Options

Transom assemblies and engine room makeover

Comments

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Remove or replace the pan. I would have loved to been able to do that to my 5e 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Definitely replace couplers.  You have a heavy boat like mine.  It's better to just replace items in that area.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Not sure what I'd do differently from the annual, but you have a point.
    Remove and clean flame arrestor and clean out carb? Depending on where your Genny is, that side can be not so fun to get to.....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    You guys are awesome.  I can already see that this project will keep me constructively occupied all the way through the Season That Shall Not Be Named.  

I'm going to buy two engine stands.  Suggestions?  I saw some 1-ton stands for under $150, and I'm assuming any adjustable stand will fit.  
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Here's the list so far.

Drives:
    Replace transom assemblies
    Replace trim hoses

Engines:
    Replace couplers
    Replace exhaust elbows, couplers, flappers
    Replace starters
    Replace water hoses
    Replace engine mounts
    Touch up engine paint
    Check compression

Engine room:
    Install better lights
    Paint floor/walls
    Replace insulation on hatch and bulkhead
    Install wire trays
    Replace bilge pump
    Trace and label battery cables

Generator:
    Replace rusted bolts on sound shield
    Inspect pan

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea is there an original transponder under the engine that went to the dash??? An old unit? 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    One piece of advice that I learned the hard way is to make sure that when you paint you give yourself more than enough time for it to fully harden or you will find it on the bottom of your mechanics shoes and all over your deck.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see bellows and all associated parts listed. Was that already done recently? If you have it off definitely check the gimbal, u joint and bellows 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    The transom assembly includes bellows, new rams, shift cable and all the other little bits and pieces. 

Handy - the depth sounder is forward of the engine, and very easy to reach any time.  I'll probably hold off on upgrading it to a fishfinder.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    The transom assembly includes bellows, new rams, shift cable and all the other little bits and pieces. 

Handy - the depth sounder is forward of the engine, and very easy to reach any time.  I'll probably hold off on upgrading it to a fishfinder.  
    On my 342 it was almost impossible to get to
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    I have to do my port engine transom which is being leaking for some time. I am planing  to do it when i remove the radar arch so i can use a forklift to lift the engine out the bay compartment this off season. 
  • Options
    I can't get a camera down there, but I'm sure mine look like that if not worse.  
  • Options
    Today I built a set of temporary stairs for the estimated 2000 times I'll climb onto the boat over the next 4-5 months.  I have traumatic past experience with fall injuries, so I didn't mind spending a couple hours building stairs (mostly with materials leftover from other projects).  

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Good call on the stairs. That many times up and down a ladder your gonna trip at some point. Even just using a ladder occasionally you mess up at some point. 

That rise doesn't look to code in the photo and also you need a railing for that height 😆
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:

That rise doesn't look to code in the photo and also you need a railing for that height 😆
    You beat me to it! 6 7/8”!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    These stairs are fine obviously. Just joking around.

I have built a hand full of stairs and railing and I have gotten better at it but my first experiences were for customers when I owned a steel fab shop and I absolutely hated it. Lots of small code to follow for every little aspect of stairs and especially railing. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea you should consider having the hull painted. I will never have another non-white hullside boat that isn’t painted. Looks great all year, no effort!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Haha you guys crack me up ... I probably will add a hand rail.  The 11" rise won't win me any prizes at the county code office, but it's the same as the swim ladder and just maybe a little bit safer.  

I also built a couple outdrive dollies like what @aero3113 and others have built.  My mechanic is going to pull the engines, and then I get to start the renovation work.

With 820 hours on the engines, I guess I'll do a compression check to see if the top end needs attention.  
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @LaRea you should consider having the hull painted. I will never have another non-white hullside boat that isn’t painted. Looks great all year, no effort!
    Thought about it many times.  I usually get the hull compounded and waxed mid-season ... didn't this year, and it really shows.  
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a compiled list if part numbers for the common service items on the forum?  Im also doing bellows and gimball bearing.  I think @Alswagg liked one of the Sierra bellows over that of oem mercruiser.

I plan on tackling all this after Christmas and would love to have part numbers lined up somewhere.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the start of many ups and doens if know what I mean. Today I'm making a prop puller to start my pulling of motors. The stairs is a great idea.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Is there a compiled list if part numbers for the common service items on the forum?  Im also doing bellows and gimball bearing.  I think @Alswagg liked one of the Sierra bellows over that of oem mercruiser.

I plan on tackling all this after Christmas and would love to have part numbers lined up somewhere.
    @PickleRick I've never seen one.  So many models and variations ...
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice on the stairs, I’m sure someone in the yard will be happy to have em when your done or a nice to have for you for years to come. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

@PickleRick I've never seen one.  So many models and variations ...
    Isn't the sealed updated thicker sealed gimball bearing used on 98 and up models?  The bellows should also be same on be b1/2/3s id think. That covers most of us with merc stern legs.  
  • Options
    I think the yard will get a good deal on a flight of stairs, two outdrive trolleys and two engine stands.   :)
  • Options
    @shawnmjr - You mean on the leftover deck boards that have already been gathering moss and slime for two years in my back yard?  Yes, smart idea.  
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I’d probably install new blowers & ductwork as well when everything is out......maybe you mentioned that already.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    I think he needs to fix it then sell it and get his dream trawler so it’s paid off by retirement 🤓
  • Options
    I did blower hoses this year and fans two years ago.  Handy I'd be allowed to buy a trawler only if it looks like a Rinker and cruses at 30 knots.