Options

CIVID Boating

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received another e-mail from the marina today. Splash day is May 14th although still no word on when the public will be allowed in. Once we are allowed in the protocol will be unload, park your vehicle, get in the boat and leave the dock. Coming back in the reverse. No overnights at marina, no BBQ on site, picnic tables are all being removed. Get on the boat and on the lake and that's it. No access to washrooms or showers. Pumpouts once a week by prior arrangement. If your dock neighbour is readying to leave you stay in your vehicle until they depart.
    Been able to arrange a two hour time slot on Friday to get the tarps off, tops on and batteries in. Likely not going to be able to do any bottom wax or other work before launch. It is what it is. Best guess from calling around to some other boating buddies is that we might be allowed in to get on the water by May 21st to June 1st at earliest.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Not sure what our marina restrictions are here in FL...ramps are wide open that's for sure...
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Ras, that is crazy, find a different marina .
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    No restrictions here other than me getting it ready...lol. It's sitting in my driveway on the trailer. Got one side about 85% finished buffing and waxing. Still have to do the other side, mount my new battery box, align my props, and try to fix my shower sump. After that have to load everything back in it then fire it up on muffs and should be good to go. I know at least a few boats went in our marina last weekend. A 358 Four Winns (has a 2008 Rinker 280 for sale), a 25' Regal, a 25' Crownline (1 of the 3 identical to ours) and I'm sure a few others went in.

Hoping to be ready in 2 weeks if the weather cooperates...oh, and my daughter brings my 8' ladder back so I can buff the front...lol
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Received another e-mail from the marina today. Splash day is May 14th although still no word on when the public will be allowed in. Once we are allowed in the protocol will be unload, park your vehicle, get in the boat and leave the dock. Coming back in the reverse. No overnights at marina, no BBQ on site, picnic tables are all being removed. Get on the boat and on the lake and that's it. No access to washrooms or showers. Pumpouts once a week by prior arrangement. If your dock neighbour is readying to leave you stay in your vehicle until they depart.
    Been able to arrange a two hour time slot on Friday to get the tarps off, tops on and batteries in. Likely not going to be able to do any bottom wax or other work before launch. It is what it is. Best guess from calling around to some other boating buddies is that we might be allowed in to get on the water by May 21st to June 1st at earliest.
    So unnecessary.... the paranoia is out of control.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Interesting. I’ve decided that I will be moving my boat to my parent’s place. They live on Georgian Bay with a decent dock with power, water, etc. Just not very sheltered which isn’t ideal but the boat is insured so eff it. 

The drive to the boat is 45 mins longer but at least I can work on it. Just have to figure out how I can get it out of the marina “legally”.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @YYZRC maybe the $$ you save from not paying huge Georgian Bay marina fees can go towards a lift. Of course then you'd have the hassle of moving it in and out every year so the ice doesn't destroy it. Do you parent's pull their docks?

@icoultha I won't argue the too safe/paranoia angle but my thoughts are that in an effort to get us going as quickly as possible the marina is presenting a tough set of distancing controls that I think will rapidly change once the downward swing in numbers keeps going. We are showing good signs in the area, but still not past the peak.
    The other side of the story is that we are not a fully staffed yacht club. Very small operation with a full time staff of two, an office lady/store attendant and a very well respected but almost crippled mechanic from scrambling around boats for over 50 years. No dock attendants, no full time yard hands, no full time cleaning staff. Apart from major mechanical work we all do our own prep and maintenance. IT's also why we're the least expensive marina on the whole Trent/Severn system, easily 2 Grand less than our next closest neighbour and they don't have anything we don't have except more staff.
    There are really only about 18 or 20 larger cruiser style boats with the rest being day boats. It just wouldn't be possible to do all the extra cleaning etc. that would be required if everything was all opened up. The slips are also very tight and close together so distancing would be impossible if they were letting people just wander around. So to get on the water as quick as possible I can live with it, but think it will change sooner than later.
    Originally they were projecting mid-July to get on the water, so a vast improvement.
    If I don't get to wax this year it won't keep me awake at night.

• Options
    Willhound said:
    @YYZRC maybe the $$ you save from not paying huge Georgian Bay marina fees can go towards a lift. Of course then you'd have the hassle of moving it in and out every year so the ice doesn't destroy it. Do you parent's pull their docks?
    The dock is fully height adjustable and doesn’t need to be removed for winter. Rather intelligent system my father devised. I could save big money on mooring fees and invest it in a marine railway to store the boat on site but I do enjoy the marina culture (or at least I did pre-COVID). 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Willhound said:
    Been able to arrange a two hour time slot on Friday to get the tarps off, tops on and batteries in. 
    I just got off the phone with a rep at Bay Port and I was told that the OPP are monitoring marina activities to ensure no customers on site (except those who treat their boat as their permanent residence) and that the fine is $100k.

Seems odd that you're able to access your boat on Friday!  I'm jealous!  :|
  • Options
    You no tell, I no tell. It may be because the boat storage is off site a bit from the marina. And again no staff to provide the service so I'm guessing they are somehow counting us as volunteer staff which is why the time slots and strict control on who comes and goes.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Looks like we are good to start boating tomorrow in MD.  Hopefully people are smart and we can continue boating, even if we can't raft up for a while.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    Interesting debate:  At what point does a raftup violate social distancing policies?  Water temps in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries are still in the low 60s, so nobody will be in the water.  Stay on your own boat and talk to your buddies ... good?  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially if you have your enclosures up on the boats. That’s a double layer of protection. Curious to see how they enforce the water.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    Maryland's Governor answered my question.  In MD, rec boating is now allowed, but the state specifically prohibits raft-ups.  Boats must remain at least 10 feet apart.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to get out and enjoy the water yesterday... Supposed to rain all week next week starting Sunday

• Options
    Ok, that's it Jeff. You're officially pi$$ing me off! 😉 
    Just kidding. I'm just envious and secretly proud of you for following your dream. You told us three years ago you were going to do what you are now doing.
    I'm assuming the strategically placed bikini hanging shot was on purpose? 😎
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes haha just to get a rise out of handy 🤣🤣
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff So we see legs and the swimsuit is sitting on the bimini frame, show off!!!  Plus you're hanging out in water that looks a lot like Florida bay (gulf side of the islands for those of you not familiar)  

I hate you so much but love the boating pics.  I try to live vicariously through you right now.

The sight seeing is always terrific down there.  Just a mile or two off shore you see flying fish. Manatee are always a great sight in the shallows.  Plenty of sharks large and smal to see.  Youll find rays as well as sea turtles swimming about.  Lets not forget the dodging of iguana poo on every sea wall....while the rest of us are dodging Canadian geese poo.  

Im truly envious!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why you paint your toe nails?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So.. I see legs...I see bikini.....my imagination is wandering...
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    how many inches are required for social distancing 
  • Options
    Started prepping the boat yesterday although no idea yet when boating will be allowed. As if Mother Nature hasn't kicked us in the gonads enough this year, this is what I woke up to this morning. Weather predictions don't show anything much past low 60's before end of the month. So if there's a silver lining I likely wouldn't be boating much anyway. Slowest spring I've seen in 12 years of living here. On the other hand, where I'm originally from there are still snow banks 3 feet high.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    trip_n said:
    how many inches are required for social distancing 
    At least 72. ...

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Snowing in Boston..... WTF
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I’ll wait till next week to launch 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    thats a good looking boat
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    51 here this morning....this cold front is not good for boating.  
  • Options
    I'd take it. Since my pic this morning we got another 3 inches and still snowing like he!!
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    On the bright side @Willhound you can use that sauna still. 
    Yep. Just did yesterday.