Options

Transom assemblies and engine room makeover

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sir you do some really awesome work. I will just be happy to get my motors back in.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Tiara?  Sheee-it.  If Tiara wasted as much labor on wiring as I do, they would go out of business within a year, making room for Rinker to get back into the game.  

BTW see those two ground bus bars at the left?  I have twenty screw terminals, and each one has two wires - some with three.  As I've said before -- a lot of circuits run their grounds directly back to the engine room.  
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    LaRea looks amazing,  love what you did with all the electronics and what you did with the batteries moving them forward.  Mine are in the far corner and its a workout to get the big house batteries out for service. Just finished tonight my painting and cleaning nothing like yours but if I had more time I would look at doing what you did.  One thing I am looking for is maybe a new waste tank before I put the engines in.  Mine has a repair which I am not happy with.  It does not leak or anything just looking for a new one if I can get one.

2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    Collateral damage:  Gotta replace the raw water hoses that run from the heat exchanger down to the drain valve.  The hoses rubs against the alternator, and both of mine were almost worn through.  

It's #13 in this diagram:

• Options
    Those hoses on my 342 had the same spot. I zipped tied a piece from the old hose as a portective layer.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that makes me want to cry.....so pretty....
  • Options
    Temporary garage for engine work ... not quite as nice as the one a few blocks away at home.

Freshly painted genny box, with plumbing lines secured up high instead of hanging just above the genny.

• Options
    Gaskets from the ends of the heat exchanger on the front of the engine.  Ya think these were due for replacement?  But they never leaked.  

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    The missing detail is that the gaskets are supposed to be flat!!

Any tips on removal or just remove the end bolt and pry off the cap?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Remove bolt, pry off with a screwdriver.  Yes, the gaskets are born flat!  
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    LaRea, what is with the "silly string" silicone job at the transom, I noticed my boat had the same thing. Must have been a Rinker thing
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the heat exchangers clean?
  • Options
    goalie59 said:
    LaRea, what is with the "silly string" silicone job at the transom, I noticed my boat had the same thing. Must have been a Rinker thing
    Yeah, the production guys were not bashful with the sealant.  Even so, mine has a void 6" long behind the generator.  Speaking of which, I need to fill that gap.  

Are the heat exchangers clean?

Yes, I cleaned them last time I had an impeller failure, which is how I knew the gaskets were history.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I changed one of my heat exchanger gaskets this past summer (reminds me I need to change the other).  It looked identical to your pictures.  I think just one slightly overheat and those get deformed.  To all, note that they really only seal around the outside, but, if those pieces come off, it can and probably would clog the exchanger.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Since mine are out I will look at the exchanger seals also great find.  LaRea is your power plants Mercs or Volvo's ?  From your earlier pictures the blocks were Red.  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    Sorry just went and looked back again saw that it was reneechris14 post.  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    This is the gasket for my Merc 496 (one pair of gaskets for $15).  Sierra also offers one for around $10.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8OTGFS
  • Options
    There is an oring on the bolt between the cover and the gasket. Or at least there is on mine.
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    For reinstalling the transom assemblies -- the Merc installation manual does not call for sealant on the gasket between the gimbal housing and the hull.  But several people here on the forum have recommended sealing it.  Are you guys 100% sure about that?  Seal with what - 4200?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    LaRea said:
    For reinstalling the transom assemblies -- the Merc installation manual does not call for sealant on the gasket between the gimbal housing and the hull.  But several people here on the forum have recommended sealing it.  Are you guys 100% sure about that?  Seal with what - 4200?
    Absolutely positive to seal it!!  I can check, but pretty sure it was 4200.  Mine actually has a small amount oozing around the entire assembly (almost looks like caulking after the fact, but I know it was actual squeezed out).  This is one time to not over think it, and make sure it comes out all the way around and you can use a wet sponge to make it look nice.  I remember Al stating the same thing in my thread on this topic.

OK, I found the link:

Another Transom leak — Rinker Boat Company (vanillacommunities.com) - page 1

Al stated: "I always seal the transom with 3m 4200 as well as the new seal on the plate Assy."

Oh that link just took me back to some miserable times!!  (& it wasn't due to the transom assemblies, but other issues)

• Options
    @Dream_Inn. I like your first two sentences in that link. 
  • Options
    Thanks @Dream_Inn that clears it up.  4200 it is.
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    Yes I will be using 4200 when mine get re-installed.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. Liberal amounts oozing out as well. Not the time to make it look perfect.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    If I get down to the boat this weekend, I'll get a picture of the "oozing". :smile:

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
     😎
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    That sure is pretty!!! If you aren't going to do anything with the old alternator...well, I have one that has been a bit sticky since I flushed out the heat exchanger. I've silicon sprayed it a couple times over the winter, see how it is in spring.