Options

Fuel Prices

Comments

• Options
    Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Finally got the courage up to look at the gas price at my marina, $5.49 a gallon for 89 octane no ethanol. I’m at the southern end of the Detroit River. I did find 90 octane no ethanol at a regular gas station for $4.89 a gallon, so now my frugal side is breaking out the 5 gallon cans before the boat goes in the water. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    When I'm in use mode, I try to keep it topped of so it's notch a shock..and I can trailer to the wah wah non ethanol. 
  • Options
    MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Our marina just went up to $6.17/gal for 91 non ethanol.  Glad I filled up before they changed from last summers price. 
    ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    At the rate the stock market is going, I won't have the money to use on fuel anyhow!  Geez!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    Does anyone want to guess how many fishermen I know that get a boat, pay for dockage, maintenance, winterization (and storage), insurance, etc ... and then don't have enough money to pay for the gas?
    They must be awfully expensive fish
    Oh they are for sure.  The average small boat will cost at least $6k a year to run. If you get out 10 times before fall arrives again, that's a lot (work gets in the way, and so does whether) ... so $600 per trip, and if you catch 5 or 6 salmon, that's pretty good. So ... it's running $100 per fish. LOL.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @shawnmjr, I’m at Gibraltar boat yard right next to Humbug 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I chatted with my fishing buddy in Port Charlotte today. he said it was $5.60 at the marina. 
    price went up here at the gas station $4.19
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Sounds good @shawnmjr, my slip is just the other side of the fence from the rack and launch and Sunseakers.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    ON WATER fuel prices at Lake Powell ~
    Unleaded is $7.07
    Diesel is $8.39
    I rarely ever need on water fuel.  My 232 has a 73 gallon tank, and that is sufficient for most of my trips.  In Arizona, most unleaded is hovering around $4.50 a gallon. 
     Crappy choice, but what do you do (besides vote OUT Democrats?)  Yea yea yea......prove me wrong.  Prices rise every single time a Dem gets elected.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    @Lake_Bum Really? Do you really want to go there? I will tell you it wont end good...... Just say'n!!!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not well off at all, but this is exactly why the jetski is coming back down to FL this summer :) It's a honda and it sips gas.. the boat will continue to do it's short runs out to the islands... jetski for everything else.. it's much better to take the ski to the sand bar anyway, the boat causes too much stress with all those idiots around it. 
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Election has consequences..... keep drinking the demo kooler meaning pooler.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    One of my dad's favorite 1970's jokes.

Gal in a low-cut shirt walks up to a guy at the bar, sits on his lap and says:  Honey, for $100, I will do anything you can say in three words. 

Guy says:  Paint my house.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Fuel Prices - Smashing Records. This will definitely be an interesting summer. 

Inflation is crushing most people for goods & services. Wealth effect appears to be gone. Curious to see this what this does to the boat/RV market....both new & used.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    The wealthy I know barely notice this.. trips planned all summer long. I'm def. a poor and still planning on driving from FL to NY and back.. because I'm just not that smart (I guess)
  • Options
    @J3ff you gutta live your life bro. Time doesn't stand still because gas prices are high.... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    @J3ff you gutta live your life bro. Time doesn't stand still because gas prices are high.... Just say'n
    yup. That's what the plan is. Haven't changed the boating routes or summer plans...just buying less alcohol  :D
  • Options
    @J3ff I booked 2 nights at Provincetown in July. It's only about a 2 hour cruise to get there. 2 nights on a dock with only 1 electrical hook up is just about $600. It was another $150 per night for water so I passed and I will use the tank. Point is prices on everything are out of control......... Just say'n
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep hearing some guy named Brandon  is responsible for the fuel prices but I'm also seeing Let's Go Brandon stickers everywhere.  What's the deal, do we like this Brandon fellow or not?  

Also, equally confusing, I keep seeing Bob Barkers sticker on fuel pumps saying I did this and Michael Jackson stickers next to it saying I helped.  

It currently costs 78 dollars to fill a diesel Passat and it sucks. Diesel is about 4.50 a gallon. 

My step brother had to order a fuel pump for his I think 2020 Malibu.  He found only 2 in the country.  I'm not sure fuel pricing is the only thing that will keep boaters off the water this year.  

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    @raybo3 wow, $150 for water??  I'd be carrying my own water all the time, that is crazy!  I know I'll be doing a lot more anchoring out this year.  I can engine being on the hook as much as in a marina and it is good to run the generator a little anyway.

As for what Rick says, yep, parts that are hard to find will keep you off the water.  I had a hard time last year replacing a leaking sea water pump.  I now have one as a spare (thanks to @LaRea for rebuilding it).  I try to keep a lot of spare parts.  Heck, right now I have a completely rebuilt vacuflush and another one that just needs a couple seals.  I think between all of us on this forum we can have enough parts to keep all of us running this summer! :smile:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we can have no economy with cheap gas because no one is buying and the market is still being flooded, or, a recovering economy after 4 years of crushing 7 trillion being added to the debt , a war where we are now exporting huge amounts of fuel where it is even more profitable which won't resolve until Russia has been stopped. Supply and demand at its finest.  Pick your poison. And if I hear xl pipeline in the culprit... >:)
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
     It currently costs 78 dollars to fill a diesel Passat and it sucks. Diesel is about 4.50 a gallon. 

My step brother had to order a fuel pump for his I think 2020 Malibu.  He found only 2 in the country.  I'm not sure fuel pricing is the only thing that will keep boaters off the water this year.  

4.50/gallon? Diesel is 5.99 here on land at regular stations. Regular unleaded is 4.39/gallon here.
    And yeah, took my shop 3 months to find a cone clutch for our B3 and my neighbor is waiting on a new diff for his Cadillac. Been 6 weeks so far. They told him it would take about 4 months to get it.

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited May 2022
    Ordered a new truck in June 2021.  Was told not to expect it until 2023!
    Post edited by mvn on
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    mvn said:
    Ordered a new truck in June 2021.  Was told not to e pect it until 2023!
    Man that sucks, so when you get it the truck will technically be 2 years old? Or would they list it as a 2023? I would imagine if it was built and waiting on parts then the year would be a 2021 or 2022? 
    I was just going to ask the same question!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember what the prices was last year? I paid 3$ a gallon for diesel in Sept. Now it's doubled. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    So we can have no economy with cheap gas because no one is buying and the market is still being flooded, or, a recovering economy after 4 years of crushing 7 trillion being added to the debt , a war where we are now exporting huge amounts of fuel where it is even more profitable which won't resolve until Russia has been stopped. Supply and demand at its finest.  Pick your poison. And if I hear xl pipeline in the culprit... >:)
    Ras, we were energy independent in 2019/20. What changed? Why did we turn to Russia for oil. Follow the money man! Also if the Keystone pipeline was not cancelled by Obama (and again by Biden) it would have been done by now and moving 2 Millon barrels a day from a friendly ally. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Maybe instead of 40b in Ukraine aid we should give a nice chunk of change to every US citizen. If inflation is going to kill the us dollar they might as well give us enough to use a bit for wall paper before we're done with it. 

It's like the perfect storm for killing global economy.

Step 1: lock downs and stop all work forces (but not marijuana, only fans, alcohol or twerking nurses) the shortages are affecting everyone.

Step 2: shut down pipe line

Step 3: keep passing relief packages, print that money at the federal reserve, kill the US dollar

Step 4: Russia invade Ukraine

I keep hearing "buy electric cars because Russia is the reason for the high gas prices".  Russia was just the tip of the iceberg and lithium batteries contain nickle, lots of nickle.  80% in one battery design and 35% in the other.  Care to guess who the world leading supplier in recent years is on nickle?  The Russians!!!!   I haven't been able to readily get any Stihl lithium battery equipment since the COVID lock downs hit so that's not a solution 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $150 for water, Gee, bet they are not selling much.
    Just ordered a new 2022 CC boat. (ain't scared)
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Even if trump was reelected the global wide shortages were going to drive inflation. Simple supply and demand is driving inflation in European nations that didn't give their people stimulus packages.  Keeping the pipe line open would have absolutely softened the blow to fuel cost but how much? I don't think I would have been enough.  
This discussion has been closed.