Options

Super Cool New Mercury App.

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff - you need to remove the weather cap and replace with a yellow terminator.  I had the same issue as you.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The terminator is a must. If not, like the others stated, it won't communicate without it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    skennelly said:
    @J3ff - you need to remove the weather cap and replace with a yellow terminator.  I had the same issue as you.
    The terminator is a must. If not, like the others stated, it won't communicate without it.

Is this what you mean? http://www.motors23.net/single-272341764468.html  this goes on the connector that isn't used on a single motor? 
  • Options
    ps. where does it say that in the instructions? did I miss it? (will have to submit it as feedback if it's not there)
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    @J3ff I have not heard or seen this on any of Wally's post. But I have missed your setup in the thread
  • Options
    @J3ff, yes that is the terminator that you need on the extra port on the unit. If you look a few pages back, somewhere it does state that you need the terminator. It wasn't in the instructions. When I first connected my unit up, I removed the terminator and didn't put it on the extra connector. The Smartcraft wouldn't connect to the device. As soon as I put the terminator on, bingo, the Smartcraft LED lit up and all has been well.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @J3ff, yes that is the terminator that you need on the extra port on the unit. If you look a few pages back, somewhere it does state that you need the terminator. It wasn't in the instructions. When I first connected my unit up, I removed the terminator and didn't put it on the extra connector. The Smartcraft wouldn't connect to the device. As soon as I put the terminator on, bingo, the Smartcraft LED lit up and all has been well.
    Where did you get the terminator from? I ordered it anyway.. 
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg I'm confused now! lol
    There was no "yellow" terminator on my "can" harness (at the engines). I just disconnected the "weather cap" and plugged the "can" harness and ran them to Jboxes and plugged the VV into the dual engine adapter cable. Wally had posted this configuration awhile back. Where are you connecting the yellow terminator???
  • Options
    My engine had the terminator on the Smartcraft connector. @onislandtime , the terminator needs plugged into the empty VVM connector on the VVM harness.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    My engine had the terminator on the Smartcraft connector. @onislandtime , the terminator needs plugged into the empty VVM connector on the VVM harness.
    Hmm- mine had something on it, but it was purple, not yellow. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff  - I got mine off ebay for < 10 bucks.

On mine I had a weather plug that was green...so I'm not sure what the different colors actually mean if anything...just the yellow that says "terminator" on it is the important one.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    It will say "Terminator" on the cap.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg  that's news to me. Did that tid bit come with the instructions with the Module?
  • Options
    Here are some pics of my single engine setup. This is where the VVM plugs into the engine harness.

Here is the terminator on the "extra plug" on the VVM unit.

Here is where I mounted the VVM device. I used the wire tie straps on each end of the unit rather than screwing it in. I figured if I had to move the unit to the helm, it would be easier to cut a wire tie rather than fill a screw hole.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg gotcha, your only running single engine with no Jbox
  • Options
    Correct. If you have a Jbox, the extra port on the VVM unit still needs terminated for it to communicate.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Here are some pics of my single engine setup. This is where the VVM plugs into the engine harness.

Here is where I mounted the VVM device. I used the wire tie straps on each end of the unit rather than screwing it in. I figured if I had to move the unit to the helm, it would be easier to cut a wire tie rather than fill a screw hole.

Well I know what I'm writing in the feedback form when I get it up and running :neutral: I installed this thing three times looking at the directions and didn't see anything written about a terminator cap needed. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think so! :) Thank you so much for posting this.. 
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    J3ff said:

Well I know what I'm writing in the feedback form when I get it up and running :neutral: I installed this thing three times looking at the directions and didn't see anything written about a terminator cap needed. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think so! :) Thank you so much for posting this.. 
    The instructions that were with mine absolutely addressed removing the terminator plug from the motor connection and placing it on the new harness. Now to be honest I had no idea what the heck a terminator was at that point so I still didn't get it but it was there!
  • Options
    So lets be clear the weather cap that is on the module now has to be replaced with a yellow terminator cap?
  • Options
    So lets be clear the weather cap that is on the module now has to be replaced with a yellow terminator cap?
    That's what it appears to be.

I ordered one off of ebay and will try it this weekend.

J3ff said:

The instructions that were with mine absolutely addressed removing the terminator plug from the motor connection and placing it on the new harness. Now to be honest I had no idea what the heck a terminator was at that point so I still didn't get it but it was there!
    The plug on my engine didn't say terminator on it and isn't yellow, but I have a 383 reman, so maybe that's why? 
  • Options
    @J3ff I have twins and both engines had a purple weather cap.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @J3ff I have twins and both engines had a purple weather cap.
    so you had to buy the yellow thing? sorry been a long day :)
  • Options
    The VVM should have come with a terminator!
  • Options
    Maybe it will when it goes into full production. Remember, we are beta testers. If I were to guess, probably 60-70% of the engines have the terminator. Not adding it to the VVM unit saves some expense. I am sure the packaging will be updated letting paying customers know that they need the terminator. One thing that Wally stated was that this product is going to be marketed towards the single engine boats.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Anyone using a Ipad 3rd generation or any ipad?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I have it on an iPad Air.  Works fine, same as on my iPhone 6.
  • Options
    Tried a Ipad mini (newer) and same error message.
  • Options
    Who has twin engines and no DST or Smartcraft wiring and has been successful connecting to the app?
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Hello Everyone, man do I feel late to the party. 
    I was lucky enough to be included in the second group of testers. The problem is that this is really the first time in a couple of weeks I've had to catch up with whats going on here. Two weekends ago my daughter got married and I've had out of towners staying at my house or near my house for almost three weeks, last ones left this morning. Lots of entertaining. Then to top it off I had to go out of town last Friday-Sunday for work.
    So I'm trying to catch up and get the parts I need ordered asap.
    I have a 2003 342 Fiesta Vee with twin engines.
    From what I've read tonight I believe I need to order the  following parts.
    2- CAN data harness
    2-Smartcraft junction boxes.
    4-Smartcraft weather caps
    1-dual engine instrument adapter
    1-CAN P link harness assembly
    Have a Mercury dealer configure port engine to PORT CityID
    Does this look correct to you guys and do you have any other recommendations?
    I found someone on Ebay selling the parts listed above. Any one have a good source to order from?
    Hate asking for help with my homework but I feel like I've lost the better part of a month but gained a son.
    Thanks, Jerry