Options

Happy Spring!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Vaccines can't eradicate a virus.  Except maybe polio, but I guess the jury is still out. 

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    How appropriate that Polio has been mentioned.    That is the LAST thing, ever completely CURED by modern medicine.  Big Pharma learned a very important lesson.  There is a lot more money in treatment, than a cure.  
    There are some seriously evil people in this world.  Big Pharma is at the top of that list. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    US families produce 4 million babies a year, and 99% of those kids get four doses of the polio vaccine.  That's why you've never known anybody who got polio.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    New jersey is going to pay out 55 million to families of the veteran nursing home victims 
    111 families 

BUT NO ONE IS HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ALL THE DEATHS 
  • Options
    One thing is certain.  We all love boating.  None of us are solving any medical problems by arguing on here.  
    I'm fine with anyone who wants to take the Vax.  I'm not fine, with anyone judging me for not taking it.   
    Our motto is not, Land of the Free, home of the Mandate   B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    Lake_Bum said:
    You cannot eradicate a virus. So quit blaming the non-vaxxed.  That is playing into the hands of the poision on the news every day, every network. 
    It's not about eradication, it's about mitigation. And virus' can certainly be mitigated. When was the last time you saw a polio outbreak? There hasn't been a case of polio in the US since 1979. Why? Because we vaccinate for it.

Vaccines have been used to prevent the spread of a disease (keep people healthier than unprotected ones), to lessen the stress on the healthcare system, and to keep economies stable.

Not getting vaccines compromises all of these.
    And is less likely to mutate correct? That's what I'm getting at...control instead of a wild fire
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:

And is less likely to mutate correct? That's what I'm getting at...control instead of a wild fire
    That's actually a great analogy. You fight wildfires by using controlled back burns.

So you think of it this way: Back burning (getting vaccinated) reduces the amount of fuel (human hosts) that are available to the main fire (live virus). You may still get a fire, but it is smaller and/or more contained.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I feel crappy every day. No test needed - I will feel great come late April. 
    Agree, I pretty much have the symptoms posted above from December trough April every year for the last decade…..
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Al you are a lucky man to not know one person who has died from Covid, wish I could say that. Know several. 
    Don’t know anyone passed from it either.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Know a couple here, but only 1 my age.. he was afraid of the vaccine, was tough to watch his dad (pastor of his church) cry over his sons dead body during the funeral, left behind 3 young sons. 
  • Options
    Ian said:
    Al you are a lucky man to not know one person who has died from Covid, wish I could say that. Know several. 
    Don’t know anyone passed from it either.
    Odd that after pages of comments that’s what you chose to add to but hey good for you man. I envy that position. 

Our closest friend that we lost was a pier over from us at the marina, his boat was a few slips down from my in laws boat. He was 55, two college aged kids and a wife. Not vaccinated. Super sad for him to pass from complications stemming from covid. Hope you continue to be un effected. 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I do a COVID test every morning - I fart and drink my coffee. If I can smell it and the coffee tastes good - negative test.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Just a heads up, loss of taste and smell is much less common in Omicron so you may have to adjust your protocol. 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian said:
    I do a COVID test every morning - I fart and drink my coffee. If I can smell it and the coffee tastes good - negative test.
    I tested positive for COVID yesterday ... I can still taste my coffee, and smell my farts. Your test is not a good one.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    Just a heads up, loss of taste and smell is much less common in Omicron so you may have to adjust your protocol. 
    I’ve also read that the vaccine may not be effective towards Omicron, maybe why so many vaccinated are testing positive? I read another article that is stating that cloth masks may not be effective towards omicron and advising to wear N95 type masks again. 
    There's five people in my household, all double vaxxed with Pfizer. 4 of us tested positive by rapid test for COVID, and we have all developed Omicron symptoms. My youngest has a dry throat, he's the only one we haven't done a rapid test recently on ... but waiting for a PCR test result we took yesterday ... I suspect he has covid.

Even if he doesn't have covid, 4 of 5 of us double vaxxed have covid. From what I hear, from friends that are non-vaxxed, their symptoms were worse ... muscle aches, sweat spells, headaches.  All we have is a dry cough and a bit of nasal congestion.

Sorry, I meant to say, nasal ongestion.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    extra prayers for Mark and his family! Take care of yourselves....
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    extra prayers for Mark and his family! Take care of yourselves....
    Thank you! If this is as bad as it will get ... then I'd say this Omicron is a blessing in disguise. If it establishes immunity against other variants ... and all I have to deal with is a dry cough and partially blocked nose (I think that is what ongestion means, only partly congested ... lol), then it's a walk in the park.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    MarkB said:
    shawnmjr said:
    I’ve also read that the vaccine may not be effective towards Omicron, maybe why so many vaccinated are testing positive? I read another article that is stating that cloth masks may not be effective towards omicron and advising to wear N95 type masks again. 
    There's five people in my household, all double vaxxed with Pfizer. 4 of us tested positive by rapid test for COVID, and we have all developed Omicron symptoms. My youngest has a dry throat, he's the only one we haven't done a rapid test recently on ... but waiting for a PCR test result we took yesterday ... I suspect he has covid.

Even if he doesn't have covid, 4 of 5 of us double vaxxed have covid. From what I hear, from friends that are non-vaxxed, their symptoms were worse ... muscle aches, sweat spells, headaches.  All we have is a dry cough and a bit of nasal congestion.

I agree, I think it does reduce the symptoms from what I’ve seen in my experience. I have several employees testing positive in the last couple months all vaxxed, but with mild symptoms. The strange thing is I haven’t had any unvaccinated employees test positive in months and the majority of my employees are unvaccinated. 
    Are the non-vaxxed being extra cautious with sanitizing and face masks. I found, even with myself, I become very lax once I had two shots.  I was ready to go back to normal life. Non-vaxxed on other hand are scared of getting the virus from vaxxed, so maybe they are just being that much more diligent?

I spoke last night with two guys that are not vaxxed and had Omicron ... they also got Delta and Omega.  They said Delta worse, then Omicron ... then Omega!  So, I'm thinking being non-vaxxed makes Omicron worse, because what I'm experiencing isn't anything to write home about ... the worst part of it is a dry persistent cough ... I cough once or twice every 3 to 5 minutes ... due to an itch at the back of my throat.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I had Covid the beginning of October, the wife as well.   I never lost smell, or taste.  Although, I couldn't stand the taste of water, it tasted like chemicals.....and I normally love water.  No loss of anything now, except my wallet from missing work haha. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    shawnmjr said:
    You need to be boosted at this point to have any kind of downplaying effects on Omicron.. I'll tell you that I attended 3 parties this past weekend, MANY folks are now sick and in bed as I type this. The only ones that are not, are the folks that got their boosters. Went and got it right before thanksgiving here, the plan was to live a normal life with as much protection as possible. It seems to have worked. I def was exposed to multiple people who had it, but it only resulted in a six hour sore throat and some coughing. My boosted parents and sister have seen no ill effects from me hanging out with people who are now in bed with symptoms. At this point, even though it's just my little slice of the world, it seems that unvaxxed is the same as vaxxed with no booster as my unvaxxed friend and his vaxxed wife (no booster) are getting hit the hardest right now.   My sister was also exposed yesterday to someone who tested positive this morning. I finally found an appt to be tested later today. Betting on positive, will be surprised if it isn't. 
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    MarkB said:
    shawnmjr said:

I agree, I think it does reduce the symptoms from what I’ve seen in my experience. I have several employees testing positive in the last couple months all vaxxed, but with mild symptoms. The strange thing is I haven’t had any unvaccinated employees test positive in months and the majority of my employees are unvaccinated. 
    that will change shortly or maybe it already has and you just dont know it.. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    you need a healthy immune system ,keep up on the vitamins 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the country quit testing, then what?????
    We never tested for colds or flu. Only treated for it
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would all those people do for work?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    That's what Trump's answer was...quit testing and you'll have no one with Covid, problem solved!
    Apples and oranges there Handy, IMO
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    That's what Trump's answer was...quit testing and you'll have no one with Covid, problem solved!
    Apples and oranges there Handy, IMO
    You didn't answer the question
  • Options
    Well I'm positive officially. Glad it's over. Hopefully having the booster + omni provides some kind of defense vs the next wave. 
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    If you read this chat from day one, you will end very paranoid at the end. 
This discussion has been closed.