Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Willhound said:
    I had to give a LOL. Who else got the meaning of the decal?😂
    Could it be a reference to drinking Tequila?   Maybe, but after the "blow me" sailboat name maybe not.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    It'll be a few weeks yet before being able to work on the boat but since I'm stuck at home I did finally get around to installing an hour meter on the inverter generator that I use on the boat.

That looks identical to the generac inverter i use on our boat.  So far we've had great luck with it.  Im a generac dealer so i got it for 10 or 20 bucks less than what you can buy them on Amazon.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It's actually a Hyundai with an Energizer badge on it. Similar to Generac though. I've got about 15 hours on it and so far runs great.
    https://www.hyundaipower.ca/hy2000p
    EDIT: I just went back and checked and I had originally ordered the non-parallel model for $649 ($450 USD) but they were out of stock so instead they offered the parallel model for the same price. Usually goes for $799 CDN ($555 USD) with 3 year warranty. I had read good things about the Hyundai's as being the "best" of the lower priced inverters as compared to Honda, Yamaha, etc. and even Generac. In fact where I work also has a tool rental/repair and we were a Generac dealer but our guys reported a lot of issues, especially getting repair parts and we dropped them. Last I heard Generac has pulled out of Canada all together except through Home Depot who are bringing them in from their US supply chain.
    Post edited by Willhound on
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wiring on my horn looked a little strange. I unscrewed it and found the wires barely twisted together and wrapped in duct tape! It trimmed the wires, used proper butt splices and sealed in with 3M 4200.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to check my horn,it's never worked since I bought the boat 3 years ago. Not sure if it's the switch or horn since I haven't checked it with my meter yet. That's one of a few things on my list. I started to replace the anchor light until I realized the new one had different spaced mounting holes. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    It's actually a Hyundai with an Energizer badge on it. Similar to Generac though. I've got about 15 hours on it and so far runs great.
    https://www.hyundaipower.ca/hy2000p
    EDIT: I just went back and checked and I had originally ordered the non-parallel model for $649 ($450 USD) but they were out of stock so instead they offered the parallel model for the same price. Usually goes for $799 CDN ($555 USD) with 3 year warranty. I had read good things about the Hyundai's as being the "best" of the lower priced inverters as compared to Honda, Yamaha, etc. and even Generac. In fact where I work also has a tool rental/repair and we were a Generac dealer but our guys reported a lot of issues, especially getting repair parts and we dropped them. Last I heard Generac has pulled out of Canada all together except through Home Depot who are bringing them in from their US supply chain.
    Most of the issues we have with inverter generators are fuel related.  Back in i think 2001 Briggs purchased generac so chances are the Briggs and generac are the same internals.  Last year was the worst year to date with Briggs and Stratton back orders.  I've had two with power production issues on the inverter side, one was a honey well and the other was either a Honda or generac

We had a shipment of Brute push mowers delivered to a local walmart by accident intended for Canada.  Getting parts was an insane hassle.  I think they are all weeded out by now.
  • Options
    I was hoping to be able to pull out more wire for the butt splices but the wire wouldn’t move. I probably could’ve tried to drop the headliner below the horn but luckily I had just enough wire to splice. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    The wiring on my horn looked a little strange. I unscrewed it and found the wires barely twisted together and wrapped in duct tape! It trimmed the wires, used proper butt splices and sealed in with 3M 4200.

Aero that’s brutal. So previous owner replaced the horn & totally half a$$ed the repair......good you fixed it.
    Our 276BR had some shoddy factory wiring under the Lewmar windlass. Was on my list to repair - but traded the boat.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura , you might be able to take the cover off and clean the contacts. Would be nice if that’s all you need to do!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't even looked that closely. Are you referring to the back cover of the horn? I'll take a look today we're about to head to the marina. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
  • Options
    Dopped 200 bucks on 2 new group 31 batteries and boxes.  Dealer discount is good.  Im ready for launch now.  We will see how the weather is on Saturday
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    Motor vessel La Rea is afloat.  As soon as decent weather coincides with a break in my schedule, we're going boating.  As I've said elsewhere, we were lucky to get splashed before they closed the marina.  If you think I'm going to share the name of the mechanic who made it happen, forget it.  Mine, mine, mine!

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    B&^%$ard.... :)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My horn never worked either! I pulled a dual horn out if the dumpster at our local marina...i think the contacts on this one need cleaned...mine does not have all it's parts and pieces...
  • Options
    @LaRea , the handle on you cabin door, is that from the factory?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    icoultha said:
    Would it help if I said the trip lasted only 10 minutes and I never got on plane?  ;-D  
  • Options
    @aero3113 the handle was there when I took ownership in 2013.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    LaRea said:
    icoultha said:
    Would it help if I said the trip lasted only 10 minutes and I never got on plane?  ;-D  
    Nope. You floated and heard that glorious sound. Lucky b*^%&d :smile:

I actually looked at mine yesterday, still inside and behind a few others. I’d say 3-4 weeks before she’s even outside.

Now to go snowblow 3-4” off the driveway...

So I thought. 5.5”
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Anyone else have dogs?  We have a pit, aierdale and a great Pyrenees.  They all have one thing in common, they hate walking on the deck.  I would like someone like seadeck but being that this is a flip boat not a life time boat i cannot justify the price.  This roll of indoor/outdoor is about 100 bucks.   I cut her to fit.  The dogs can now walk with confidence.  Feels good on the bare feet too. I will have snaps by the front steps where it could blow up/be a trip hazard
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Corvette roll acceleration
    https://youtu.be/LfaMJM5UWFQ

Took my Chevy for a stroll!
    isolation leads to acceleration lol
  • Options
    While up on the bow today I pulled back the windshield weather seal and found some screws backing out. All of the windshield screws will get resealed with 4200.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced the windshield seal on my Four Winns and it looked great and was relatively inexpensive.  The old one had shrunk significantly.  Are you replacing the seal?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I don’t know if I have to, once the wrap is off I’ll be able to look at it better.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC - I have a new roll of seal/cover from Taylormade sitting in the garage waiting to get installed once I can get to the boat. They sent me about two feet more than I need, but...

How did you determine your exact length to cut the seal when installing? I know the rubber expands/contracts with temperature - Did you do anything special to calculate proper length so it didn't wind up being too short when contracted from cold - or buckle if it gets to hot in the sun? 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I installed it cold and I cut it about 2” longer than needed and tucked it under the overlapping “pillars” where the sections of windshield met. I don’t have access to my boat and I can’t remember if the Rinker is set up the same. 

Not sure if it will be successful in the long term but for the 2 seasons I had the boat it was perfect. 

Tried to find a pic of how I tucked it under the pillars but no dice.  :|

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. That was kinda was I was planning - that the pillars would have enough overlap to account for expansion/contraction. I guess I'll have to play it by ear based on the temp when I install.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just closed the storage buildings here due to the COVID-19 till at least mid-April. 😱

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    At this stage where I am stored they are business as usual. With 2 weeks of unpaid furlough coming - 1 week April, 1 May - I am looking forward to the 3 day buffing time.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's making lemonade! Our dealership is still open and people are buying cars...amazing....