Options

Looking at buying a 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 - what to watch out for?

Comments

• Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    u can try but u will need that number off the motor time and time again might as well get it lol
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the serial number on your survey? Mine had it an I reference it more often than I probably should. If not, next time you are at the boat, snap a photo of them on your phone. I have done that with most parts on the boat so I have a collection of photos with part numbers and makes.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff - I literally just replaced my alternator it was 863077-1 70AMP for a Mag 350
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can do the starter without pulling the motor but it is a head standing event for sure. I would also look at having it rebuilt- had mine done for $135.00 and have had no issues. Mine had gotten wet- which means at some point there was a good amount of water in the bilge. It's right on the bottom of the motor and would not take much down there to do damage, especially if your getting on plane and what little water is in there is building up against the back of the transom....all your stuff so far sounds like a little maintenance stuff- there are a lot worse threads on here for sure about recently purchased boats. I'd assume nothing has been done and go from front to back, well mostly back. Check out that bellows also, perhaps why your dock mates boat sank. I trailer mine so I keep an eye on it. My a/c here in FL will actually put a ton of water down there...good luck! Keep posting and you'll get through it. It's a great boat.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all - 

skennelly said:
    @J3ff - I literally just replaced my alternator it was 863077-1 70AMP for a Mag 350
    thank you! Ordered, just to have on Friday (last vacation day of the summer)... would rather be over prepared then under prepared.. 
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Just to add to rasbury's post, It took a while for me to figure out that the ac unit drains into bilge, lol.  I was vacuuming the bilge dry to find the leak.  It enters on the side where the batteries are and i never noticed.  I was going nutz looking for the source of water in the bilge.  The cup holders also have drain tubes that drain to the bilge. ... Just a fyi 
  • Options
    that's funny @Trashman, same here, thought the boat was sinking. I'm sure that condensation depends on the heat and you can imagine how much was generated here in FL! I have a real nice cover on it now and everything is staying nice and dry thank goodness...
  • Options
    Just finished swapping the starter, she kind of sputtered to a start, oil pressure didn't FLY up like normal, was worried about something worse going on... maybe the cylinders were full of fuel or something, but after 5 starts and 20 mins of running all appears normal. Will have to test out the alternator in the morning. A small victory was made tonight, lets hope we're good to go!
  • Options
    A small victory was made and I may have won the starting battle, but I've lost the war.

Right before the no start, we had checked the oil and it was high, but...not a bad color, infact it was a fine color.

Before heading out on it I wanted to get the oil back to a regular level... so today I packed up all happy that my boat is working again, but went down to get some oil out.

My heart sank when I pulled the dipstick out and found this:

So I guess the worst possible (aside from sinking) has happened, I'm now stuck at the dock (actually on a mooring) until further notice. 

New names being considered for this boat if I ever get it fixed: "dock queen"  "what's next"  "no escape" "Does she run?"

The real problem here is that I've checked the oil almost every day and it's been regular color all the way up till this morning :(

:'(  :|:(
  • Options
    Sorry!
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang it man, how many hours have you owned this boat. I hope you got a good deal on it. Sorry
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    "always broken" 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    randy56 said:
    Dang it man, how many hours have you owned this boat. I hope you got a good deal on it. Sorry
    I'd call the deal "good" 5-7k under what all the other craigslist ads wanted.  Tomorrow will be ONE week of ownership. 

The one thing I'm actually on the seller about is that today when I ask for all records (because seller said "it's always been serviced at the dealership")  suddenly the risers, manifolds and elbows are "4 years old"  when in the craigslist add it specifically says "NEW RISERS MANIFOLDS AND ELBOWS" and he told me they were new in person too. 

So he backpedaled a little when I called him on that BS...will see what happens there. 
  • Options
    wow, sorry.....heck mine are older than that....will be interesting to see what he comes up with proof of the change...and when.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Risers and manifolds will not put water in the oil??
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Very sorry to here you so pumped when you got her (always broke)
  • Options
    Risers and manifolds will not put water in the oil??
    That's what I thought... but a few ppl have said they do... at this point it'll be dropped off at the mechanic sometime next week and I'm just hoping it's 10k or less to fix it.  (or if it's more, I'll just have it towed to it's winter home and they can mess with it over the winter and I'll put my 19 ft 2000 bayliner bow rider in for the rest of the season..)
  • Options
    I had a 23 Doral with a cracked block.$1700 at engine shop for new Block bord and pistons.pulled in one day back in next week end.
  • Options
    I had a 23 Doral with a cracked block.$1700 at engine shop for new Block bord and pistons.pulled in one day back in next week end.
    I have such a bad feeling about this... if it's less then 5k I'll be thrilled. 1700 and I'd go buy a lottery ticket. 
  • Options
    One friend is saying "check the oil cooler" where the heck is that located on this boat? 
  • Options
    looking at engine diagrams and parts lists I don't think our 350 mpi has a oil cooler....just a power steering oil cooler.  If you did have one it would have to be in-line with the raw water hose.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    at this point I can't get the oil out, pumps aren't working, must just be too thick... oh well..

Worst purchase of my life so far (I'm sure they'll be something even worse in the future!)
  • Options
    No oil cooler.I have the same motor 350mpi.
  • Options
    There's a plug on the pan.could drain there but in a pan or in the blige??
  • Options
    1700 is dropping of the long block.the rest is up to you
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    There may be a drain hose that you pass through the bilge drain plug opening.
  • Options
    Md boater is right that is the best add on.MD did you sell your boat?(don't want to hijack the thread)
  • Options
    Hmm, I went through parts diagrams looking for an oil drain plug, didn't see it, but if there is one that'll be the new goal for today I guess.. 
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    @reneechris14:  Not yet.  Someone looking at it next weekend.
  • Options
    Have to lay down between batters and manifold to reach it.but you just did that because you changed the starter.may be drain in to pan then sucks out with pump.