Transom assemblies and engine room makeover

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Home sweet home
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Very nice!  (Except for the drain plug.)

I started demo on my engine room today.  Transom assemblies are out, along with most of the wiring.  The transom itself feels very solid with no evidence of water damage, so that's a relief.

Here's the port steering pin ... stbd not quite so bad.

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @reneechris14 I went back to look but I can't see or remember as to why you are pulling your engines? 

Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    @reneechris14 I went back to look but I can't see or remember as to why you are pulling your engines? 

He is installing new Diesels
  • Options
    Yeah I bet 😆. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking my transom assembly was bad, but I was wrong. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm probably 3-4 years late addressing this problem. 
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:

Low compression on #5 and #6 on both motors. Always do compression check before you do anythi ng
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Very nice!  (Except for the drain plug.)

I started demo on my engine room today.  Transom assemblies are out, along with most of the wiring.  The transom itself feels very solid with no evidence of water damage, so that's a relief.

Here's the port steering pin ... stbd not quite so bad.

Do you see any damage to the inside of the assembly it self on the inside or just dirty 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I guess the question is - does anyone ever not have a problem with Mercury transom assemblies? 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    J3ff said:
    So I guess the question is - does anyone ever not have a problem with Mercury transom assemblies? 
    Considering there are literally hundreds of thousands of them out there the failure rate is not that high. We only hear about the bad ones, not the majority of boaters that have never had to touch them. The old Evinrude/OMC ones were way worse (In my opinion). The way the bellows were set up a failure was pretty much an instant sinking.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LR you must be doing some salt water boating for the arm to look like that?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    No complaints here.  Transom assembly years are like dog years.  Who has transom assemblies with 13 years/800 hours and no leaks?  Nobody.  On my 342 it was eight seasons.  It's the price of going fast.

I have a new theory on boat maintenance.  If you want to make ANYTHING easier, start by removing the engines.  Holy smokes -- I love it!  I think I might just leave them out.  

Shown below is Phase 1:  engines and transoms out, guts out, first pass with Purple Power and a brush.  What a cathartic experience.  The starboard deck is ready for rebuild with major changes.  I'm totally reconfiguring and rewiring.  Stay tuned for details.  Painting starts this week.  

• Options
    @Michael T I'm taking your advice regarding the old screw holes:  hit them with a shop vac to pull out any moisture, then fill with 5200. 
  • Options
    @LaRea how are you keeping the hatch open?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    And speaking of @Michael T where has he been?????????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    @LaRea that is going to be one awesome engine room when you are done!  I want to have a beer (or something stronger) in that engine room with you next summer!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    to quote the movie Step Brothers..." There is so much room for activities"
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    First coat of Bilgekote white on the starboard side.  Before you guys start wailing that I'm OCD for painting parts that will be hidden by tanks and appliances ... consider that it's only one coat.  And there are brush marks. Plus, that's just how I roll.  (Get it?  Roll?)

• Options
    @LaRea how are you keeping the hatch open?

• Options
    It's propped open with the fold-down leg on the underside of the hatch.
  • Options
    This just in:  If you get a big dollop of 3M 5200 smeared on your pants, and then you drive your Audi and smear 5200 all over the seat, and then you discover it two hours later and have a complete mental meltdown, the damage is not permanent. 

"Goof Off Pro Strength" will dissolve partially cured 5200.  Apply liberally, rub gently with a towel, then clean the seat with a mild detergent.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey that’s pretty good to know especially since it didn’t ruin your seat as acetone surely would have. One of the perks of 5200 curing so slowly I suppose...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I did a compression ckeck on the port now that it is home and maybe did not need pull this motor. #3 bad wire I do believe. But #5 was wet and port was rusty. 
  • Options
    Well you already were pulling one and got a good deal on the boat. Now you can really get things perfect for the spring. You should do this write up in a separate thread. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @reneechris14 , next season you will be happy you pulled both. Great piece of mind and everything will be spotless!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    One good thing about tearing up my engine room is finding and righting some wrongs in the wiring.

Example 1:  At some point in history, somebody connected both engines to the same starter battery, and the genny to the other starter battery.  That's how it has been ever since.  Sounds logical, right?  Unfortunately, it disables the "combine" feature of the battery switches.  

Example 2:  The terminal for the wire feeding the windlass was loose -- not even finger tight.  I'm lucky it never overheated from having such a poor connection.  

Example 3:  The 12V power feed to the helm goes to a loose terminal block that is wrapped in electrical tape and hanging loose in the bottom of the helm.  Not exactly ABYC-compliant.  

So, all you twin-engine boaters:  do you really know how your batteries are wired?
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are both your starting batteries on the same side?  On my 330 they are on opposite sides so someone would have to be both industrious and willing to spend a bit of $$ to have messed up the starter battery wiring.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    She's a real beauty. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988