Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    @mattie fortunately nothing bruised or damaged except my ego. The anchor always holds well (it’s the original Delta) but I was lazy with scope and I paid the price!

I picked up 25’ of chain for $4/ft which I thought was pretty reasonable. Got it at Genco Marine for you Canadians who might be looking. I also saw this across the street and realized quickly that my day was pretty good!!

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned up the fender holder that was on the boat when we bought it and got fenders and covers, I had been using small fenders I got as a 4 pack from bass pro shops. Had to mount it on the outside rail as it wouldn't fit on the inside, we'll see how it functions but it looks good to me 😎. Need to add the lines to them. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks much better!!
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    edited July 2021

Replaced the original xintex-fireboy tank senders with KUS resistive attached to Yacht Devices YDTA-01s. No more pushing a button to see levels. It’s in the N2K net now and SirenMarine app will alert me if the sh**ter’s almost full. Replacing black water sender was the thing of horror movies. 
    Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mbnarney said:
    Been lurking here for a while . As a newer owner of an older boat I am trying to learn all I can. After getting the old girl home if was apparent that cosmetic surgery was in order. New upholstery is not in the plan right now, so I drug it all home, cleaned and dyed it. Not new but at least its presentable for the time being. 
    Looks great! I’m sure some folks here would love to know what steps and products you used to clean and dye them?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I first cleaned them all with spray 9, using a scotch green pad to scrub. I followed that with a good cleaning with lacquer thinner. The lacquer thinner surprisingly made the vinyl more supple as well as removed any body oils and lotions that were present. For any cuts or tears I used Permatex Vinyl repair. Its basically a flexible silicone in a tube that I brushed on with cheap artist brushes. I followed that with another cleaning with the lacquer thinner. I used Dupli-color Desert sand rattle can spray. Its a lacquer based paint that is dry almost as soon as it hits the vinyl. I put down almost 6 real thin coats allowing for about 30 minutes between. Its been in the 90's down here so dry time was not an issue. People here swear by the 303 vinyl protector so we then gave it all 3 rounds of that allowing it to dry overnight. I am trying to get a year out of these so time will tell.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Impressive!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    @mbnarney - That is spectacular!  How did you do the logo?  Do you have any seams that are coming apart?  
  • Options
    The wife did the logo. Its embossed and she has a steady hand . We got a leather paint stick in brown from the hobby store and she put about three coats of that on. Shockingly I didn't have any seams to deal with. 
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    I love to jerry-rigging stuff   :)   Good to know the coupler thing thanks for sharing..  Dream_Inn have you had any oil leaks on your 496's?  I seem to have one around the oil filter adapter plate on the engine is that normal for those seals to leak after 14years or so?   
    It is normal to leak, but can be fixed. I just fixed mine that past spring by tightening the center bolt on the adapter plate.  I imagine it's a good idea to replace the seal on that plate as well.  But it worked for both of my engines and no small drips in my bilge! :wink:

Hi Dream_Inn

I was shocked how loose the leaking one was almost 1/2 of a turn ( Never been touched) before I think and the other engine was 1/4 + a little bit( may have been touched before as the factory paint was cracked off.  Thanks for the tips!  ;)... My last two fixes now is the turntable in the MicroWave and the Starboard water pump is leaking somewhere on the back ( only when running) after being rebuilt in the spring as this boat had 2013 impellers that were ready to break apart.

Cheers,
    Simcoe
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Hi Dream_Inn,

Does this factory wiring goto a amplifier?
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    I got oil on the white vinyl seat - any tips to remove it?!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    @SimcoeRinker400
    Yes, it goes down the side into that little panel (made of starboard).  There is an amp in there for the two speakers on the aft portion of the hardtop.  I changed mine around completely and you can find the topic on it here:
    New Hardtop TV — Rinker Boat Company (vanillacommunities.com)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks, Dream_Inn my boat someone removed the TV so Not sure what I am going to replace it with.  There are some nice 19" Flip downs now but really I have nice TV's Down below so might just put a Starboard plate over the holes.  YYZRC I would try a bit of paint thinner or simple green or super purple ( but wipe off quickly).  Then use a good vinyl cleaner/protectant.   
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    Hi Grahamu,

Great video.

YYZRC do that from the video.   :)
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    @YYZRC I don't like those using those eraser pads on vinyl. Start with the mildest and work up. like stated above simple green then to Lacquer thinner. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I tried the Purple Power and it helped a bit. Will try more on the weekend. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn’t work on my boat but changed the impeller on my neighbors generator today. It kept shutting down with an EC62 fault (Low Sea Water Pressure). Once replaced, all good. I also had a coupler for him.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the easier repairs we can do...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    One of the easier repairs we can do...
    Especially if there’s no sound shield!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work! Looks factory (or better).

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

What's the old hook/clamp for? Assume some sort of chain stop on the previous setup??
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you seal the exposed wood (epoxy) before you installed the windlass? I think you can expect some water to penetrate under the windlass, and that would expose the wood core to moisture.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    So 2 weeks in a row I had blow outs either going to the lake or on my way back. 

Last weeks blow out left the two wheels next to the blow out with slow leaks.

So I installed 4 new tires and 2 newer tires my dad gave me that were never used.  All 80 psi heavy duty trailer tires.  Maybe  2 or 3 yrs old and stored inside. 

1 exit before my lake exit one of the tires my dad gave me blows.  Just installed it 3 weeks ago to replace a blow out 

So now 3 weeks in a row I've had a blow out!!! I'm cursed.   Also seems I have a weak battery number one.  May try to finish the season with it so I get the most out of the warranty, replace in the spring. I won't boat past mid October 

So now am ordering 2 more new ties on Monday. 

I can now change a tire on the side of the freeway in less than  15 min.   

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    @MarkB yep. Sealed all fresh cut edges with epoxy but didn't get pics of it
    @mattie thanks. And yes, that hook was already there but I did have to move it slightly right to be sure to clear the windlass. And that cleat was right in the center under where the windlass is. Had to order new rode since my old chain was the wrong size. Got that all done tonight and works perfect
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick necessity is always the mother of invention isn't it? Ya figure it out!
  • Options
    Rinker310_LIRinker310_LI Member Posts: 22
    A little magic eraser on a new to me boat really made such a difference .  Before and after.  
    2002 Rinker 310