Options

Looking at buying a 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 - what to watch out for?

Comments

• Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    I have also seen boats there were demos for dealers long time ago when the dealer could order a boat with specific options taylored to what they want versus the factory production runs. This could have been one of those and why it differs from the norm slightly. Either way I wouldnt shy away just cause AC was added. As long as it was done properly no big deal. It can always be upgraded too
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff I've never heard of one with out heat either. Most 270's have only one 30 amp shore power hook up. Not sure about mr buddy and sleeping. If the boat does not have a good carbon monoxide  dector buy a new one. If you over nite at a slip. One of those small electric heater"s with fan will do fine. It will be to hot, probably have to run it on low or get one with thermostat. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you only have one place to plug in or two? This boat only has one --> http://imt.boatwizard.com/images/1/39/22/5853922_20160630052651691_1_XLARGE.jpg but I seem to remember people talking about having two or three of these.. 
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    J3ff I've never heard of one with out heat either. Most 270's have only one 30 amp shore power hook up. Not sure about mr buddy and sleeping. If the boat does not have a good carbon monoxide  dector buy a new one. If you over nite at a slip. One of those small electric heater"s with fan will do fine. It will be to hot, probably have to run it on low or get one with thermostat. 
    Don't worry - I wouldn't run anything (A/C with a generator or heat) when sleeping... just too much to lose (my life) :smile: . I've used my current boat as a small tiny apartment at times...a place to get away from it all because I've got a large extended family and there is ALWAYS someone over or some kind of party going on... so it's nice to go down to the boat and hang out in peace and quiet.. even have done it during the winter while it's up on stands.. planning to do a few winter projects on this as well, so that's where the MR buddy heater will come into play, also like to be the last one out.. 
  • Options
    What part of this great country do you live?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    North East... AC is rarely needed at night... to be honest the only time it'll really be needed is at the dock, it gets hot in the harbor...a few miles out, no need at all. 
  • Options
    DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    I'm starting to wonder if the AC was added to this boat.. 

1. I haven't seen any other 2004 270 without heat but has AC.. this seems to be the only one. 

2. Seems like everyone has a digital control panel near the tv.. this one has an analogue dial near where I assume your feet go in the rear bed. 

I already have a propane "mr buddy" heater to use when needed...so I guess that's not a big deal... just weird that it seems to be the only one of its kind.. any thoughts?
    I have the same set up as you. The dealer installed the AC instead of the factory and the original buyer didn't care about heat so they saved a few bucks with this set up. It works great. Cools the cabin very quickly and is great for those humid nights on the water. As for the shore power, I only have 1 port for power and 1 for cable TV next to it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    DazeOff said:
    J3ff said:
    I'm starting to wonder if the AC was added to this boat.. 

1. I haven't seen any other 2004 270 without heat but has AC.. this seems to be the only one. 

2. Seems like everyone has a digital control panel near the tv.. this one has an analogue dial near where I assume your feet go in the rear bed. 

I already have a propane "mr buddy" heater to use when needed...so I guess that's not a big deal... just weird that it seems to be the only one of its kind.. any thoughts?
    I have the same set up as you. The dealer installed the AC instead of the factory and the original buyer didn't care about heat so they saved a few bucks with this set up. It works great. Cools the cabin very quickly and is great for those humid nights on the water. As for the shore power, I only have 1 port for power and 1 for cable TV next to it.
    cool - yeah it's not a deal breaker at all... was just weird that it looked like almost all had the digital setup.. I actually think it's a bit better to have the control down near the bed... easier to adjust without getting up.. 
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    A friend on mine had a 270 with A/C only and he had a "single" shore power connection also.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here...my 2002 270 has a single 30amp input with a/c and heat.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Well that's interesting, I wonder what the difference is. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto in mine, has factory a/c and heat with one shore power but it is located on the other side of the arch than yours. I had thought the a/c and heat were kind of one unit. For where you at and had one or the other installed, you'd want the heat! Here in Florida we boat all year and for sure would want both. Great boat for our family, wish i had it in a slip to hang out on but have to save the boat bucks where I can. Good luck- lots if valuable info on here for sure...
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should only have one shore power input. The bigger boats, like the 310 and higher, usually have 2 30amp ports. The ones with three are the bigger boats that have 2 30amp ports and a port for a CATV connection. Most of the newer boats have what is call "It's Shore Choice" where there are ports on both sides of the boat so you don't have to drape the cords across the boat.

I live in Pittsburgh and I have used the heat once in the 2 1/2 years that I have owned my 280. The only reason I had the heat on was because of a chilly Steeler home game in late October that I took the boat to. I usually run the air all night in the summer when it is muggy out.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I would just make sure that the shorepower/AC was added properly.  I would want to make sure that it wasn't a DIY job done without the proper knowledge/know how.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    & to add, the 420 has 2 - 50 amp connections.  Mine has the 2 30 amp connections and CATV/Phone with shore choice, as mentioned.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Anyone put a subwoofer (doesn't have to be big, just enough to give a little bass) and an amp in their 270?  The previous owner has three batteries in there... not sure of their exact specification, but would love to add one in. 
  • Options
    Heading out at 530 am to go pick it up tomorrow!! Everything has worked out how it should, will snap pictures of the drive, etc.. 
  • Options
    There is a lot of boating season left, good timing. after labor day is the best.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited August 2016
    You don't have to tell me that! :) this was Christmas day aboard my super cheap bayliner bow rider last year.. 
    https://goo.gl/photos/qXoSwnXU6nQ6VoYCA

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Went Great, love the boat! :smile: ran at 30/31mph/4100 rpms the entire trip home.. just starting to sink in that it's my boat! 

Needs a thorough cleaning of the bildge, which I'm planning on doing first thing in the morning (the bad smell is strongest in the engine compartment.. and there's some literally GREY water in there..) Found some mold in the AC/shower sump...and yes, there was pink antifreeze in the shower sump... going to flush it all out in the morning. 

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Anyone see any drive problems? Yes the all around white light is not supposed to be hanging down. 
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    From what I can see there should be an anode on each trim cylinder, the bottom paint should not touch the drive and check the position of the props to prevent cavitation.  These are a few pics for reference. 
  • Options
    Weird, I've seen people do it both ways as far as the paint goes. 
    Good catch on the trim cylinders... it looks like he either painted over them or they aren't there.. hmmm will try and look closer tomorrow

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The props look out of sync. You need the trim anodes. You can clean the props with muriatic acid. They will shine like new. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the mercury manual. Paint should not touch drive. There should be a 1" band around the drive. Reason is that the bottom paint may be conductive and they don't want any of that stray current going through the drive. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @J3ff good lookin Rinker, anodes are easy to install on cylinders there allready threads in there for you, and you may want to consider a drive shower. It keeps outdrive cooler if you run long distance. Such as 2-3 hours at a time. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks all - yeah I'll get the anodes installed this week... weird that they aren't there?!

My trips wont be anywhere close to 2 or 3 hours... more like 30 mins tops :) 
  • Options
    the anode disc is missing also on the underside JEff. Theres one in there but not the second one. 

• Options
    beautful boat though man. Congrats! We are hitting the water shortly in ours!