bring 342 back to life

Comments

• pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    5.7 TBI twins?
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I think the only thing javhav can't do is have a baby!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    @javhav......tip of the hat, mister! Bloody good for you - AWESOME work, as much art as science - in my opinion. Don't know where you are employed but they must be real happy to have you on their team. Obviously not afraid of a challenge!
    thanks I appreciate it and no I'm self employed 
    Well I guess anything can be restored
    Mr handyman you seem a little grumpy 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you researched boat ownership costs or are you just flipping this boat?
    shawnmjr said:
    That boat is gonna be better than new.
    For probably 10% of the cost of a new one. 
    yes sir lol
    pistole said:
    5.7 TBI twins?
    twin 6.2 mpi
    edited January 2019
    Dream_Inn said:
    Very nice work!  One thing about fiberglass, it can be fixed.  May take a little time, but really anyone can make a good repair.
    thanks fiberglass is very forgiving when it comes to repairs I just pepole over think it
    I think the only thing javhav can't do is have a baby!
    no i have two great kids plus I still consider myself as a kid well atleast the woman says so
    Have you researched boat ownership costs or are you just flipping this boat?
    no i don't flip boats I've have owned my other boat for 6 years now so I know the cost associated with ownership but I now i wanted something bigger the problem is that I can't spend the figures they command I have my business and my family house ect so the next best thing for me was  to build it at less than half the cost
    gel coat laid out well
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    javhav said:
    still working on it  tomorrow I'll shoot the whole bottom with gel coat then flip it over to body work the top more pic soon 

The only thing I'm concerned about is the core is snapped, and I don't think a bit of epoxy is going to hold it together against the pressure of that deck slapping on water. 

I'd be worried about too much flex and cracks showing up on the gelcoat. You may be able to avoid that by infilling the crap of the underside with lots of continuous fiberglass from right to left and over the ribs too.  Then I'd cross continuous from front to back.

Hopefully that would work, because you're trying to put a cast (fiberglass) over a broken bone (core).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Slip fees, insurance, fuel. Etc 
    Would like to see the finished non skid side
    @MarkB I fully understand your concerns but from factory the platform has a fiberglass cast over a foam core and 1/2 plywood ribs the epoxy acts like the core but with more rigid filled in half way then back filled with long hair fiber glass bondo aka gorilla hair feathered out along the cracks and ads even more ridgedite the ribs where screwed in from the edges then stiffen with 3/4 ply at the broken points screwed together in a sandwich so I wouldn't any flex there then the joint where reinforced 6 layers of glass mat crossed layers then 3layers of mat along all the bottom now the top has gorilla hair to level it off and 3 layers of glass mat over all it's about as ridged as it gets personally I think it's over kill I have confidence there will be no issues 
    edited January 2019
    @Handymans342 come on man stop it this is not my first rodeo and if your worried about fuel you shouldn't own a boat I keep my insurance all year long you never know and I will be doing the eva foam deck
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I prob would
    opt for an aftermarket Swimplatform instead of fixing.
    was it a top hit or did the boat smash into something during hurricane 
    if so I bet there are plenty of stress cracks on the transom 
    javhav said:
    @Handymans342 come on man stop it this is not my first rodeo and if your worried about fuel you shouldn't own a boat I keep my insurance all year long you never know and I will be doing the eva foam deck
    Ok but I got rid of mine already. Couldnt afford it and we make 6 figures!!!
    @zaverin1 no cracks on transom already checked  platform got hung up on the dock so I was told
    edited January 2019
    @Handymans342 whats got your knickers in a twist i take offense of what you wrote I feel like you're trying to belittle me and why would you worry about what I can afford and you can't afford there's no need for me to tell you how much I make but will tell you this I have 18 employees a shop and machinery do the math running costs are 40k a month alone but that's nether here or there and when I say I can't afford buy a boat turn key it isn't because i can't it's just a luxury not a necessity 
    @javhav I told you I love to do what you are doing and I can't wait to see the finished product! I'm just still in sticker shock .
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVA sheets, a couple years ago I bought Eva sheet's direct from china, same product,  cheep, compared to anywhere in the US, as company's mark up to cover cost and over head, and profit.  Cannot blame them profit is good. Took about a month to receive it but that was ok with me. If you are interested I can dig up the contact info. You will need to find cad drawing's of cockpit and platform. And provide it for them. I have samples here if you want to see it PM me your address I'll send you a small piece. It has self adhesive/peel and stick on the back. 
    Boat Name : 

@randy56 thanks I've used the same stuff on my old boat but I had to cut myself does the company you used cut it for you from the drawings and if so I would love if send me the information and where could i find the drawings 
    I bought from two company's one was big sheets the other cut and grove it for ya. Probley in the same building in china, LOL  The temp let/ drawing's you probably can find here on the forum. If anyone has ordered your year 342, from sea deck or some of the others. Just ask guy's on here. I'll have to look for the contact for buying big sheets. 

Here is email address. helen@melors.com - this the one that cut's and shapes.

Here is thread on mine, I'm all about saving a few bucks.  . https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/6122/todays-diy-project/p1

Boat Name : 

edited January 2019
    Did you put the gel coat on with a roller or sprayer 

that's better maybe this will help.
    This where to buy sheets. a copy of last email from them. I did all correspondence by e-mail. and it took a lot of them. 

Martin Hung <hongyulin@gmail.com>
    To:Randy 
    Jun 14, 2018 at 9:15 AM

Hi Randy 

Hope this mail find you well.

I am glad to share with you our production updates. For boat deck flooring, many customer keep asking for different color combination than just black or white base,  and now we did it. We have improved our manufacturing process to provide more flexible color combination.

Customer can now order any color combination of Marine flooring mat as below picture:
    Color Chartjpg

Base on this improvement, We can also offer 3mm thickness single layer sheets in brushed or embossed finish.

And more, there is more color coming.

Pls feel free to talk to us if you have any needs.

Best regards​​
    ------
    Martin Hung
    Oversea Dept Manager
    On behalf of MOR RUBBER AND PLASTIC CO.,LTD
    ​Mobile: +8618159375657
    Boat Name : 

randy56 said:
    I bought from two company's one was big sheets the other cut and grove it for ya. Probley in the same building in china, LOL  The temp let/ drawing's you probably can find here on the forum. If anyone has ordered your year 342, from sea deck or some of the others. Just ask guy's on here. I'll have to look for the contact for buying big sheets. 

Here is email address. helen@melors.com - this the one that cut's and shapes.

Here is thread on mine, I'm all about saving a few bucks.  . https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/6122/todays-diy-project/p1

man that's sick I need it and that dark brown sexy
    @reneechris14 thanks but have an 05 my ladder is on the other side