Options

CIVID Boating

How's the Season going to go? Will there be one??

Comments

• Options
    HoleinwaterHoleinwater Member Posts: 3
    Boating Season that is..
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    For us, going to have to use private/neighborhood ramps.

While i dont have a dock at my parents place i do have a deep protected cove to beach the boat on a soft muddy bottom all summer long if public ramps stay closed.  

Will be an inconvenience but it is what it is.  

We dont congregate outside my family to begin with, we are anti social boaters.  

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    as of now my marina is open ,I also have keys to 3 boat launches in a New York state park ,there electric motors 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be out tomorrow :) 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    MD is closed for recreational boating according to DNR. Only allowed if you are fishing for food. No catch and release. Gonna have to turn the cruiser into a fishing boat.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Cant beat some freshly grilled or smoked fish.  Crab season on the inlets here has always been slow for me until the water warms up really nicely in June, then it's pots of nice blue crab for days.   Maybe you know some tricks i dont???

While our public boat ramps are closed I've got arrangements with a family friend for use of a private ramp.  The season will roll on as anticipated.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    MD is closed for recreational boating according to DNR. Only allowed if you are fishing for food. No catch and release. Gonna have to turn the cruiser into a fishing boat.
    Yes, I've been really wondering about taking the boat out.  For now, I still left it covered (no sense in letting the pollen build on it and get dirty, since she was waxed the day the cover went on in the fall).  I need to check with my marina before I'd go thru any effort.  Everything is loaded on the boat, even the beds are made up.  Fishing would be a lot of fun with my son! 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Semi good news from my harbor. My drop-in date is May 15, so it looks like I get an extra month to pay off my bill: "In an effort to accommodate our customers during the COVID-19 pandemic, the April 15th due date for final payments for the 2020 season has been extended to May 15th.  However, please note that if you plan to bring your boat in prior to May 15th, payment is due in full before your boat is brought into the harbor."

• Options
    seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Both where we store the boat and our marina are closed until  further notice  here in Maryland. We can not even step on the property  . Not to sure when we will be in the water.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Florida and Georgia are both under a shelter in place order as well as North Carolina. 

This is going to ruin a lot of spring boating for a lot of people.  

I feel like the people here (even handy😆) are all smart enough where we'd be safer on our boats than shopping in a store.  

We are as of not not under a stay at home order but non essential businesses have been ordered to close.

Boats are not allowed to raft up or beach here. Unless fishing they must remain under way.

So long as the wind isn't blowing i can talk to a buddy boat for hours without rafting up and we stay well over 6 ft apart.  

• Options
    in FL it's 50 feet apart in any situation... no worries, been boating like that forever. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    When fishing i prefer 200 ft.  Those shark and tarpon need plenty of space to run when that hook sets.

At sombrero reef it gets so packed you have to tie up to boats tied to the moorings.  You had also better stow that fishing gear, they see poles and the fwc is gonna come talk to you.

Funny story, i put Godzilla as the admirals middle name when buying her Florida fishing license some 5 years ago.  She still gets fwc mail with her full legal name on it to this day as Godzilla being her middle name.  

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    in FL it's 50 feet apart in any situation... no worries, been boating like that forever. 
    Florida imposed Shelter in Place last night. No travel unless absolutely neccesary for food or medical needs.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    The Potomac River, being mostly Maryland waters, is essentially closed to recreational boating.  Having said that, I strongly doubt anything would happen if a cruiser went out solo and anchored for the day.   

Hypothetical question:  If a boat that qualifies as a house (head, cooking facility and a bed) is anchored, would being on the boat qualify as being at home?  
  • Options
    LaRea said:

Hypothetical question:  If a boat that qualifies as a house (head, cooking facility and a bed) is anchored, would being on the boat qualify as being at home?  
    If it was your only residence I'd say yes. Otherwise no, not essential.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound ? Every one form NY is coming to there 2nd home in Ct.? I should tell them there non essential and stay home. I really hope there is an end to this some day.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    @reneechris14 the same thing is happening here. Some small cottage country towns are starting to pass bylaws to prevent this from happening. You can talk about infringing on rights all you want but the main issues are that if any of these idiots get sick or make someone else sick the small rural hospitals can't handle them. The other issue is that they are coming in and buying out the small local grocery stores so the locals can't get supplies.
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    J3ff said:
    Florida imposed Shelter in Place last night. No travel unless absolutely neccesary for food or medical needs.
    Fwc annouced boating is okay, just stay 50 apart and no sand bar parties.. with the news out that you may be able to catch this from people just talking and breathing (which actually makes a ton of sense for how fast it spreads) it might make sense to close it down.. who knows. 
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    @reneechris14 the same thing is happening here. Some small cottage country towns are starting to pass bylaws to prevent this from happening. You can talk about infringing on rights all you want but the main issues are that if any of these idiots get sick or make someone else sick the small rural hospitals can't handle them. The other issue is that they are coming in and buying out the small local grocery stores so the locals can't get supplies.
    This is the argument of why the keys put up a road block.. the stores couldn't keep anything in stock, people were driving hours to come load up and go back home on the mainland. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is some crazy sh&t...might as well just get it and get it over with...no vaccine for a year...think the heard and hope I'm one of the one that survived. We need to close down China from the rest of the world...all this crap seems to start there....not being mean, just afraid!
  • Options
    Covid boating right now, just out listening to some tunes...

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    good 4 you = looks nice out = i am so ready to be hot
    enjoy
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    This warm weekend coming up is gonna be really tough not going to the boat. I even had college football on tonight to make me think it's late fall and boating is over for a while.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    As far as I understand a yacht is considered a 2nd home. And a 26' boat could be yacht certified if conditions are met. If I had a camp in the mountains what difference does it make to the authorities if I'm at home or at my camp?

2 guys I bowl with tested positive. The one was just released from the hospital yesterday after 11 days in the ICU. The local news just did a story on him.

@Cableguy Greg if you were watching the news on Fox 53 just now that was him. His son-in-law that is married to his daughter on there bowls in our league too. Haven't heard how the 2nd guy from bowling is doing.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Michigan state harbors are closed. At least here in West Mich all the marinas are closed. Can’t even get to boats inside stored (like mine). No boats being launched if you need a hoist. Public launches open but subject to closure if they deem the 6’ / distancing not being adhered too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    My local lake is ran by the army corps of engineers, a fedreal branch of government.  Our governer, who sounds like fog horn leg horn, closed lakes, rivers and beaches.  The army corps is suggesting they dont have the authority to do that on army corps lakes. 

The marinas like Portman and big water closed its ramps but the people in slips still come and go as they please. Their repair facilities are running wide open. 

So as of now nearly all ramps on Hartwell remain open.

The army corps did close it's camp grounds and parks with picnic tables/play grounds.

I live in a town than boomed because of the cotton mill.  We have a river in the middle of town. Since the governer ordered the closure of the water ways the bank fishing spots are all crowded.  There are usally 2 to 3 cars every afternoon fishing.  Yesterday there were a dozen.  The locals are deliberately going against orders to socially distance. 

• Options
    My boat has better toiletries than my shop

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    ... Our governer, who sounds like fog horn leg horn, ... 
    Haha, you are right! 

If that boy don't quit talking so much, he'll get his tongue sunburned.  
  • Options
    I cannot listen to his press conferences. I simply cannot take anyting he says seriously lol
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    Is that a jail bathroom @PickleRick
    LoL! I was thinking the same! 
    2008 330EC