Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury when you install the cap and rotor don’t over tighten the screws. Also, the screws for the cap is a different size then the ones for the rotor. I believe both sizes are torx head screws.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10-4 @aero3113
    I recall reading tales of over tightening these- I just always thought my ignition was 100% electronic with no rotor! 
  • Options
    Got all my stuff except for the stuff for the car plastic...hopefully tomorrow I can get it done unless it's just to 🔥,  exp 90 today and tomorrow. Might have to wait for fall. Hahahaha 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Today I took apart the windlass gypsy to clean and grease the bearing surfaces.  I've never done it in 10 years.  Hopefully this maintenance will make it easier to tighten the clutch and keep it from slipping.

The teeth are worn, but not too bad.  A new set is $140, so I'll keep using what I have.  

If you've never done it, there are some good youtube vids.  It's not a hard job, especially if you can stand on a ladder rather than reaching down from above.  
  • Options
    Omg I forgot what a job changing the plugs are. I changed the fuel filters which was not a biggy. ...cap and rotor no problem but the friggin plugs...got the port side ok, not much over there. I moved the lift out of the way but now it does not work...I am going to have to pull the batteries and the strainer for the raw raw water the get access I guess...can't imagine two motors sitting in there...
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Today I took apart the windlass gypsy to clean and grease the bearing surfaces.  I've never done it in 10 years.  Hopefully this maintenance will make it easier to tighten the clutch and keep it from slipping.

The teeth are worn, but not too bad.  A new set is $140, so I'll keep using what I have.  

If you've never done it, there are some good youtube vids.  It's not a hard job, especially if you can stand on a ladder rather than reaching down from above.  
    Any chance you have the YouTube links in history to share?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited March 2022
    This is the one I watched.  My windlass isn't exactly like his, but close enough.  You'll see it's really pretty simple.  Just be really careful removing the parts.  There's one that is held by a couple little pins.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUeTb0A_RfY
  • Options
    My windlass is a Pro Series, not the Pro Fish.  In the diagram below, it doesn't have parts 8, 9 and 29.  It has 35 and 36.  The little pins I mentioned are part 43.  

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Windlass maintenance is on my spring to do list.

Love tinkering. Need some cheater glasses now tho....

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is on my list now, I’m sure it’s never been done….
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea did you order the 4x4s yet?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    No.  I did the annual rack-and-stack with other priorities, and props didn't make the cut.  
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Adjusted my valves on both engines. Quite a few were out of spec. 
  • Options
    Launch day!  Shakedown cruise, pressure-washed decks, cleaned up the cockpit and cabin, dewinterized water and HVAC.  My WOT speed was 45.4 mph at the perfect 4750 RPM.  That's with fuel 3/4, waste 2/3, water empty, two people aboard. 

Still have a lot of cleaning to do, but not today.  We're heading back over there in a bit for docktails!

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    We launched yesterday and had rum runners and fried chicken at our favorite dive near the boat.  Finished the night with good friends and drinks aboard.  No cleaning for me, as the boat looks and feels freshly waxed from doing it right before covering.  Cleaned all the inside a few weeks ago, that's what winter is for.  Enjoying some wine and a little college ball chilling on the boat today.  Even had our first steam shrimp with old bay on the swim platform.  Doesn't get much better!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @LaRea what bottom paint did you use this season?
  • Options
    Went with Hydrocoat at the recommendation of my mechanic. 

I have always used Micron CSC/Biolux, but that stuff is crap now.  I applied two coats last spring.  It all came off.  The stuff that was left was clogging the sandpaper like crazy, almost like it never fully cured.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    goalie59 said:
    Adjusted my valves on both engines. Quite a few were out of spec. 
    Let us know if that helped in any way
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea how is it that you have 2/3 holding tank on launch day? You don’t need to pumpout in fall?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Spyderweb said:
    @LaRea how is it that you have 2/3 holding tank on launch day? You don’t need to pumpout in fall?
    I wondered the same thing. But then thought maybe he put a cleaner tab in there with water.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I usually pump out, but I have forgotten a few times over the years.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    LMFAO frozen waste....... bahahahaha
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
      Let us know if that helped in any way

I will for sure Handy. I hope to get the props back soon (expecting a big performance improvement from that) boat won’t go in the water until early May when the Ice leaves 
  • Options
    I didn’t do anything but is it normal that Americans carry guns on board??

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/20/us/south-carolina-lake-shooting-self-defense/index.html
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I alway carry mine with me. It is part of my home departure check list.
  • Options
    Fascinating. Do you store it in a safe or…?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
     @YYZRC - In 24 years boating on the Potomac, I have never seen or heard of weapons aboard a boat.  I assume some boaters carry where it's legal, but it's not like everybody's packing heat around here.  

[Edit:  we are all frequent visitors to DC, which has much stricter gun laws than surrounding areas.]
  • Options
    LaRea said:
     @YYZRC - In 24 years boating on the Potomac, I have never seen or heard of weapons aboard a boat.  I assume some boaters carry where it's legal, but it's not like everybody's packing heat around here.  

[Edit:  we are all frequent visitors to DC, which has much stricter gun laws than surrounding areas.]
    I believe nobody will advertise they have a weapon onboard of any boat, car or with them. The criminal will learn about it the hard way.
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Fascinating. Do you store it in a safe or…?
    Or !!!!!!