So what do we think about this for a liveaboard..

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
Making a short list of boats to look at next year.. this one isn't "sleek" or "sexy"

but the inside is amazing looking!

https://www.ozarkyachts.com/boats-for-sale/2000-carver-396-aft-cabin-lake-ozark-missouri-8403176/

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do I sign? Awesome looking boat inside and out. I have never been aboard a boat like that- could not 100% understand the lay out but looks awesome. Your done shopping-
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff that Carver looks really nice. The exterior is much nicer than the smaller Carver Mariner.
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Carver Mariner are so ugly on the outside. New member has one but haven't seen inside. The aft cabins like the one above are very roomy inside but you lose the ability to walk straight on from the swim deck and into the cockpit. For a live aboard aft cabin is a good option. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,456 admin
    I owned a Caver. Boat was awesome. Lots of room. Rode well. Carver uses every single inch on it. Excellent boat. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I'll be waiting on the invite to come stay a long weekend on it during lobster or mini lobster season...I'll also consider stone crab season.   :)
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you find a boat on the East Coast (keep an eye on Wilmington NC, Charleston SC and Savannah, ga as prices on craigslist are dropping) and need a "crew" to help you motor it south let me know if it's over the winter.  
    https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bod/d/jacksonville-looper-diesels-gen-cabs/7501316840.html

This is something I came across.  Twin diesel inboards with diesel Genny.  Old school, no electronics.    I love the lines on these old boats, makes me think of the marinas back in the days of Miami vice. 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be in nice shape. I'm a sucker for those classic lines also. A bit of work with all that wood, but hey, it's your house. Didn't know Bayliner made anything that size. Back in their hayday I guess. People put them down, and yeah, some of their models had budget finishes but the hulls  around that time came from Sea Ray I believe. Brunswick Marine owned both. I think after 86 though.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    she would be a fine liveaboard - that's for sure. Nice price too.. hmm, will be in Jacksonville next week.. 
    Willhound said:
    Looks to be in nice shape. I'm a sucker for those classic lines also. A bit of work with all that wood, but hey, it's your house. Didn't know Bayliner made anything that size. Back in their hayday I guess. People put them down, and yeah, some of their models had budget finishes but the hulls  around that time came from Sea Ray I believe. Brunswick Marine owned both. I think after 86 though.
    There's a huge difference in quality between Bayliner motor yachts and your run of the mill Bayliner boats aka disposable boats.  Even the trophy line started out as an entry level line.   I don't know what motor yacht was the largest but upper 40s comes to mind. 

Not as fast or as nice as rinkers!!! 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Carver is a nice looking boat. If you get her transported to the Mississippi, I could help you get her south. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    i found this while looking for a boat for @j3eff  

Cutwater 30.  Either a I/o Volvo Penta diesel or twin outboards....now I need a new boat too.  
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    The cutwaters are nice, they are made here where I live. They seem to be a cruiser/fishing boat so if you want to do both. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting placement of the radar dome. 1) Think I'd keep my private parts covered in lead while at the upper helm station - and 2) Can't see much behind you with it there. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is funny the old wife's tale that marine radar can harm you. When we first got our boat with open array I had a couple of what I call 3 x 5's (think they know everything but what they really know can fit on a 3 x 5 card) make comments about my radar spinning when I pull in to the dock or while at the pump out. I've heard of people at a bar on shore screaming at a guy who docked and left his on. So..... I read up on it.

The bottom line from Simrad, Garmin, Raymarine, Furuno, etc was that there is no ill effect whatsoever, radar has been in use on boats for decades without one negative report, and that actually you should be more worried about an open array spinning off and hitting you in the head, than microwave radiation from radar causing any defects. It's a different kind of radiation than 3 mile island....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    TonyG13 said:
    Interesting placement of the radar dome. 1) Think I'd keep my private parts covered in lead while at the upper helm station - and 2) Can't see much behind you with it there. 
    Yeah, I think I'd mount it on something that can be easily stowed down, like an arch but simpler.  It looks really bad there, let alone doesn't work so well.  Makes you wonder if the cut corners on anything else.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited July 2022
    I'm not sure id want the flybridge as I pass under plenty of 14 ft bridges on the way to the lake.  This weighs less than my Bayliner and is 6 inches wider.   Also I have radar on my current boat, have no idea how to use it.  I just turn it on and make space balls references from time to time
    edited July 2022
    one with outboards and a better placed radar.  Doesn't look too bad to lower for trailering.
    edited July 2022
    It is funny the old wife's tale that marine radar can harm you...
    Not so sure it's an old wife's tale. This is direct from Garmin:

"The marine radar transmits microwave energy that has the potential to be harmful to humans and animals. Before beginning radar transmission, verify that the area around the radar is clear. The radar transmits a beam approximately 12° above and below a line extending horizontally from the center of the radar. To avoid possible personal injury, do not look directly at the antenna at close range when the radar is transmitting. Eyes are the most sensitive part of the body to electromagnetic energy."

You are correct that it's not 3 Mile Island dangerous and does not penetrate the human body but it can still cause heating of the surface, particularly of the skin and eyes (cornea).

I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Nice paste of manual legal disclaimer, they are smart to do that, but Raymarine says that in reality you’d need to put your face on the radar (open array would smack it pretty quick) and leave it there for an extremely long time to even remotely have the possibility of a shred of heat…. 

Believe I found the article you're referring to (https://gamefisherman.com/marine-radar-health-myths-debunked/) -- interesting read. I stand corrected regarding major damages. Live and learn.

Even though both would be rare occurrences, I would not want to be hit in the head or have my corneas burned. So I think I'll still avoid both situations.
    Even though I don’t see it as a concern, the admiral still makes me stop transmit before she goes out on the bow. She agrees on avoiding anyway…. And I guess I do too  ;)

I'd have to take out a loan each time I took out a 37 ft yacht with gassers!
    edited October 2022
    About 25k over priced, but the lay out is nice. 

What do you all think about V drives?? 

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1998-sea-ray-310-sundancer-8477959/

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pictures...nice boat but 98....you would need a lot more info...
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I would take V drives over stern in a heartbeat.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could you have a liveaboard in Florida without a covered cockpit?  I know, I know ... it's a Sea Ray thing.  If the cockpit provides sun protection, it's not a Sundancer.