Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    @YYZRC Thanks , That answers the question.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how can a nice, clean and organized cockpit go to looking like a laundry room/garage catch all from the time I go to bed to the time I wake up in the morning?    I feel like it's the Beverly hillbillies meets swiss family Robinson when I'm out here sometimes.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Replaced my power steering pump yesterday.  Pulley was chattering.. probably a shaft bearing went bad.  Easy swap.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Gave her a nice wash all over, pulled out MarineMat and did them. Replaced what I suspected to be a faulty IAC but actually I think the real problem is a bad battery charger. Now time to shop!

Update: Seems the charger is good! After lots of investigation it appears I overlooked a basic check of all pop breakers, forgot there were some in the battery switch box and above normal eye level. One had popped - I think due to recent power bumps at the club with a pole break and transformer change - and caused it to pop so charger didn’t “see” a battery so wasn’t charging thus my initial thought it had died like some here have experienced. But even charging up the batteries still got me low voltages and when I got the engines running, alarms and VVM told me super low voltage - 10v. Having recently pulled the box to get in to run new blower ducts I figured maybe I knocked something off I pulled it, all good, one slightly loose nut and while putting back together lean down to see screw holes and wtf - popped breaker. Pushed in - over 12v now, engines started and charging, killed and main charger took over.

So so happy!. Jury out on whether IAC was faulty or not. Further testing this week.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the blue shined back up. Didn’t get to her last year due to the move, but she shined up nice. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg Looks good. Like the Blue with red stripe...
    What products did you use on the gelcoat. Polisher?

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a Flex random orbital buffer. I used compound and polish from Majestic Solutions out of Raleigh, NC. I started with XCC, then CP2, then FF3. Then I sprayed it with Shock-It. I used a maroon pad for the first steps, then a wool pad for the third step. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    it looks great but  thats a long long day 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly an art to polishing. Especially the wool cutting pads.

Been using Meguiars for years.
    Last season Shurhold Pro Polish - worked well.
    Tried 3M Perfect-It (light cutting & wax) this season. Happy with it too. 

Can read my watch in the reflection now.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
     Pulled the IRB as the drain had a small leak, found perished o-ring and replaced, while out cleaned the bottom and no more seepage. Then tackled charger issues per the update to June 19 post above. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    Got tired of using a line to tie the head door open to let the cold A/C flow into the head area so I got a soft-close magnetic latch to hold the door open. Used double-sided tape to attach one side to the door and the other just above the fridge/below the counter...

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genius @TonyG13 - I wonder if they make a 90 degree mount version that I could mount under the bottom step into the cabin?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    YYZRC said:
    Genius @TonyG13 - I wonder if they make a 90 degree mount version that I could mount under the bottom step into the cabin?
    This will allow 90 degree mounting, but not sure of the distance clearances you might need. They do make some other versions of varying dimensions. 

Here's a link to what I bought - you can see from there all the other versions available. I'm sure you should be able to find something that would work for you...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07964YYVC
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Funny,  I have an AC duct in my bathroom.  Helps dry out the Bathroom.  Angle it up the right way can dry other things too :blush:
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    Funny,  I have an AC duct in my bathroom.  Helps dry out the Bathroom.  Angle it up the right way can dry other things too :blush:
    I've been looking into doing that. I can rerun the vent outlet at the helm station back to the head. Would just need to drill the hole. Admiral does not want me making holes just yet.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I thought all boats with AC had a head outlet. Interesting. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone besides me had to write DO NOT FLUSH across the sanitary wipes aka wet wipe packages in the bathroom?  Not how you want to spend your morning.  
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Banned from boat.
  • Options
    AtlanticJimAtlanticJim Member Posts: 27
    Shake down cruise on the Great South Bay for our new-to-us 2005 FV 320. 
    All systems working perfectly and the wife loves the upgrade from our 27ft bow rider.

(just dont ask me about the mishap at the waste pump out. Glad the water was warm in the shower)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Congratulations Jim! 🍾 ⚓️

As for the pump out, I think we all have our own stories! 😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Complete wax job using 3M Marine way and used my Porter Cable random orbital to buff off.  Made life a lot easier this time.  Also install my new depth gauge/transponder I bought from @YYZRC
    Almost ready for the season!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Permanently mounted my Garmin after a year of floating around on the dash 😂.

We also went out as it was over 90 today but it was a short trip. Too hot and the water is way to cold to swim. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    It was crazy hot today, and no breeze. I have never been too hot at anchor before. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that was the other issue.... No wind. Was supposed to be at least 10mph 🥵
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    a hot day on the boat is better than a cold day looking at your winterized boat.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Was a great weekend on the Chesapeake!  Friday I installed a new complete water pump on the generator.  Mine was leaking around the shaft behind the impeller, so I installed a whole new one.  Also installed a new shower box.  Rinker cut the sanitary hose from the shower a bit short and over the years it pulled on the box and cracked it.  That thing was a real PITA to get a new one!  I had some good runners after that on Friday night.  Oh, and l also waxed/buffed the entire boat on Friday!  Was a good day and even better relaxing and enjoying the rest of the weekend!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Finally after three seasons of trying to figure out why the heck the bilge always had 2-4 gallons of water I did two things yesterday and one seems to have solved the problem.

First - and because I finally removed the genny so I can now have enough room in the engine room to get in and explore - I was able to finally get good access to the hot water heater and tighten the drain valve. It seemed tight, but I gave it a good hand crank just to be sure.

The other thing I discovered was the washdown pump was operating on the fresh water side so it was being constantly pressurized - even without the washdown pump switch being activated. So I closed the thru-hull for the washdown pump and switched the by-pass lever from fresh water (holding tank) to raw water (thru-hull). Basically isolating it from the fresh water side.

Wet vacuumed about 3 gallons out of the bilge and wiped everything down. Came back this morning and all was perfectly dry! I am now a very happy camper!  
  • Options
    Complete wash and detail today 😅
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I scrubbed and washed out the cabin door and screen tracks, I was surprised at how much dirt, grime and hair came out! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It’s gross in there!