Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just over a year for us too and I'd have to say my thoughts are identical to @DanD2
    We now have a travel trailer in a park 15 minutes from our house and although most boaters were friendly, we've already made more friends in the park in three weeks than we had at the marina in 5 years. May have something to do with the fact that the trailer doesn't leave, so we're there all day long. Gas bill sure is better!
    But I still see another boat in our future. Maybe not a cruiser, but something. Maybe a CC.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We did an overnight and when we got back this afternoon I isolated my galvanics 😃 (put in the galvanic isolator) Getting real good at twisting up in my engine compartment. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Got her in over the weekend!!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    Splashed today.

Predicted weather: Intermittent T-storms, small craft advisory issued for 4-7 footers, high winds.

Actual weather: No rain, calm winds, and 2 foot or less all the way to home dock.

Glad we went!

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13 , I love when that happens 😁⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I added a spigot and hose to the engine bay. Makes it so much easier to flush my 2 VPs that have engine flushing hookups. Not my best work but it works. 
    Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    Replaced IAC filters

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Changed my bungee stays and we put new decking down on the front porch. Such a long sweaty day we don't even want to reward ourselves with a boat trip tomorrow. When we got home we both said I don't even want to be down there anymore 😂

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
  • Options
    Finished the front porch and also changed my Horizon 600 windlass switch/solenoid, it is combined on this model. I think this was part of the issues I was having with my anchor on retraction and also it just looks new and shiny compared to the old one 😃

Next project 
    I need to open up my throttle/gear control as it seems the engine tilt is getting stuck in the up position when pressed up. Considering just replacing the whole thing with the newer model. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Well, I didn't take pictures, but I spent 3 or 4 hours just cleaning my bilge.  I don't think it was filthy, but it now looks good. Also washed boat, put new numbers on dink.  I also checked new chain for Rhode.  Gotta learn how to splice line to chain. That will be a day in itself.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:

Next project 
    I need to open up my throttle/gear control as it seems the engine tilt is getting stuck in the up position when pressed up. Considering just replacing the whole thing with the newer model. 
    I replaced my binnacle with Seastar on both my Rinkers. Not a hard job but takes some time. Replace your cables at the same time and the end result is very satisfying. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    The Seastar looks nice and it's about 40 percent less expensive than the new Volvo one. Good to hear you are happy with it, I may go with that one. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I installed one in my old Four Winns as well. It was a Volvo. Great tech support too. 
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Any one have a part number or source for these hinges?

• Options
    Looks like a standard European cabinet hinge. There are a couple of different styles. You can remove one set and take it to a Big Box hardware store and match it up.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Replaced the last 4 cockpit speakers with JL Audio 7.7" M6's.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options

Made 4 rollers for our pilings on the dock. This one is at the fuel dock then 3 more around the clubhouse. The rollers are kinda small but the should work just fine. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Replaced my port raw water pick up hose. Was collapsed and had been rubbing on the rear Engine mount. Last rear I was running about 185 degrees , now I am on spec at 177 
  • Options
    toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 97
    Echandler sir it looks great. Are you interested in selling the old gauges? If so please send a picture of the back of them. Thanks
  • Options
    Just hit 99F with a heat index of 106F. Went about a mile offshore and temp dropped about 30 degrees. Probably from the 60F water temp. It's a beautiful day to be on the boat. Did not want to come back in.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    Just hit 99F with a heat index of 106F. Went about a mile offshore and temp dropped about 30 degrees. Probably from the 60F water temp. It's a beautiful day to be on the boat. Did not want to come back in.

Didn’t you guys get hammered by a storm last night?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Ian said:
    Didn’t you guys get hammered by a storm last night?
    That was the Monday evening. Only second time in my 60+ years living in Chicago that I heard the tornado sirens go off. All we got by me was heavy rain. My sister who lives by Midway airport - which was in direct path of storm - went down to the basement, but storm weakened by the time it got to her, so all good.

Pic is from Tuesday morning after the front passed. Couldn't have asked for better boating weather. I guess it was the calm after the storm.
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    So I can't believe anything the mechanics said they did to my boat . I have started going through the normal maintenance items and started with the fuel filter. I was beginning to think the darn thing was welded on. I threw everything I have at it and finally got it off with a Gearwrench strap wrench and 3/4 inch breaker bar. In the process I realized one more Biscuit and gravy breakfast and i will never get out of the bilge. Now to the oil change. The dipstick has a small snout with looks like a larger screw type fitting below it. I know my oil extractor doesn't have that fitting, Is that something I can buy or is there a way around it?

Thanks 
  • Options
    mbnarney said:
    So I can't believe anything the mechanics said they did to my boat . I have started going through the normal maintenance items and started with the fuel filter. I was beginning to think the darn thing was welded on. I threw everything I have at it and finally got it off with a Gearwrench strap wrench and 3/4 inch breaker bar. In the process I realized one more Biscuit and gravy breakfast and i will never get out of the bilge. Now to the oil change. The dipstick has a small snout with looks like a larger screw type fitting below it. I know my oil extractor doesn't have that fitting, Is that something I can buy or is there a way around it?

Thanks 
    If you have an old garden hose around you can use that, cut it to length and secure it to you pump. I used an old washing machine hose, I did have to drill it out slightly to fit the nub where the threads on the dip stick is.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 I am going over there today so I will take a look. My thought is that a garden hose is about 4 times the size of the largest fitting on my extractor.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    My extractor comes off the pan, the hose/fitting is secured to the transom? What you have I can't picture but don't have a lot of other boat experience other than a couple of merc inboard and one outboard...
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    @rasbury -I have a Mityvac which just comes with some assorted clear tubes that i usually just shove down the dipstick hole. The dipstick on this motor is just a small hole about as big around as the dipstick itself. This is my first boat so everything seems to be a struggle. 
    Thanks
  • Options
    I use the same type of extractor and it works fine sending the hose down the dipstick hole. Slow due to the small diameter but works fine.