are talking about and mine was caused by 2 things but can be 3. First off I had a feeling my gimbal bearing was going because I could hear it "growling" when it idled. I was right when I pulled it was just starting to go. Replaced it. Second also found out my bell housing for the drive had one of the "ears" where the pins go through had a crack in it probably from previous owner hitting something underwater accidentally and not knowing. I replaced the bellhousing. Last is the props. If the props are real clean or have any knicks can cause a virbration. And ok number 4 if the u joints are going it can do that as well. Typically if you lift the drive all the way up at idle itll get noisy. then put it down and quiets up usually U joints. 

3) last thing often overlooked and is costly to replace is the drive carrier bearing. You just need to pull off both props and you will see the housing of the carrier bearing. If you see lots of pitting around it and corrosion it will need to be done soon and is a expensive job. If it fails itll let water into the drive and itll be toast in short order. 

Sounds like a nice boat otherwise. I look forward to checking it out if you do get it. Keep us informed ! 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vibration worries me, even fully trimmed down. Should not vibrate. There may well be some wear at 800 hours. Do you have maintenance logs. Has drive alignment ever been done?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get the boat, the switches and lights are cosmetic stuff. There are owners on here, including myself, that have replaced the switch covers and the lights with LED's. We can steer you in the right direction. Good luck!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Question about the AC, I have seen others who say they run it off of a honda 2000i generator that's rated at 16amps.  The owner said that the AC requires 30 amps and he won't run it unless he's at the dock plugged into a true 30amp source... claims it'll burn it out if it's anything less.

I'd want to be setup to run the AC out on the water if needed, so is he being overly cautious or am I going to be looking for a generator with a 30 amp outlet? 
  • Options
    @J3ff when you say "I'd want to be setup to run the AC out on the water if needed" do you mean air conditioner or AC voltage? If its air conditioner you can not run it out of the water. It needs to pump water through the system. Also who ever said you need a "true" 30 amp source does not know what they are talking about. Most air conditioners draw around 12 to 15 amps.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Hey ray - I meant I wanted to be able to use the air coniditioning on the water.... I've seen a few posts around the net where people put a honda 2000i generator on the swim platform and use it to power the boat using a shore power adapter and it seems to run their Air conditioning just fine.. but the current owner (seller) says not to run it off a generator and that it needs 30 amps.  Thanks for clearing up that it doesn't need 30 amps. 
  • Options
    vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    My last boat was 2001 fv242, the smaller version of 270, I ran the a/c off of a honda generator all of the time & did not have any problems. I sat the generator on the lowest part of the swim platfor & had  bungee cords to hold it in place. Also had a c/o detector in the cockpit area & made sure the 1 in the cabin was working.
    Plus I only used the bow anchor, to make sure the boat would swing with the wind.
    I don't see any issues if you do it right.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    .....The owner said that the AC requires 30 amps and he won't run it unless he's at the dock plugged into a true 30amp source... 
    There is an obvious flaw in that statement.  If the AC required 30A and it was connected to a 30A circuit then you could not run anything else off of that 30A shore power line while the AC was running.

The 6,000 BTU AC on my 270 draws ~6A (~650 Watts).  I have powered it with a generator rated at 1600 W running (2000 W starting).  The microwave does not work well while the AC is on however (when on the  generator).  

Keep in mind that Honda makes at EU2000i Companion model that has a 30A  receptacle (just confirm the the 30A receptacle has power even when the generator is used by itself, that is without a second generator in parallel mode) .  The EU2000i base model does not have a 30A receptacle.  The Companion model will enable you to plug your shore power cord directly into the generator.  Otherwise you will need to make up an adapter to connect the generator 20A receptacle to the boat 30A receptacle or connect the boat/AC to the generator in some other way.  You will of course need to self manage the load that you put on the generator because it will likely not be able to supply power to all of your boats systems at the same time (like shore power can).

The 20A receptacle is the same form factor as is used in your house (it accepts 2 and 3 prong plugs).  The 30A receptacle takes 3 prong plugs on the circular pattern as is on your shore power cord.    

Lastly yet perhaps most important, a nice safety feature on that generator is the fuel vent closure.  Make sure the vent is closed while the generator is not in use and you will cut down on the risk of unwanted gas fumes.

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    On the topic of generators, I highly recommend against buying a Honda knockoff like a Powerhorse/Northern Tool generator.  I have one that was given to me, but it is MUCH louder than the Honda.  Don't let the specs fool you either.  

Powerhorse (61 dB(A) at full load)
    Honda (59 dB(A) at full load)

With a little digging you will find that Honda measures the noise rating at 3 meters while Powerhorse measures at 7 meters.  Scaled for distance, the sound pressure level of the Powerhorse is almost 10 times that of the Honda!

Also, buy one or better yet two carbon monoxide detectors for the cabin and verify that they work.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vibration is true when u move the pin on the outdrive it lower all the why down and touch the transom. Up on plane just touch of trim and it will stop.with pin moved help the planing a bit.I have same boat same sound.good luck.oh I see you have no hot water??
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Yeah, he has hot water disconnected, I'm not worried about it, I've never used the hot water on my current boat, if anything a nice cool freshwater shower at the end of the day is PERFECT right before bed. 

MD, don't worry, I won't be getting a knock off and I really don't expect to need to run it much, only on the hottest of days. My current boat (1987 Cruisers INC Holiday 25) has never had AC and in the past 4 years I can only remember ONE time that I was wishing it had it.   Will just be nice to be able to have the option, you know

• Options
    Reneechris, what pin are you talking about? 
  • Options
    So a few questions - not really what I'm thinking is going to happen but wondering what stuff costs on this boat since we are talking about 800 hrs here. 

Assuming worst case scenario: 

- What does it cost to have the B3 rebuilt/replaced
    - What would a repower to a higher HP cost?
    - Say the AC stop works immediately, what kind of cost is it to have that replaced? 
  • Options
    -rebuilt B3 -3-4k though not likely. they are very strong units unless something went bad and wasnt maintained and water got in very reliable. 
    - haha have looked at this many times Easiest option is 383 mag mpi. Price installed is around 10-11k
    -Very expensive to have ac installed in a boat that didnt have it. but being that you do already parts are little costly when they break but not earth shattering usually. Maybe 300-400 if something fails . 

All in low cost and the 350 mag mpi are good engines. long its maintained and not pounded on I have seen them last 1200-1500 hours. Being that its not FWC you will need to do the heads very soon if they arent done already. The salt water can rot them out and then you get water in the block and its done. Looks like the top end on that motor may already be redone. Very clean. Good luck and keep us posted. Only few towns away if you need any help!

• Options
    Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised when the seller let me drive 98% of the run and when I brought up RPM's vs gps speed he said "go ahead and pin the throttle and leave it there"

The thing ran faster then I'd ever need... 38/39 gps. right at the RPMS you guys and other threads have mentioned.

So back to the Air conditioning.  This boat does NOT have a generator built in.  Does that mean you can't run the Air conditioning when the motor is running?  

Today on the way in it was beautiful on the water, but super hot in the harbor.. it would have been perfect to have a nice cool cabin... is it true that you can only run the AC while on dock power or on Honda 2000i generator power? I just ordered one of those honda generators 10 mins ago for the purpose of Air conditioning.  
  • Options
    Awesome sounds rock solid. Thats excellent mph for that boat. How much gas and water was in it and how many passengers? where was this boat again?

Ya cant run the AC unless plugged into shore power.....or a generator plugged into your shore power works just fine too. dont need built in.

Yup honda is number one rated. wont be disappointed. On side note though if you open up cabin windows and hatch while cruising at all it is actually pretty cool down there. Seems pretty well insulated with the headliner and stuff. The humidity is what kills it though. 
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I had the musty smell also.
    My culprits were:
    the three compartments under the v berth needed a cleaning.
    The rug I cleaned with a spray cleaner( similar to simple green) and a wet towel soaked in fabric softner   I then shop vac the carpets to remove moisture.
    Like dazeoff said,   The hatch behind the step that contains the shower sump and a/c and toilet valves needed a good cleaning. Also, the a/c vent hose inside there is probably moldy inside, id replace that for sure for respitory reasons.
    And finally ordered a jabsco toilet rebuild kit so waste water stays where it should.      I cleaned all these areas with a good degreaser/cleaner and papertowels then BLEACH and water....carefully of course.  LET IT ALL AIR OUT GOOD WITH A FAN DURING AND AFTER BLEACHING.  
    the trim tab actuators prob need replacing at 130.00 each.  IMO, depending on what has recently been replaced and what options it doesn't have, I think theres wiggle room for sure in that price if some big ticket items arent fairly new.    
    Ps: Please pull that boat out of the water and look at the drive!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to the Air Conditioner, I run mine with a Ryobi generator that is almost as quiet as the Honda. The thing I like about the Ryobi is that is has wheels, so I don't have to carry it 300+ feet down the dock. I just mounted mine in the engine room so I can have it with me at all time. NO, I DO NOT RUN IT in the engine room. I just store it there with some straps. Like the Honda, the Ryobi is a DC generator with an inverter to produce the 120VAC. I am happy with it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Trashman said:
    I had the musty smell also.
    My culprits were:
    the three compartments under the v berth needed a cleaning.
    The rug I cleaned with a spray cleaner( similar to simple green) and a wet towel soaked in fabric softner   I then shop vac the carpets to remove moisture.
    Like dazeoff said,   The hatch behind the step that contains the shower sump and a/c and toilet valves needed a good cleaning. Also, the a/c vent hose inside there is probably moldy inside, id replace that for sure for respitory reasons.
    And finally ordered a jabsco toilet rebuild kit so waste water stays where it should.      I cleaned all these areas with a good degreaser/cleaner and papertowels then BLEACH and water....carefully of course.  LET IT ALL AIR OUT GOOD WITH A FAN DURING AND AFTER BLEACHING.  
    the trim tab actuators prob need replacing at 130.00 each.  IMO, depending on what has recently been replaced and what options it doesn't have, I think theres wiggle room for sure in that price if some big ticket items arent fairly new.    
    Ps: Please pull that boat out of the water and look at the drive!
    Will do, boat is coming out of the water the next time I see it. Will snap some pictures. Thank you for the advice about the compartments, etc.. 
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    Back to the Air Conditioner, I run mine with a Ryobi generator that is almost as quiet as the Honda. The thing I like about the Ryobi is that is has wheels, so I don't have to carry it 300+ feet down the dock. I just mounted mine in the engine room so I can have it with me at all time. NO, I DO NOT RUN IT in the engine room. I just store it there with some straps. Like the Honda, the Ryobi is a DC generator with an inverter to produce the 120VAC. I am happy with it.
    Excellent! Thank you for the info!
  • Options
    Sold my current boat today! Looks like the pickup date for the 270 will be Saturday!
  • Options
    That's awesome best of luck.....
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the best two days
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LoL - I've had soooo many great days with the boat I just sold today... this was yesterday... mines the red one :smile: for this one at least, it's not a super happy day selling it, would keep both if I had the $$ for two slips!! 
    fun.jpg 134.9K
  • Options
    I'm starting to wonder if the AC was added to this boat.. 

1. I haven't seen any other 2004 270 without heat but has AC.. this seems to be the only one. 

2. Seems like everyone has a digital control panel near the tv.. this one has an analogue dial near where I assume your feet go in the rear bed. 

I already have a propane "mr buddy" heater to use when needed...so I guess that's not a big deal... just weird that it seems to be the only one of its kind.. any thoughts?
  • Options
    It also only has one power input in for shorepower, I see others mentioning three?!
  • Options
    adding the ac definately seems likely. Not sure what you mean one power input?