Options

When it rains it pours (Transom Assembly leak)

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had that manifold leak
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would change the gasket
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can see the four trim lines coming out of the manifold , two going to each cyliner- this is on the outside. On the inside you have two hoses go from the pump to the manifold and the run right to the very bottom of the transom asy right below the shift cable. My other comment was not to suggest that the shift cable boot is bad- it may have partially just come off. When I did mine, as I tightened the clamp it would just walk off the nub it attaches to. When they make the nubs for all the boots there should be a ridge for the clamps to go behind for a stop or something.
    Looking at that picture, I would think you would see a lot of shinny paint- it just looks old and maybe it's just nasty from being wet. 
    I don't see 1000 bucks for the parts unless you got new trim cylinders...I got all my parts for 500? Boots, gimbal and that's about it...replaced the shift cable also.
    On the transom I have not heard of any bad ones on single motors only on twin motors. The seal on the out side is a spungy material so it gives the surface some - and the tourque on the thru bolts was only like 38 lbs...I would get that boat out and look at that shift boot and if that is all snug, look at the manifold seal. You should be able to find a parts diagram easily for that.
  • Options
    I looked at that last video again...it looks like it is coming from that area but it can be higher up and that's just the lowest point. I would bet the farm it's just that shift boot come loose. I inspect mine often still- there is supposed to be a little clamp on the outside to secure the boot to the cable but I don't have one. Everytime to raise and lower the out drive you are pulling against that boot.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I'll have to get back down there and look a little closer... I would assume when someone rebuilds a transom assembly they would also do the shift cable boot... but I guess can't be sure of that. 

If it is indeed the trim hose manifold, to my untrained eye it looks like it can be swapped without pulling the motor, is that correct? 
  • Options
    Yes its easy out of the water
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    There is a gasket between the lower anode and the trim cyliner manifold on an alpha 1.  Could the andodes been replaced and this gasket neglected to be replaced?  Assuming the set up is the same.  When i was changing mine i wondered what the purpose of that gasket was
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    And you may have a new boot, just not dealing properly installed- out of the water inspection needed!
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I was taking on water my first season with the boat I replaced everything but I think the leak was coming from the trim manifold they say when you reinstall it don’t use any sealer but I put some permatex  on it,I think it can’t hurt 
  • Options
    I had that manifold leak
    Was it the same thing? Slow leak in? I'm a little concerned that now the bottom of the transom mount is going to be all corroded as well. How did you identify where it was coming from? 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Sorry for being late to this party and skimming the thread, but ... are you really complaining about a drip of water every 12 seconds?  That's 3 gallons per week.  If my bilge stayed that dry, I would weep with joy.  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember (1) person who mentioned a CRACKED transom assembly due to an uneven surface. They made thousands of these, mostly by hand aka people. My slipmate with a $3M yacht in ‘03 had all kinds of gelcoat issues, electric problems...guy living on board all summer doing warranty work. 

Cars, boats, planes, houses.....any and all can have issues. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very ture my car,boat and house have issues. Thank god I don't have a plane
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Reminds me of that old advice, three things to rent and never buy: planes, boats and women. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I remember (1) person who mentioned a CRACKED transom assembly due to an uneven surface. They made thousands of these, mostly by hand aka people. My slipmate with a $3M yacht in ‘03 had all kinds of gelcoat issues, electric problems...guy living on board all summer doing warranty work. 

Cars, boats, planes, houses.....any and all can have issues. 
    RVs don't LOL
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Sorry for being late to this party and skimming the thread, but ... are you really complaining about a drip of water every 12 seconds?  That's 3 gallons per week.  If my bilge stayed that dry, I would weep with joy.  
    It's about 25 gallons a day... give or take. Seems to come in faster when underway. 
  • Options
    So on the mànifold you have two deals..one above it to the transom asy and then below where the anode attaches. The wires for the anode go through it into the bielge. Leak more while underway? I don't think that would happen. Heck, you could pull the plug out and water would pull out of the boat. That may be a leak but maybe a hose is leaking or something while underway? 25 gallons is a lot.
  • Options
    I would take apart the trim manifold and seal it up good for starters 
  • Options
    For sure, but I'd get a look at the shift cable boot and make sure it is on there good first before I'd do anything...
  • Options
    I think the shift cable boot is much higher up 
  • Options
    Yes it is higher up, but the water travels down and we don't see really where it is coming from...we know the exhaust bellows won't leak...the gimbal or the connect for the OD fluid- or even for the speedometer could produce a leak and the water would end up there depending on the lean of the boat..it is hard to see water down in there...I did not nail mine down until I pulled the motor. But, there are obvious places to look first before that like the manifold and the boots. Might be new and might not be attached. That shift boot gets pulled back and forth all the time when you trim it.....granted he does not go to trailer height. 
  • Options
    a leaking speedometer tube would accelerate the water flow while underway. Also where the water pickup tube connects to the transom. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Easy to break off when your putting a motor back in...
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Mechanic is going to hopefully look at it End of the week. If not, next week. Would be nice if it was something that didn't have to involve the motor being pulled.. going to take the jetski out this weekend. Tired of working on this thing on land on weekends. Hoping to have it  solid in the water by the second week of January.. 
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    J3ff said:
    Mechanic is going to hopefully look at it End of the week. If not, next week. Would be nice if it was something that didn't have to involve the motor being pulled.. going to take the jetski out this weekend. Tired of working on this thing on land on weekends. Hoping to have it  solid in the water by the second week of January.. 
    Could be worst, you could have a boat with no problems and not be able to use it until 2nd week of April lol 
    Ha ha good point and so far this has only cost 600 in storage fees. vs the typical 2400 over the winter.. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Fingers crossed for ya Jeff! Let us know...so your out of the water, have you been able to look at those boots?
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Fingers crossed for ya Jeff! Let us know...so your out of the water, have you been able to look at those boots?
    Yeah, they look nice a new, connected up fine.. will take a closer look this weekend.. 
  • Options
    It can be hard to see...I would give that shift boot a real good pull
  • Options
    since you're out of the water you can also fill the bills up to just wear the water will crest over the very bottom of that inner transom ring and see if you see any leakage on the outside
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    since you're out of the water you can also fill the bills up to just wear the water will crest over the very bottom of that inner transom ring and see if you see any leakage on the outside
    Yeah, going to attempt that this weekend. the problem is it's going to take a LOT of water to get it up to that level... so I'm going to try and get a hose up in there and turn it on only a tiny bit and see if that gets the job done.