Options

Transom assemblies and engine room makeover

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least it’s an easy swap to the 5046 . Imagine if it used a different type of terminal or mounted in a different orientation!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the number of terminals makes the difference??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Neither one has an air-tight cover.  I don't understand how either could be certified.   

In retrospect, the 5051 is a better solution for me.  With the 5035, I needed external circuit breakers for the 40-amp DTS circuits.  The 5051 can handle 40-amp circuits, so I can put everything on a single panel with capacity to spare.  It's a little bigger, so I'll need to rearrange some things.  

Blue Sea Systems ST CLB 12-Position Circuit Breaker Block 632085050511   eBay
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics when your done!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can put the motor back in, just don't put any oil in it!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    you might want to buy a box of those little hospital booties to cover your shoes when you go back in.  Wouldn't want to get it dirty.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    LeRea  Looks amazing I am doing the same thing right now but love how you pulled everything out to paint.  I am doing everything I can see and cleaning everything else to brand new white to match as my mechanic works to fats or I would of done the back of the boat.  I am moving wiring and doing the battery area next but I have to remove my exhaust pipe from my Genny and paint around it later this week. You can see the colour difference on the right which will match once its painted. But having the boat in heated storage is awesome to do work and the paint dries well. :smile:
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    @SimcoeRinker342 - your starter cables go to a post on the stringer, and there's a short cable from the post to the starter?  Maybe I'll set up mine that way.  What size wire runs from the post to the starter?

Also, your big battery cables all run along the bulkhead.  I wish Rinker had built mine like that, rather than running them down in the bottom of the bilge.  I always hated it because I could never really clean the bilge.  Now mine are like yours. 
  • Options
    My boat neighbor has a 370 like yours but he got his with like 100hrs or something that low.  You guys are all in saltwater right noticed a lot more corrosion on your guy's boats. Do you have Volvos and had to replace the transom plates? I heard the Volvos plates never wear out?  My Mercs were toast 550 hrs 2.5 inches of movement left to right and leaking water I think for a while then also one of the Gear oil lines were leaking which made an awful mess of the bilge plus the moisture always down there made the back wall have this light black crap on it.. So lots of cleaning but like your boat worth every minute of work as I am a no water in the boat type guy my 342 never had a leak other than the vents letting rainwater in.  And yes the starter wires run from the back I can check the gauge tomorrow when I am working on the boat. Again your boat looks awesome the same way I do my engine bays in my classic cars super clean.  

2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    Sweet Grandmother's Spatula ... not gonna say my ER looks like that, but that's the standard to which I aspire!

Transom failure at 550 hours is early, but maybe not too far below normal.  Mine probably started leaking at 600-700 hours.  On my 342 it was probably around 600 hours. 

BTW I'm in fresh water.  Salt water will cause corrosion, but so will a steady 24-hour flow of fresh water.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    well, my transom was leaking from day one, but i didn't have the gut to remove my engine in a brand new boat, until 8 year later.
  • Options
    Mine are Mercs and my mechanic was telling me they had a bad batch from 2008 to 2013 or something and they fail out of warranty and Merc knew they had a problem and never did anything to help customers.  Basically, the Merc Defect was soft material issue.  Also, I think mine did not corrode because of the oil line leaks.  :smile:  Anyway can't wait to have it all back together and back in the water in the spring.  At least everything will be new and sealed up.  Good way to start with a new boat.  My 342 had new drives on it as the owner before me got Volvo to cover some of the cost.  But those Ocean x Drives were a really nice setup and overkill for freshwater.
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    For what you guys spend on your boats I could travel around the globe for 3 years First class!! LOL
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Travel is dirt cheap right now!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its no fun traveling with out a boat.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    To be honest I am not in to deep so far $8k Cad that be a trip to Mexico now total price minus what I made on the 342 I am still not too bad 😉
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I paid about $4k CAD for transom assembly rebuild plus new hydraulic lines (parts and labour). Survey said bellows were toast and I got the boat late in the season so didn’t get to sea trial it.  I should have done whole new transom assemblies as I found out after that my pins leak 🙁
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    @SimcoeRinker342
    Mine are Mercs and my mechanic was telling me they had a bad batch from 2008 to 2013 or something and they fail out of warranty and Merc knew they had a problem and never did anything to help customers.  Basically, the Merc Defect was soft material issue.  Also, I think mine did not corrode because of the oil line leaks. 
    Mercury offers 2 pins one steel, one stainless, why I don't know. I just replaced mine with stainless for an extra $20 each along with new seals.

• Options
    Yeah looked at that but I had to much play to use the bushing and pin kit elongated holes.  The aluminum around your quick fix will start to wear out around the stainless bushing then you will have to replace the transom plates at that point.  Either way, I got a good deal on the Rinker 400 so I am not complaining plus I got a chance to clean up the engine bay with the engines out.  YYRC I thought bellows also but it was the pins..  I Bought the boat in the water as it was sitting in New Liskeard and the Frenchman I bought it from could not get out there fast enough :smile: and then the boat came out of the water the next day. But like said I paid smaller boat money for this thing so I am happy.  When all said and done its all-new :wink:  

2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @SimcoeRinker342 Started reading your comment but my eye was dragged down to that beautiful corvette. Fine car , one of my favourites. Would you swap it for a 04' 212  haha
  • Options
    Lol no I put a lot of work into that car and amazingly my wife loves the car which she has never liked anything classic I have owned. I am building a 1967 Nova SS (Oshawa Canada Car) right now which will probably be for sale in Summer and I can arrange to ship it out east if you like.  I have two costly hobbies boating and cars.  :)  I Like fixing and clean them up.

2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    I will take a 69 Dart with a 426 wedge
  • Options
    Yes ZL1 very fun car :) ... 69 Dart with a new hemi would be a fun build. :)
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    OK, Handy, you wanted pix.  I finished replacing the fuse block today.  Here's the NON-ignition-protected 5035 ST blade fuse panel before I started tearing it out today:

The two breakers at the top are 40-amp breakers for the DTS modules up at the helm.  I used separate breakers because the fuse block can only do 30-amp circuits.  

The new 5051 breaker block is taller and wider, and it can handle 40-amp circuits, so everything is one one panel with room for four more circuits.  I decided to reroute most of the wires to match the conventional layout of supply on the left, load on the right.  That turned it into a 4-hour job, and I got my exercise for the day.  

Here it is before I closed up the wire trays:

And now with the covers on the trays.  I love working with those trays.  It looks much better, and will definitely be easier to maintain.  

• Options
    One more detail.  To rearrange the components in this new layout, I had to make the house battery bank hang slightly over the edge of the deck.  They are on a slab of Starboard that is screwed to the deck.  

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a brand new bote. Nice job.
  • Options
    Thanks.  All I need now is transom assemblies (expected in a couple weeks) and enough warm weather to work on the engines. 
  • Options
    Wiring is not tight enough
  • Options
    I'll try to bring it up to RV standards.
  • Options
    Tiara standards