2001 Rinker 340 3200rpm

So I took my boat out today and she would not plane out. The engines stopped at 3200 rpm in gear.  In neutral they went all the way to 4500 rpm. Where do I start??
2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down

Comments

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Both engines operated exactly the same way?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Yes.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Do you keep your boat in storage over the winter at a marina? Did they do any drive work? If yes,hopefully they installed your drives with the correct props/gear ratio.
    2008 330EC
    Was this the first run of the season?
    2008 330EC
    It has been out a couple times so far this year. Last weekend it got on plane immediately. After fooling around with a few things I believe my left out drive is stuck in the up position forcing the boat to plow through the water.
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Well that's easy to test
    is your trim gage working and are your drives up or down 
    The port side gauge is reading up. Will not move when I try to lower the outdrive. When I try to raise the outdrive I get nothing on the port side. So tomorrow I will put on some goggles and check
    If you get power of the switch then it's the trim pucks sol
    Before you jump in check all of your connections at the trim pump. Even give the solenoids a couple of taps with the handle of a screw driver. Also isn't there a fuse at the pump you can check?
    2008 330EC
    Stupid auto correct lol
    yes check for power at the pump first.
    thats if you can't hear the pump engage.

Then i would start right at the pump motor.
    70 percent of the time pump goes bad. Solenoid Do go bad but it's pump or trim senders.
    three wires there.
    one neg and two pos.
    two pos are triggers for clock and ccw rotation.
    take a test light or volt meter and measure the voltage aka signal.
    have someone at the helm actuate up trim and down trim 
    see if you are getting power. If you are then pump motor is toast.
    easy to replace and cheap.
    if none of those work then try your trailer override button to lower the drive and check for power.
    if it moves to down pos then it's trim sending unit.

• ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    I have the exact same boat...obviously if one of your drives is stuck in the up position that's most likely the culprit. If problems still persist shoot me a pm. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one drive was stuck in the up position the boat should have been lower on one side and maybe crab walking?
    So I was able to bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver and lower the outdrive. But the boat was still unable to plane and next out at 3200 RPMs on the port motor. I cannot tell the truth RPMs on the starboard motor as my RPM gauge is obviously way off and sticks every once in awhile. So this weekend I am left putting around but I still enjoyed myself on the water. If anyone has had this issue before please feel free to throw out any and all advice. I am starting a work order with my local service shop tomorrow.
    edited June 2017
    I struggled with some planing issues when I purchased my boat several years ago. Spent a lot of money on tune-ups, etc which did little to fix my problem.

Couple things to watch out for...

I am careful loading the boat to not add any unnecessary weight to the stern. I keep life jackets under the bench seat in the back but that's about it...just the minimum. Heavier items I either leave at the dock or move well forward towards the bow. 

When boating with a crowd I also limit my fuel (when possible) to only half full tanks with little to nothing in the fresh water tank. Also,a fresh pump out can make a difference as well. 

Lastly i added about 100 pounds to the storage area under the forward bunk which helped as well. I know reading all of this makes it sound like a pain, but it's really not a huge deal once you are aware of it. Just be patient and experiment with what works for you. We love our boat and hope this helps!!!
    Post edited by ruwallydog on
  • summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    seems to me the bigger issue is the inability to get the RPMs where they need to be.  it is possible something with a shift cable needs adjusted?  basically not getting the complete travel it needs to open the engines to WOT?
    if you were out this season and didn't have issues, then I don't think its a problem with the OD/props.  A spun hub would allow the RPMs but not the speed/planing. 
    It could be a fuel issue not allowing the engine to hit max HP as well.
  • captpaulcaptpaul Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    do you have cool fuel system?
    By the time I ended the weekend the port engine had developed a knock.... which freaked me the **** out!  But after reviewing all my paperwork from buying it I found it the port engine is under warranty from Jasper so the service shop is handling that now.  I will post more info when I have it.  

2 Questions:
    What is a cool fuel system?
    @ruwallydog so you are saying this boat may never go up on plane with 10 people on board and full of fuel?  I've never liked leaving the gas tanks past half due to moisture getting in and etc.  I also never have less than 8 people on board... now I'm 2nd guessing my purchase.
    Has anyone changed their prop to a higher pitch which would allow to plane out quicker but lower top speed?  Just thinking about whenever the boat is fixed and with the amount of weight I normally boat with.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @carsnmorellc - the cool fuel module is a black "box" that pre-cools your fuel to, among other things, help prevent vapor lock. Inside the module are at least one and likely two fuel filters. A small pre filter and a larger final filter. I will look for the pictures I posted a while back. The idea that I believe @captpaul is suggesting is to check these filters to ensure that they are not restricted with debris and starving your engine for fuel. I believe the module will reside on the lower left (facing) of your engine.
    edited May 2017
    I will do that next weekend I am out on her.  Thanks for the quick responses.  Now since I am now realizing this boat is slightly under powered.... has anyone ported polished their heads, after market rises and manifold, and light weight pulleys?  From my experience with motors that alone should give me 50 HP per motor, so 100 total.  That and a higher pitch prop once the motor is fixed I should have no issue with getting on plane.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you purchas smaller props, have you solved the problem with the drive's being in the correct place? What your rpm when you put in neutral and give it the gas? do you jump over 3200. 
    Boat Name : 

It absolutely will get up on plane...I've had as many as 12 (adults and kids) and the boat would get up on plane....but I did make sure to prep the boat accordingly to accommodate for the load. After my first season I did change out my props from 24P to 22P (I think that's right) and it made a significant difference in performance. 

I totally get the frustration you are experiencing with the planing issue for sure!!! However, now that I am aware of how best to address it's essentially a non issue. 

Shoot me a pm...happy to discuss offline. I spent a whole season banging my head over the issue and happy to help if I can.
    No, problem has not been solved just brain storming. Marina was supposed to crank her yesterday for diagnostics but misplaced my spare key. Dropped off a new one last night.
  • captpaulcaptpaul Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    if you have the cool fuel system it was painted on the interior and the ethanol fuel will dissolve the paint over time and eventually gum up all the works thru the injectors (if fuel injected). check filters for black/brownish gummy stuff or actual paint flakes as this will compromise fuel delivery to engines.
     So after doing some research it seems this problem was found by the previous owner @davanzo82   and the shop that helped with the survey......  but since he couldn't figure it out, he sold the boat without disclosing any of that info.  I guess that is just how some people are.  You live and learn and hopefully my shop will be able to figure out it.  I know the motor is under warranty which is good but I am guessing my headache is just beginning.  

I have included the link the previous owner posted a year ago so yall can read and have a better understanding of what is going on.

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/6157/engine-problems-on-a-340-fiesta-vee

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Carsnmorellc - Did you have the boat surveyed by a surveyor you hired?  I would never rely on the seller to provide a survey, but if your surveyor ignored the engine issues and didn't tell you than you might be able to contact them and say WTF.  Was it sea trialed before you purchased and did the problem occur then? 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited May 2017
    Nope I hired an independent surveyor.  The shop Carolina Beach Marina assisted him with the survey as they were the ones that had just done a lot of work to the boat.  At the beginning I thought that was a smart idea, now.... not so much. The surveyor also took it out on a sea trial and reported everything was working at a level better than expected.... it took me a grand total of 15 minutes on the water to find a few issues.  The biggest one that it wouldn't get on plane or rev over 3200 rpm..... 
  • summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    did you not do a sea trial prior to purchasing the boat?  I would think that this would have shown up during that?
    although you did say it didn't have this problem earlier this season?
    @summerx yes a sea trial was done by the surveyor.
    Ugh!!! Let's hope the shop makes it right and then some! Keep us posted.