Options

CIVID Boating

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    It would.  I bet it's a secondary factor compared to how many times you spin the crankshaft and the condition of the engine oil. 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Load definitely matters. Running 20 MPH not pulling the tube, mine shows right around 7.5-7.8 GPH on VVM.  Running 20 MPH (obviously same RPM) with the tube it goes to right at 10 GPH. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another boating day over here 🤣
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why would rpm decrease with speed? There is no transmission😷
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not decreasing you are just spending less time at those rpm to go a given distance. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
  • Options
    Engine load and stress on bearings and components I would think be a bigger favor of engine wear than just rpm. I call phooey!
  • Options
    Hey blame LaRea for that conclusion 😁. It is a good discussion though and something I had not thought about. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    rasbury said:
    Engine load and stress on bearings and components I would think be a bigger favor of engine wear than just rpm. I call phooey!
    Bearing speed is a larger wear factor. Increased bearing speed (increased rpm) is harder on an engine that more load, within reason. 
  • Options
    I don't have a clue why, but the calculation is simple:

Revs per minute / 60 minutes per hour / miles per hour = revs per mile

I will gladly flout meaningless calculations to justify my need for speed.  :D
  • Options

Took a video for you too, just waiting for it to upload. 
  • Options
    RPMs per mile doesn’t change. Fuel burn does, based on load. No different than dragging a trailer with your truck.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say with the 342 ,28mph 3800rpm the boat is in the water more, 32mph 4100rpm the boat is higher and feels like less drag, this could be just me trying to justify going faster. I try to stay at 4000rpm on my fiaria tachs?? Its not very often the ocean allows it, south of long island sound is usually above 3 to 5 ft seas. Also I believe a small block can handle the revs.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Red limiter is at 5500 75% 4125rpm
  • Options
    Agreed, but think about crankshaft revolutions per <mile> not per minute.  

If you're riding a one-speed beach bicycle, 1000 revolutions of the pedal shaft will carry you exactly the same distance whether you're going 5 mph or 15 mph.  It's fixed gearing, so speed has no effect on revs per mile.  

That's not true on a boat because of prop slip.  The distance you travel on 1000 engine revs will change with the amount of prop slip you get at different speeds.  I think the graph is showing us that the 342 gets less prop slip the faster she goes.  

At 1000 RPM, the 342 will move 155 yards on 1000 revs of the engine.  At 4000 RPM, that same 1000 revs will move the boat 254 yards because (I guess) there's less prop slip.

@69fastback your race car probably has more wheelspin at 30 mph than it does at 90 mph.  <major grin>
  • Options
    #whenengineersgetbored
  • Options
    I guess while we are throwing our $100 bills in the water at the marina we still want to figure out a way to keep . 50¢ in our pocket 😆
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    Looks like a bunch of social distancing boaters are out here today... So weird to not go tie up... 

And these three are here making sure I guess... Just showed up out of no where..

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Today, I really wanted to do my fishing <for food> in DC, where I might have also seen a nice flyover by some bad-as@ military hardware.  Instead, I got this.  There's no fuel available in my area, and our club's fuel dock can't open until next weekend.

First.  World.  Problems.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    @LaRea I thought you were one of those smart ones that filled your tank for the winter.  I have at least a couple hundred gallons extra you could use.  I'll rub it in by saying, the flyover was awesome!!!  They came right over our marina on way up to Baltimore.  I think a little show for Navy town.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @J3ff isnt it convenient how all keys and Miami sheriff patrol boats are set up for offshore fishing?

In SC many are on nothing more than a flat bottom jon boat.

I feel like i need that job. 

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    we have been in since march 15 - table rock lake with all faculties open n working = i was just reading our towboat post on fb = said it was crazy out today as busy as 4th of july  = all tow boats were in service....beautiful day n the ozarks  88 n sunny = we chose to stay home n work on the house 
    might have been the right call .
    just reading 1 killed @ lake of the ozarks boat explosion = 3 hurt
    prayers for all

Post edited by trip_n on
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    @LaRea why is there a 13 gallon difference between tanks? That seems like a lot. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    The system only reads to the nearest 1/8 of a tank, which is aggravating.  For example, it will show 72 gallons for a while, then it will suddenly click down to 57 gallons

We went to refuel at the closest marina (six miles away), but they were closed.  We didn't have enough fuel to get anywhere else, so we came home.  
  • Options
    With all that need for speed and calculating revs per min and mph it seem you for got about natural resources but its awful nice that dream afforded up his fuel.😃
  • Options
    I’m going to fill mine up this week with prices down to $.97. This week looks like dirt bikes with my son Monday, working around the house Tuesday, boating on Wednesday, Thursday is open, and dirt biking with my daughter on Friday. What a crazy time. These are great tools for family time, and I just hope I don’t have to sell them all when the unemployment checks start rolling in, so the game plan is to use them as much as possible for now. 
  • Options
    Yeah, on the day we finally got some decent weather, we couldn't get any fuel to take advantage of it.  Our fuel dock opens next Saturday, and I'll be there to break out the checkbook and pump a couple hundred gallons.  

I'll say this about cruising with empty tanks:  when the boat is that light, she gets on plane in about five seconds!  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our state parks open this week.  I will be finishing most of my bottom paint this evening other than areas under the rollers ill be knocking out during the week. 

The weather here has been in the 80s.  If rain holds out i can launch next weekend.  

• Options
    It’s already in the 90s here. I’m loaded for a day of fun tomorrow and then hitting the water again on Wednesday. Maybe do some beach burgers!