Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    @aero3113 how long does it take you?  Seems like I have to spray mine about 10 times.  Spray, wait a minute, spray, wait ... then eventually I'll start working it with a stainless steel brush.  I think it took over an hour to clean four props.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spray on undiluted and rinse off after a couple minutes. Repeat 3x and done. But my props were not nearly as funky as @aero3113
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea , I want to say it took about 20-30 minutes per prop. I think if I went stronger with the acid it would go quicker. I didn’t want to stain the stainless too bad.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    When I’m done I’ll coat them with some wax. Probably doesn’t help at all but makes me happy, LoL.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @YYZRC , usually when I’m in the water I’ll scrub them once or twice a season. Last season I didn’t do that.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Looking at those props, another reason I'm glad I am able to keep my boat on a lift.  I just use a little flitz metal polish each year to shine it up.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Looking at those props, another reason I'm glad I am able to keep my boat on a lift.  I just use a little flitz metal polish each year to shine it up.
    Thanks for rubbing it in @Dream_Inn
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I spray on undiluted and rinse off after a couple minutes. Repeat 3x and done. But my props were not nearly as funky as @aero3113
    I suppose the vanilla software push hasn't happened yet, because I see a bunch of spaces after this message.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    aero3113 said:
    Dream_Inn said:
    Thanks for rubbing it in @Dream_Inn
    Sorry.  It's just the time of year that I really enjoy getting on the boat, removing cover, installing plug and...having a drink while everyone else is waxing everything.  I do think I may need to change out my anodes this year.  It's been 5 or 6 years at least.  I remember those days though of painting the bottom and all that cleaning with my first boat.  I'm just getting too old for that crap! :smile:  Unfortunately, if my plans come true, my next boat will again need all that done.  Maybe by then, I'll be old, but possibly smart enough (and have enough $, although I'm too cheap) to pay someone to do it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Done!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    It looks great, I am trying to persuade the admiral to replace my 3 blade prop to 4x4 prop from hill marine, but I lost some of my battle after my hardtop project. Anyway I am confident she will provide me with (4x4) Christmas present this year. I hope.
  • Options
    You will love them almost as much as the hardtop!
  • Options
  • Options
    Do you new 4x4 prop are cup or not?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plug in the boat? Check. 9mm at the helm? Check. Ready to launch...
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    Do you new 4x4 prop are cup or not?
    Not sure what you mean @oscar1 - @aero3113 any idea?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @YYZRC I think he’s asking if the blades are cupped. I believe they are.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yes for sure they are!
  • Options
    Yes, I was meaning if the  blades are cupped.
  • Options
    I have bravo III 4x3 HR 21P mercury prop, so I am wonder if the 4x4 hill prop will make any difference for my boat, because it will only add a blade to the aft prop. Any opinion will be appreciated
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    Only in fresh so while my props tarnish, they are not that bad. Quick spray, wait a few and hose off.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    On my list of things to do is clean the props!! Touch up Some bottom paint and wax the hull :smile:  But we are still a few weeks out to getting in the water.  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I know I am in the minority but what is the big deal with buffing and polishing your props? Mine get power washed with the rest of the boat. My boat goes in the water at the start of the season and doesn't come out until the end of the season. It doesn't make any difference with performance so who really gives a rats a$$ that its shiny, the fish??? Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I don’t think a power was would’ve got my props clean…
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    I have bravo III 4x3 HR 21P mercury prop, so I am wonder if the 4x4 hill prop will make any difference for my boat, because it will only add a blade to the aft prop. Any opinion will be appreciated
    I would call Hill Marine. Lots of people here say they are very knowledgeable. I didn’t have to call because I just follow @aero3113 ‘s lead. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    If the props have barnacles or heavy fouling, that's a huge performance-killer.  If the fouling is just surface scaling ... well, cleaning them will probably save a few gallons of fuel over the season.  I've never done a direct before-and-after comparo.  
  • Options
    A clean car is faster so no doubt a clean prop is faster, too. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    oscar1 said:
    I would call Hill Marine. Lots of people here say they are very knowledgeable. I didn’t have to call because I just follow @aero3113 ‘s lead. 
    LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    My props are fine after power washing, there are so many variables, wind-current-waves-etc, that effect speed I doubt you can measure the difference clean or polished.