When it rains it pours (Transom Assembly leak)

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the Admiral catches you. Then it costs lots for that happy ending! About half or more of everything you own....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every thing comes with a price...lol
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Unless the Admiral catches you. Then it costs lots for that happy ending! About half or more of everything you own....
    Its not cheating!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    @J3ff. A few years back I wanted a SeaRay Amberjack for fishing and overnighting but once again they are IOs. I wonder if you could convert an IO to outboards???
    Definitely not true. A buddy on my dock has one with V drives.  Only thing that is extremely costly is changing something like impeller or water pump.  He has had to do it many times recently and extremely expensive.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's going to dry storage tomorrow. Not ready to give up on her just yet. Will throw the cash that is needed at the problem, enjoy the boat this winter down here and then sell in the spring. 
    I think after one more time of a little more cash, you'll rethink and stick with the ole girl! :)

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell none of you own horses. I (my wife) do...makes boating look cheap. That’s not including the needed trailer and truck too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    My bro has 330 jack for sale 
  • skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Where are people finding best price for seacore bravo transom assemblies?
    Pretty sure I will be needing one for next season.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Sorry for the slight hijack, but how does one know when a transom assembly needs to be replaced?  My marina is hinting at mine needing to be replaced and I'm unsure what the tell-tale signs are.  I trust them, but...

When they pulled the drives, they commented that there was some oil leakage from one of the assemblies and suggested it could be from the power steering which I thought odd.  I do not have any water leakage issues whatsoever.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Mine is leaking at steering pin and looks like has been for a while. 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    They also break at the bottom of the bracket. What happened to me was the pin was leaking and water was sitting between the bracket and the transom. It froze and the bracket broke in half and the transom got damaged. In my case it was big bucks. I also replaced the drive. Over $27K
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Interesting question..so mine was leaking around the main seal..so pulled, cleaned up the corrosion, painted and put it back together. I suppose if it breaks that's obviouus...if you gimbal came apart and messed up where it rests...but beyond that? Leaking power steering has nothing to do with replacing a transom asy...
    Well at least there's no freezing happening here.. She's back up in the air.. took 2 hours and washed down every surface with fresh water today... Not ready to give up yet, but if the bill starts heading towards 10k I might be. 

Took a slow ride down to the dry dock and remembered why this boat is so great.. 

That's a pretty motor...
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the 383 flame arrestor cover. It makes the boat go faster.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Where's the 383 flame arrestor cover. It makes the boat go faster.
    she gets that back when she starts behaving again. 

Ironically - Yesterday in the ride to the marina the pin for the hatch lift fell out. Lifting that thing by oneself is a *****. 
    That is a gorgeous motor!  Really clean!  I'm very particular, and that, is really clean!  Don't give up yet!

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome looking motor for sure. @J3ff you're having a bit of bad luck but stick with it man, it'll work out. Besides.....if you're lucky enough to be in Key West, you're lucky enough!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    edited December 2019
    Anyone care to take a shot at what is leaking? This is the bottom of the transom assembly taken from the inside. 

Videos:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/DcZCYRfYHC31u8ZXA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JYAK52ncmDY1myMU7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FJ3CeAJjfQEgw3Si6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iphYZv7syvhR9umk6

Not a bad place to work on a boat though, could be worse. 

Well, can't really tell crap from the pictures...I assume that is your shift cable and it looks like from the corrosion on the face of the inner transom assy, there was a leak there for some time. I thought you had a whole new transom asy installed? That does not look new by any stretch. Anyway...from having pulled mine... You need the boat out of the water to inspect the shift cable boot.  I had a heck of a time getting mine to stay on..tried to glue it on with bellows adhisive several times..what seem to work was no adhesive and adhesive cleaner which made the rubber real tacky and it seems to hold. If it is leaking there and you have all the right parts in the asy it would be a pretty a slow leak. I can't tell from the pic if it is leaking from the top of the flange or from under it? If from the top it could be your trim manifold was not sealed up...if below then the transom seal itself...so when you had the transom replaced (? Did they) did it leak right off the bat?
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    ++ on rasbury’s comments. I bet that is a shift cable / drive lube tube or bellows leaking. Not the transom a$$’y itself. 

Thx Ray. Guessing my abbreviation got flagged. lol
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited December 2019
    Transom assembly was replaced somewhere around 3 years ago, that included EVERYTHING new as far as boots go. 

2 months ago I paid 1000 bucks in parts + labor (5000 total for transom assembly rebuild and prop shaft seal fix) for a transom assembly rebuild kit, I assume that meant new boots, gimbal bearing, etc...

Have a call into a different mechanic and will be talking w/ him on Monday. Just hoping this guy can fix this thing for good and wont completely screw me, like the last couple appear to have done. Keep in mind the boat really could be defective. I've read something about people needing to have transoms sanded down because they aren't perfectly flat and that prohibits the sealing process. If that's true, shame on rinker. That would be another crazy problem plaguing the rinker brand that doesn't happen on the cheapest crap boats, aka my 5000 dollar bayliner. 
    Looks like those are the trim hoses at the bottom of the transom so i say trim manifold.
    Looks like those are the trim hoses at the bottom of the transom so i say trim manifold.
    A friend told me that those are the trim hoses, what is this trim manifold you speak of? Have been looking for a parts diagram showing the inside of the transom assembly, has been a challenge to find. 
    I did check out the gimbal bearing today with the camera... it looked perfectly fine and not wet. New grease was still intact. 
    Mounts on the bottom of the transom out side down on the bottom. Your trim cylinders for the drive 

Mounts on the bottom of the transom out side down on the bottom. Your trim cylinders for the drive 
    Boat is out of the water now... as it has been for the last couple of weeks - these things can't just be tightened up. Right?