• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    There was shrinkage!

That's what she said!!
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday - made new transom plate for dinghy. One there was wood, showing with taking outboard on and off. Starboard not needing painting nor will rot.
    Today - maintenance on some lines where the whipping had come off. Rewound and sealed ends.

A couple of small items to do when Admiral has a migraine and we have a quiet day or 2.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    On my boats, I would have paid $5000 net for the 4x4 props. “They’re real, and they’re spectacular.”
    I agree 👍🏻
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    YYZRC said:
    On my boats, I would have paid $5000 net for the 4x4 props. “They’re real, and they’re spectacular.”
    I agree 👍🏻
    I hope so.  We have a deal - I do what you do!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    What were the biggest benefits you saw with the 4x4s?  Did it help fuel economy?  (Sorry, I know this topic has been discussed many times, but I haven't found solid answers.)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The stern lift is incredible.  Boat pops up and out of the water now and planes much quicker.  Maybe not such an issue for you because you've got the big motors.

I think the biggest win overall is higher cruising speed at lower RPM which should equate to better fuel economy.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    YYZRC said:
    The stern lift is incredible.  Boat pops up and out of the water now and planes much quicker.  Maybe not such an issue for you because you've got the big motors.

I think the biggest win overall is higher cruising speed at lower RPM which should equate to better fuel economy.

These are the benefits for  me as well with the single 4x4s on my B-2s.  Hole shot is just absolutely crazy.  I split my time onto plane in half.  And being able to ride on plane slower is great when the weather is rough.  Only issue is when I had others following me that then couldn't stay on plane.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited February 2022
    @Dream_Inn this conversation just got interestinger.  Minimum speed on plane can be a major comfort improvement, and even a safety improvement.  My boat struggles to stay up at 25 mph, which can be uncomfortable in the rough stuff.  

@YYZRC @aero3113 do you also find you can stay on plane at lower speeds?
  • Options
    Yes definitely. I would guess 5mph slower. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Yes definitely. I would guess 5mph slower. 
    Same here. 
    I was also shocked at the stern lift, the bow comes down quick! @LaRea this is definitely a safety improvement also!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    @YYZRC I haven't ruled it out.  The boat and I have had this conversation every spring for the last few years!  It's a $1200 conversion ... $2500 for props, then I'd net $1300 after selling my props.  I also considered sending my 4x3 sets for reconditioning.

Thing is, I'm really happy with the boat's performance.  Good hole shot, good cruise speed, good WOT speed.  Yes, it could get a little better, but would it be $1200 better?  
    $1300 selling your props - 4 3 blades or 2 3’s and 2 4’s?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Two pairs of Merc XR 4x3 (two 4-blade and two 3-blade).  I'd probably get $1500 total, minus eBay sales commission.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered plugs, wires and the two gas filters.  Has been starting to falter a bit- fires right up no problem but falters as I try to get on plane. Figure that's the place to start. 300 hours now on the motor.

I've been in the water and have had the enclosure up- the "glass" really needs cleaning bit I'm not sure what to use on it...is it a cleaner and then a treatment to keep it from drying out?
  • Options
    Cap and rotor?
  • Options
    Ras, try Plexus plastic cleaner in the spray can.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    After you are done with Plexus, use Aerospace 303 as a protectant.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Just ordered plugs, wires and the two gas filters.  Has been starting to falter a bit- fires right up no problem but falters as I try to get on plane. Figure that's the place to start. 300 hours now on the motor.

I've been in the water and have had the enclosure up- the "glass" really needs cleaning bit I'm not sure what to use on it...is it a cleaner and then a treatment to keep it from drying out?
    @rasbury Do the caps & rotors as well as per @YYZRC

Middle of last summer we had some backfires on one motor. Difficult to plane, etc.
    Symptoms occurred almost instantly. Initially thought it was a super bad issue. Only 225hrs.
    Had dealer diagnose - new plugs, filters, etc. Ended up being corroded cap/rotor.
    Perfect after replacement.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @rasbury I would do the wires last. They’re most expensive and least likely to fail vs cap, rotor, plugs.

Fuel filters I replace every other year. 

My opinion. 
  • Options
    Agree with @YYZRC  ... for the plug wires, visual inspection can rule out most problems. 

Check every inch of every wire.  Look for chafing, where the wire was rubbing against something and it damaged the wire casing.  Look for parts of the casing that are cracking, or feel brittle.  If the wires look okay, they probably are okay.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Agree with @YYZRC  ... for the plug wires, visual inspection can rule out most problems. 

Check every inch of every wire.  Look for chafing, where the wire was rubbing against something and it damaged the wire casing.  Look for parts of the casing that are cracking, or feel brittle.  If the wires look okay, they probably are okay.  
    I don't think they have ever been changed out, 2005 model- PO only had 100 hours on it and plus I already ordered them...so we will go from there. Also electronic ignition. Probably just the plugs and filters. Did not sound like it was starving for fuel. They are not cheap and I ordered Merc from marine engine...I also remember plugs being a buck and a quarter when I was a kid...
  • Options
    What about cleaning the "glass"? I don't want to use anything harsh or would dry it out like I guess glass cleaner would....
  • Options
    @rasbury
    Mercruiser electronic ignition here as well (2014 model)...I was surprised that system still had caps/rotors to replace. Look into it...bet that is where your stumble is coming from.

I'm a Plexus dude for isinglass & plastics in general, headlights, helmets, etc.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    On clean, dry plastic windows:
    Spray Plexus on the window
    Rub it in with a microfiber towel
    Buff with a clean microfiber towel

If the glass is in really bad shape, you can lay it on a towel or carpet and apply the Plexus with a buffer.

I haven't tried following it with 303 Aerospace Protectant, but it makes sense to me.  
  • Options
    mattie said:
    @rasbury
    Mercruiser electronic ignition here as well (2014 model)...I was surprised that system still had caps/rotors to replace. Look into it...bet that is where your stumble is coming from.

I'm a Plexus dude for isinglass & plastics in general, headlights, helmets, etc.
    Wow, so just no points? Thanks and yes I will look at that next. So that thing that looks like an octopus is really a cap with a rotor inside....
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    so what all am I buying here?Engine Diagram
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    2/3/4/5 but it should be sold as a kit. 

Quicksilver 8M0061335

• Options
  • Options
    Ordered, thanks guys. She will be running like a top in no time! I had no idea there was a rotor and stuff in there...