Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Put in a T before my thru hull discharge. so I can hook in my second macerator.  This will allow me to dump my holding tank into any r.v. pump out spot. I just run a garden hose into the bike and turn on hole pumps.  
  • Options
    Hole not bike.  My phone hates me.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Today, on day 9 of a 10-day cruise, I ordered all the stuff that I will need to replace when I get home: 

$350, 2-burner induction cooktop (glass cracked when the microwave turntable fell out in heavy weather)

$125, cabin door latch (broke while holding the door closed in heavy weather)

$630, spark plug wires (13 years old, plus I noticed that two wires have chafing damage)

$20, past Commodore flag (shredded by wind because I always cruise 30+ mph)

So:  Fuel and slip fees, one kilobuck.  Wear-and-tear replacements, another kilobuck.  Ten days on the Chesapeake Bay, priceless!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That must have been some heavy weather!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I did actually have to slow down to 25 mph in the worst of it ... 4-5 feet of steep chop where the Potomac enters the Bay.  That place gets like a washing machine on the agitate cycle.  Had a lot of spray going up over the hardtop that day.  
  • Options
    Wow! We get 5 or 6 foot rollers here sometimes but only during a bad storm when nobody would/should be out anyway. In reading accounts of Great Loopers the crossing of Chesapeake Bay is usually mentioned with great respect.
  • Options
    Ive slept though some chop, but 5 and 6 footers, even rollers would send me running for leeward protection.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    It was much worse than the forecast, but the wind was at our backs.  If we had been headed north into the wind, I would have stayed put for sure.  

Here's a little snippet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqgDss6knMo 
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    It was much worse than the forecast, but the wind was at our backs.  If we had been headed north into the wind, I would have stayed put for sure.  

Here's a little snippet.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqgDss6knMo
    Have any longer snippets? 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Yep, we thought about heading home.  We stayed in our port because of the high winds.  It only takes one time of the microwave plate to learn to take it out every time.  Mine fell out on calm day, but had a huge wave from a big slow boat out of nowhere on my home river.  It comes put now every single time the boat moves.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Dream_Inn you learn in half the time it takes me.  I broke a turntable a few years ago, but it didn't break the cooktop that time. 

Longer clip ... we were still making pretty good speed at that point.  

https://youtu.be/Guz5Ii-axwM 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love days like that, my wife not so much. LoL! I like feeling the boat work through the water and it’s much more fulfilling to me than a calm day. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE calm days also!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy it for about half an hour. It is exhausting. Especially with swells where the motors work hard to crest the swell and then drop over the top and major cavitation... fun!!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    In the worst of it, I was having to work the throttles on almost every wave crest.  Power up to climb the wave, then cut power to reduce the hard landing.  At least I was only working the throttles ... the autopilot performed like a champ.  

It's either that, or go slow and endure it for hours.  
  • Options
    When I was with the airshow team we would fly formation to and from shows. One flight I was on the pilot I was with asked if I wanted to fly (North American SNJ) I said sure! I figured I would just be using the flight controls, nope! I was constantly using the throttle to keep us in formation. After about 15 minutes I was getting worn out! Between throttle/flight controls and worried about clipping wings, I had enough!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Swells on Georgian Bay

https://youtu.be/ttt1eA05ZvQ
  • Options
  • Options
    @aero3113 did you get your canvas fixed up?
  • Options
    Not yet, still waiting on the snaps for the mooring cover. Luckily I’m still able to use it as is. I replaced all of the bungees that broke myself.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys and your waves... all I've got is the sunset..had to get the boat out of the canal to check on the growth on the NON-painted drive.. so far so good, a month in and just a wipe down with a sponge every 2 weeks is working.. have a call with the mechanic on Monday to figure out what we're going to do about this alignment mess. Either he steps up and takes care of it (remember he was the last one to have the motor out) or I'll be buying some harbor freight stuff and parts.. there's a marina down here that charges 80 a day to keep it on your trailer in their yard and will let you DIY. Hoping to find something a little more reasonable but that's the option for now. 

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @04FV270riverrat , get some spectrum patch paste for the holes, it will look like original when done.
    Is the bathroom “bone” color?
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @04FV270riverrat , get some spectrum patch paste for the holes, it will look like original when done.
    Is the bathroom “bone” color?
    I beleive from past threads that it is. 
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    J3ff said:
    You guys and your waves... all I've got is the sunset..had to get the boat out of the canal to check on the growth on the NON-painted drive.. so far so good, a month in and just a wipe down with a sponge every 2 weeks is working.. have a call with the mechanic on Monday to figure out what we're going to do about this alignment mess. Either he steps up and takes care of it (remember he was the last one to have the motor out) or I'll be buying some harbor freight stuff and parts.. there's a marina down here that charges 80 a day to keep it on your trailer in their yard and will let you DIY. Hoping to find something a little more reasonable but that's the option for now. 

What marina, Jeff?
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I replaced this.....impellar on gen went kaput, I didnt notice it and the exhaust hose got hot and blew!!
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    I’m surprised the generator didn’t shut down on its own?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I’m surprised the generator didn’t shut down on its own?
    Genny only shuts down when you don’t want it to or when it wants you to needlessly throw parts at it!
  • Options
    @DanD2 do you have a 5E or a 5ECD?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I have a 5E. The newer ones might shut down but certainly not a 2005 vintage.
    The darn thing got pretty hot! It doesn't seem like I did any damage.
    When I started it today, I ran it for while then noticed there was steam coming from the coolant bottle. I shut it down, let it cool then opened opened up the manifold cap, started it and then filled with coolant.
    I let it run for a while and then noticed the overflow bottle was full and coolant bubling and spilling out. I shut it down and about half hour later noticed that the coolant got sucked back into the exchanger. I had to leave so I'll follow up with it later.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    You may have an airlock.  Being that it did draw coolant back in, that may have helped.  Those air locks can be fun to handle.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @Dream_Inn , if I unscrew the plug on the top of the anti siphon tube, should water be coming out of there when the gen is running? I don't get any water out of there.

Update....Water is coming out of there now. Just did the airlock procedure with the screw on top of the exchanger.....we'll see what happens

Update....Ran the Gen for about 25 minutes and it didn't overheat so I should be all set now.
    Post edited by DanD2 on