When it rains it pours (Transom Assembly leak)

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    You can tilt the trailer- put some blocks under the front and get a good angle to it- don't over do it or you will get the starter wet... obviously there is a lot more force while the boat is in the water to leak then water just sitting in the bielge but it may work. 
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Mechanic coming tomorrow AM. Went and took a bunch of up close pictures today...but the Sandbar crew was calling, so I took a jetski to go meet them instead :)

See anything off in these pictures? https://photos.app.goo.gl/hT9tSabueXEvVCJi8 

obligatory sand bar picture from today...

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I miss the keys.  Spring cant come soon enough. I mentioned taking our 235fv this year and the little lady offered to pay for the boat rental herself instead.

I think the 16 hr road trip would be better with boat in tow. Instead of driving all night i drive all day before check in, sleep in the boat at a rest stop or walmart with the generator powering the ac.  Arrive in the keys where i launch at 8am morning of check in and fish/swim/snorkel until time to pull up to the sea wall.  

How does one avoid 95/hwy 1 running through the heart of Miami???  Taking that 2 lanes of **** with a boat in tow seems like a nightmare.

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a 38 foot fifth wheel
    Id have a hard time fitting a 5th wheel to the excursion😝
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geeee we are getting freezing rain/snow tonight, and your riding jet ski. Neat picture though.

On you Rinker picture's have you replaced anodes lately? seems like a lot of corrosion, but I'm in fresh water, so I do not see the effect's of salt.

Once I had a boat that the bolts on the transom assembly worked loose. And i had to tighten the to stop a leek.   
    Boat Name : 

Randy- those should not work loose and they are only 38lbs...if the outside seal goes Bab to might get a little more milage but anxious to hear what the result is...
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was on a Merc 4cyl alpha drive, i realize those bolts should not work loose. Some how they did.
    Boat Name : 

Well - Monday came and went and no word from the mechanic.. assuming he blew me off. Will give him till noon today and then I'll go looking for another. 
    Well, you are on key's time.....it's a different world down there...
    The keys time is a little easier on the blood pressure than any of the other time zones.  

Unless you're the customer.
    At 1130 mechanic called.. they checked it out yesterday and yes the drive and engine need to be removed. He sent a video showing that with the engine bay full of water if they moved the drive back and forth by hand, water came out of the lower right side of the transom assembly. Here, you can have a mobile mechanic come work on it, but it's 150 to have a forklift hoist the engine out, + 10% of the total bill. Not to mention 600/month to keep it in the dry storage to start. Monday will be the point where I have to pony up another 600. Trying to locate a used trailer to move it to the mechanics lot, where it at least wont be incurring extra charges on top of labor and parts. 

Here we go again:

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Bust Out Another Thousand! 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats why I am boatless
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow 600 a month for land storage 
    I'm 100 on a trailer...
    That does not make sense from where it was leaking on the inside...I was leaking from over the top of the lower edge...yet your saying it is leaking out the bottom edge of the outer asy....did you strike anything sense the asy was replaced? If not sounds like something was not done right...
    Yes, the blame looks like it's on the shop that replaced my engine and transom assembly to the tune of 20,000 dollars 3 years ago, not kidding, the bill was actually 20k.

However, as life just loves to throw curveballs. The shop that did this work 3 years ago was bought out under "eminent domain" by the state of CT under some kind of train bridge project. So about 6 months after the work was completed the shop closed and even though I have been in touch with the owner - there really is no recourse here. At this point the state paid him a LOT of money for his land and he appears to be living the good life, traveling all over the place and he barely cares about a boat that his coke-head mechanic worked on 3 years ago.. even if the guy f'd it all up. 

Such is life I guess. Now I know my uncle gave up on boating 10 years ago. 
    edited December 2019
    rasbury said:
    I'm 100 on a trailer...
    125 per month to store trailer with no boat on it. 250 per month if the boat is on the trailer. That's after you buy a trailer for 5500. 
    Post edited by J3ff on
    edited December 2019
    I certainly feel for you...I kind of thought this is where this was going...so what is the mechanic say is the problem? Not to over simplify but a transom asy is not brain surgery to install... If you hit something, you might get some support from your insurance.
    Haven't hit anything. Mechanic seems to think that maybe the previous person didn't put any sealant around that one big gasket. Will work on getting a trailer and getting it moved to his lot. Then motor and drive removed from there. Wondering if it would be good to replace whatever parts need to be replaced on a closed loop cooling system after 3 years of salt exposure... 
    That gasket is hard to keep in place- but as Al stated, seal both sides which is what I did. As a matter of fact, while I was trying to find my leak I ran a bead around the outer transom plate and then dunked back in the water to see if that was the leak- easy for you to do as well. I made a big mess putting mine back on- and it is not going to leak there again!
    rasbury said:
    That gasket is hard to keep in place- but as Al stated, seal both sides which is what I did. As a matter of fact, while I was trying to find my leak I ran a bead around the outer transom plate and then dunked back in the water to see if that was the leak- easy for you to do as well. I made a big mess putting mine back on- and it is not going to leak there again!
    Yeah, at this point it's in the mechanics hands... don't have the time, tools, trailer or space to work on it. 
    Nothing yet, still waiting for the mechanic to address it. 
    So the boat has been moved from the storage lot... Anyone have any estimates on how much this is going to cost?

What's the base cost of removing engine, drive, take apart the transom assembly, reseal it, put it all back together? it's 100/hr
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $100/hr is a good rate.
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    $100/hr is a good rate.
    I think that may depend on where you are. $95-$100 pretty normal here for a Merc tech 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

So motor in and out is probably four hours...outdrive on and off about an hour and a half. You should be good on parts if the asy was replaced..just sealing it properly...should have had a new gasket if the asy was replaced but a new one is in order. This really should not be to bad...I would do the minimum and see where you are at and go from there...
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    $28 per 15 minutes where I service/store.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/