Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One word....Navigloo
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    wow it expensive to keep your boat in a cold climate 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shrinkwrap folks ever consider buying the steel frame tarp shelters to put your boat in? I use it for my trailer but you could probably get one high enough for the boat or add some extensions to one. Seems it would pay for itself after a few seasons and make it much easier to access the boat for winter projects. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura it would be nice to use one. Would be a huge structure though to fit a 330.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I think you would need to build a proper driving shed to support any significant snow load. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After looking online again to get the proper size it would be expensive but then you would have a proper storage for the boat and then in the summer you could use it for other storage or work area. Here in the rainy NW we try and keep as much as possible under cover otherwise it turns green 😕. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Back to the boat covering conversation I use a 40 ft RV cover its light weight and has lasted 3 years so far... also the snow does not like sticking to it..  it almost looks like shrink wrap!
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    @SimcoeRinker400 that looks great. Works perfect with your hardtop. I might look into that but might be tough without a hard top.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    @SimcoeRinker400 I like that idea. Is there access into the boat for winter Projects?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I finally gave in and hauled the boat.  It was a great season.  We got underway 40 times, and put 69 hours on the engines.  Had a nice 10-day cruise to Annapolis, Oxford, Solomon's Island and Cole's Point.  Saw a ton of fireworks, caught a ton of fish.  

(And yes, in this photo she's sitting a little cattywampus in the sling ...)

• Options
    Areo and Pat310 

I used this cover on my old 342 for the first year than when I got the 400 I thought I would give it a try and it just fit. For the 342 I use the framing from my trap I had just padded it up nice so it would not wear through the cover then ran a small rope from the rails to the center part of the frame I made.  I do the same thing on the front of the 400 to prevent snow pushing down on the cover bu to be honest not to much snow builds up on this cover setup other than maybe the hardtop area.   Pat the nice thing there are zippers on the sides and two at the back of the cover so you can access the boat if you want to.  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    @SimcoeRinker400 no cross braces down from the main “beam” (bow to centre of hardtop) to the bow rails? I was worried about collapsing the bow rails. 
  • Options
    Has not happened yet.  I have one beam with A frames attached to it from hardtop to bow.  Never took pictures of the setup always in a rush to get it up.  The cover is super light so any wind knocks off the snow.  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113.  I bought a full boat cover off of someone on here a few years ago and am really happy with that decision.  As others say it paid for itself by the second year.  I did the shrink wrap route, tried large tarps and this ended up being the best.  If you go the route of a large cover i have two recommendations.  1st. Its all about the frame under the tarp.  The hard top isn't what makes it work.  I tossed the support poles that came with my cover and i created a PVC frame from 1In pvc.  Zip tie it in and it doesn't budge.  2nd.  It needs to hang below the rub rails with some weights.  I bought 10 canvas sandbags off amazon and they have worked out great.  The frame and sandbags are the two items i didn't think about till after i bought the cover.... oh yeah 3rd item.  Don't try and put it on or take it off on a windy day.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Boat finally on the hard.  Spent the day waxing below the rub rail and stowing everything else so can be shrink wrapped 
  • Options
    @Pat310 you really stretched the season! Today was a good day to come out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 at my marina its a waiting game we all play.  Last out first in next year. More then half the boats our size are still in the water. Last ride was Nov. 6. So yes, stretched the season 🤗
  • Options
    MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    This weekend I put all new Infinity speaker in our new 410. PO put Dual brand in and they sucked. New ones are on point. Installed a new radio and cleaned up all the audio and video equipment and cables two weeks ago. Also got all the interior door latches working. Most were sticking and/or would not lock.  Just needed a little TLC. New LED lighting coming soon. 
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    @Pat310 - how high does your bottom paint go at the stern? Mine is just below the waterline, looks like yours goes to the striping. Is it high enough to mitigate some of the scum line staining? I am painting in spring and looking at how high to take it and look right. If you have a chance to send me a close up side on of the side at the stern.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bottom barrier and ablative paint went about 2" above the water line. I had to also consider when the water tank was full, and waste empty, I listed to port ... probably 2", so in fact, when it sat level, I was probably 4" above the water line and close to that stripe you talk about.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @Ian definitely right to the boot stripe in the stern. I will be at the boat Friday if you want some measurements for the front as well.  Never a problem with scum line for me 
  • Options
    Thanks @Pat310 I would be interested in a measurement from the galley through hull to where the bottom paint drops below the chine - wondering if the PO simply lifted the rear starting point but kept the same forward point or raised the paint line overall. Do you recall how she sits in the water - is the paint above the waterline a constant height?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options

Pretty consistent both sides. Maybe an inch more showing on the bow. Remember I have a genny 
  • Options
    That looks just right @Pat310
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bottom paint eventually touched the stripe in the stern. When we first painted it (in the photos below), it wasn't high enough, and for a season, the paint sat below the water level when there was a bit of a list, which happened on the port side ... opposite to that first photo. You can see the port side on the second photo and how the ablative was coming off (because it was submerged at that level. After this season (of these photos), we raised the paint, and looking at photos on my phone, we in fact touched the stripe at the very stern. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    That looks just right @Pat310
    Yeah, looks good. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Ok @Ian here you go:
    Starboard side 6” down from Galley drain
    Port side I hooked the bottom of rear berth window 30” down
    lastly from the bottom of the bow eye 42”if you need more info let me know. 
  • Options
    Very helpful, thank you @Pat310

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Tender upgrades - made a nice compartment for the fuel tank and battery, as well as safety items. 

Hopefully it will also make a great place for the puppy to survey the situation from! Might have to add some SeaDek. 
  • Options
    Very nice @YYZRC !!
    2008 330EC