Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wrap a plastics bag under my filter as I remove it and I have nothing spill. Although I now see yours are mounted 180 degrees different than mine so nevermind. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13 , mine are mounted the same as yours.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    I punch a hole. Stuffed oil diaper under and around filter and using an electric pump, emptied the filter pretty well. Couple ounces at most got past ziplock bag. Lousy design the remote filters facing down IMHO
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use aluminum foil wrap tight as I can around the lines below. Doesn't get all but helps. I also have did the hole but there's still oil. The warmer the oil the better the flow, but to hot not good.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    aero3113 said:
    Just familiarize yourself with everything and it won’t intimidate you as much.
    My problem is just trying to fit in the spaces and have a good footing without stepping on cables or tubes -- and just trying to get decent access to things.  

I really wanted to do the starboard impeller myself when the engine overheated earlier this year, but it was just way too many contortions to try and get to it - so I forked over the money to the mechanic to do it.

I do think I may give it another try with the port impeller over the winter - and I do plan to do the fuel filters after spring launch.
  • Options
    Yea, doesn’t looks like you don’t have much room in front of the engines to work comfortably.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Tony. Yes I always had success using a screwdriver to punch a hole. Still had mess but a lot less, considerably less. 4-5 paper towels under the filter was all I needed. Nice pump! That’s what I used on my 350s and it worked awesome. Glad you got er done!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    I added the led strip lights last weekend, needed to upgrade to power supply for the length of lights. finished that up tonight and scheduled my shrink wrap for Nov 10th... :(

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Put it away for the winter today.

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Boatman that is so cool. Assume it’s dry down there? 

It was suggested to me by dealer to try their indoor heated storage this year. Cause everything drys out compared to my normal indoor cold storage (winterized engines).

Bugs me thinking about this stuff.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    @Spyderweb Unfortunately, the whole situation around my wrap is pretty frustrating. The initial install was horrible, so been trying to deal with that guy to get it resolved and he’s been MIA. Now the wrap gets ruined from a wash and these guys are MIA. Fortunately, I found a pretty reputable shop that charged less to take off the existing and re wrap that first guy did to just wrap it. Sucks, I had to pay twice now but trying to stay positive and chalk it up as a lesson learned. 
    All I can say is that someone would be paying if this was me ... one way or another, they'd be paying.
    Trust me I’d love for that to be the case but not sure what I can really do. Would cost me more in legal fees to go after them than it did to pay twice. I did leave a bad review on their FB page though so got that going for me lol 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I permanently mounted my bilge heater today. Put it at the back of the engine bay in a vertical piece of wood that was there. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MEMRGZE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xEIIFbF9BNQH1

Cleaned all the spider 💩 hopefully last time this year. 

Still waiting for my snap install tool so I can put on the new front canvas. Sailrite messed up and never sent it so I ordered another one, same style different company. 

Also replaced the sink faucet aerator in the "kitchen" so  now I have smooth flow 😎
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @Aqua_Aura - Have you checked the labeling on the heater to see if it's "UL Listed" and not just "fully safety compliant to UL and CSA standards" as they say on the sales page.

That could make a big difference in insurance coverage if the thing goes haywire and causes a fire. Anyone can build a product to UL/CSA standards, but only products actually tested and passed by UL can be "listed" -- and then you know for sure it's safer.

When I worked in healthcare if a device didn't come in as Listed, we had to get it certified by an independent lab -- or just reject it and send it back.

Lots of companies don't like getting their products tested because it costs thousands of dollars and they get by with slick marketing with claims like "built to UL/CSA" standards.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I have not and I had a feeling as soon as I posted this someone was gonna have something to say. It's specifically for boats and ignition protected so I think it's good. This company makes lots of boat fan/heater stuff.

It is listed on west marine as well so it wasn't some random thing I found on Amazon. I just posted the Amazon link since it's less expensive.  

Here is the manufacturer, it does meet all UL and USCG requirements. 

https://seekr.caframobrands.com/9510cabbx.html
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    mattie said:
    Boatman that is so cool. Assume it’s dry down there? 

It was suggested to me by dealer to try their indoor heated storage this year. Cause everything drys out compared to my normal indoor cold storage (winterized engines).

Bugs me thinking about this stuff.

Actually it's very damp in there. They do have a climate controlled section with dehumidifiers but we have been on the waiting list for that for about 3 or 4 years. I keep buckets of Damp Rid in the boat while it's in there. It stays a constant 55* all year but very damp. One year I pulled in and walked into the office. When I came out 10 minutes later my truck was completely covered in dew
  • Options
    Yup, definitely a legit company. I've been burned by some bad knock-off electronics on Amazon - just didn't want to see someone else get shafted. Hope it keeps your engine nice and toasty. :smile:  
  • Options
    This will be our 3rd winter with it, this time it's just actually mounted. Yes Amazon can be an awful place for knock off garbage. I actually have an Amazon store with my own manufactured items and it's really opened my eyes as to how much of a garbage sale Amazon can be. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I permanently mounted my bilge heater today. Put it at the back of the engine bay in a vertical piece of wood that was there. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MEMRGZE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xEIIFbF9BNQH1

Cleaned all the spider 💩 hopefully last time this year. 

Still waiting for my snap install tool so I can put on the new front canvas. Sailrite messed up and never sent it so I ordered another one, same style different company. 

Also replaced the sink faucet aerator in the "kitchen" so  now I have smooth flow 😎
    Caframo makes good stuff. Been around up here in Canada for years. All good!
    Heater will prob outlast your boat ownership....

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Well there circulation fan in the cabin didn't outlive my t-shirt 😂. I emailed them for a replacement which they were gonna do but then I realized I already tossed it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    This will be our 3rd winter with it, this time it's just actually mounted. Yes Amazon can be an awful place for knock off garbage. I actually have an Amazon store with my own manufactured items and it's really opened my eyes as to how much of a garbage sale Amazon can be. 

Could you post up a link? Im usually an eBay guy but most eBay sellers use USPS so that makes for long shipments. Anyway, I've been using Amazon much more lately. Keep the wealth in the rinker community if possible.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    If there is anything that anyone wants from there just let me know and I can have it shipped to you for free!!! I make enough money from it as is so I'm not trying to advertise and make money off the forum. 

The wire connectors are the most boat related product. 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBK9F41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_fhZIFbD7Z9FR3

https://cascadetools.com/
    Our website and that will link to Amazon. 

This is the Amazon link to our products
    https://www.amazon.com/s?me=AE9OV415QXCFC&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    If there is anything that anyone wants from there just let me know and I can have it shipped to you for free!!! I make enough money from it as is so I'm not trying to advertise and make money off the forum. 

The wire connectors are the most boat related product. 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBK9F41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_fhZIFbD7Z9FR3

https://cascadetools.com/
    Our website and that will link to Amazon. 

This is the Amazon link to our products
    https://www.amazon.com/s?me=AE9OV415QXCFC&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Thank you for sharing, I know you were not advertising as I made the request!
  • Options
    Cleaned and polished all of my window panels. Used 210 scratch remover with an orbital machine then used Star brite spray protector.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Never thought of using an orbital on the screens.. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    icoultha said:
    Never thought of using an orbital on the screens.. 
    I saw a professional cleaner on YouTube doing it. He was actually using a variable speed buffing wheel. Figured I would use the orbital first, no chance of burning them.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Also, before I cleaned the windows I sprayed all of the canvas on them with Starbrite waterproofing Spray.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    ... I feel forever unclean ...
    So many boaters know your pain.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just started using the same small hand orbiter on the clear eisenglass a couple of years ago and it saves a lot of elbow grease. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Got everything winterized & covered up for the long winter nap.

2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho