Transom assemblies and engine room makeover

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea I hope you are making a wiring diagram 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, while it's fresh in my mind.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Looking good!  I do love those push on brass fittings!  I installed them on the front of my water heater with 90 degree ones so I don't keep bumping them while in the ER.  Did you install a new water heater as well? I also see you have a pressure tank.  I think that was the best thing I installed on my boat!  My water tank and pump is under my salon floor, which is great.  But, it was a little loud.  The pressure tank really helped with that and now I don't hear it kick on.  (I also isolated it better as well)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Yes, the water heater was 14 years old and probably living on borrowed time.  I also made a custom mounting bracket for the water pump and accumulator tank.  
  • oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    can you use regular PEX and sharpbite for the pluming system?
    edited December 2020
    Yes, regular PEX and SharkBite if it's not exposed to sunlight.  The original plumbing was PEX with plastic fittings.  The great thing about SharkBite is you can easily take it apart if needed.  But they are expensive. 
  • oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    I mounted a 2'x4' piece of 3/4" plywood on the starboard side.  It's sealed with primer and two coats of BilgeKote.  The cable trays and other components are all screwed to the plywood.  The slotted cable tray is by Panduit, purchased from Digi-Key.  It's great stuff, but expensive. 

Boats that are built this way from the factory are expensive, and now I can see why.  The labor costs to design cables and finish them like this would be huge.  

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea - You are doing God's work.  o:)
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking good @LaRea !! 😎
    2008 330EC
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All awesome wiring then a wad of red tape with 4 white wires that must be temporary 😀 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Haha - I figured somebody would comment.  That's the LED wiring harness I built a few years ago for the cockpit and speaker lights.  The connections are sturdy and reliable (soldered and heat-shrinked under the tape), but definitely not pretty.  I'll re-do them when I find some good 4-wire connectors.  

Speaking of which:  I cut out most of the OEM wiring harness for speakers and lighting.  I should have removed it when I upgraded those systems.  

And the power feeds for the DTS controllers up at the helm (two 40-amp circuits) each had an extra 15 feet of 10-gauge wire that was just coiled up and zip-tied.  The extra has been cut out and re-used for the trim pumps.  
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

And the power feeds for the DTS controllers up at the helm (two 40-amp circuits) each had an extra 15 feet of 10-gauge wire that was just coiled up and zip-tied.  The extra has been cut out and re-used for the trim pumps.  
    Smart!

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    Three wires run from the battery charger to the isolator.  As with everything else, they disappear into a wiring harness encased in black electrical tape, wire ties and corrugated sheathing.  Well, I extricated them today.  I'll make a new wiring run that can be traced by eye and will be half as long with new connectors.  As it should be.

It's hard to describe how satisfying I find this job.  At the end of a busy day, I go to the boat for an hour or two and extract order from chaos.  
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dropped the long block at the machine shop today. Doing one at a time so I don't get things mixed up. Oh and don't have to take all my eggs out of the basket at once. I think the intake on a 496 is bigger then the block.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Have to commend you on your skilled and thought out workmanship. 
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    How many hours on your motors? What is the reason you are rehabbing them? 
    @earl1z19 I guess you're asking @reneechris14.  On my 496 motors with 800 hours, I can't find any reason to open them.  The oil report says the engines are fine.  I'll just do corrosion control, and replace the starters and hoses.  Even the oilpans are fine.  
    Now this project is starting to feel real.  I still have much to do in the engine room, but MAYBE by spring I'll do things that will win me favor with the Admiral:  gelcoat and carpets.  

• 342_Long342_Long Member Posts: 17
    Great Job Chris.  I am so jealous.  looking forward to see it in person.
    @LaRea , you should put some cameras in the engine room to keep an eye on things as your running.
    2008 330EC
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Awesome job LaRea, I wish I had half your patience
    The thought has crossed my mind.  Raymarine apparently has good support for IP cameras, but I'd need to find one that is ignition-protected.  And I'm not shelling out $500 for a Raymarine camera!
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    @earl1z19 I guess you're asking @reneechris14.  On my 496 motors with 800 hours, I can't find any reason to open them.  The oil report says the engines are fine.  I'll just do corrosion control, and replace the starters and hoses.  Even the oilpans are fine.  
    I think as long as you stay on top of preventative maintenance you can put a ton of hours on those motors. 
    In road vehicles 3000 hrs equates to approx 100K miles.

Boat hours get a bad rap, but I firmly believe that the large majority of boats get little to no preventative maintenance on motors. Lack of use, lack of maintenance & lazy owners are the cause.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    I've been making slow progress.  Today I installed the batteries, built the battery cables, installed shiny new insulation on the bulkhead, and reassembled the breaker panel.  I busted the breaker that serves the cabin DC power ... at $50 each, I'll be more careful next time.  

For $100, I got a hydraulic crimper and enough ring terminals to build everything I need.  Most of the OEM connectors were in rough shape and needed to be replaced.  

Example:  the installer didn't have the correct ring terminal for the windlass, so he used used one that was too small, and made it fit by brute force.  That's some serious Friday-afternoon, production-deadline kinda stuff.  I cut it off and installed a proper ring terminal.  

Looking good @LaRea

Harbor freight has a great hydraulic crimper that I use. With a 20% off coupon it’s a great deal!!

https://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

2008 330EC
    @aero3113 that's basically the one I have, straight out of China.  I doubt it would last for 1000 crimps, but so what.  
    I recrimped all of the terminals on my 242 and a bunch on the 330. It does a great job.
    2008 330EC
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea - What did you use for your insulation? My engine hatch insulation was deteriorating so I ripped it all off and have been looking for options.