Options

Super Cool New Mercury App.

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Wally, we really appreciate you bringing this to us and allows us to test it out for you!  Sending customers your way as every single person who has seen the app in operation on my boat has wanted to know how they could get it. Just sent out a mass email tonight about where to buy it!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I just downloaded the app. I will have to turn the key on my boat to have the unit sync up. This will be a long winter...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    I just downloaded the final app. I'd like to start the process of loading in all my past maintenance however I can't seem to find the maintenance stuff on the app.  Does it show up only after I connect to the motor the first time?  If so I'll have to delay that until spring....
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    It said to remove the old app before downloading new. I didn't listen and downloaded the app which it replaced the beta one and all my maintenance info transferred. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    The VVM web site now says "under construction."  But it has a VVM product video, from which I learned a couple interesting things.  

If you select a preferred Merc dealer, VVM will share data with your dealer.  The dealer will know when you are due for service.  And if your engine throws a fault code, the dealer will know which code, as well as your speed, temps and pressures when the fault occurred.  This info will give the dealer "opportunities to reach out for service."  

Also, if you enter the make and model of your boat, Merc will share data with the boat builder.  

And, it goes without saying, Merc itself will gather lots of fleet data that could help the company improve its products.  

Some people will really like those features.  Others might not.  
  • Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    All,

IF you have downloaded the production app (from either Google Play or the App Store), please provide a review of the app (after you have had a chance to use it!).  Be honest in your review, not looking for 5's with no comments.  To me comments are the most important, especially for people who have only had analog gauges prior to VVM being available.  You can also provide email feedback direct to Mercury through the app now from the menu icon.  Same as before: support.vvm@mercmarine.com 

Finally, the www.vesselviewmobile.com website is being revamped (under construction) and should be made available soon (potentially by the end of next week if not sooner).  We are adding a FAQ, How To videos and other revisions.

The app and website will be updated on a continuous basis.  I know there are many things we have received from this group that needs to be added, feel free to pass those on again via the email feedback.  Thanks for your time!

Wally

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go, Wally! Mercury - best on the water, period! MT
  • Options
    Mats_AugustssonMats_Augustsson Member Posts: 3
    I want to install VesselView Mobile on my Rinker 330 Festa Vee 1999. The engines is 6.2 MPI Horizon from 2005. I have two engines and two SC1000 tachometers. How can I install this and still have my SC1000 working. Shall i use two "4" ports junction Box and some "Y" cable? Most of the installation that shows on the internet is against one engine.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @Mats_Augustsson  This is a long thread.  If you go through it you will find talk about setting up twins and the parts needed.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    A dual engine setup will have two jboxes each I believe with an open port. So connecting the tachs should not be a problem. 
  • Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Mats,

IF you already have two System Tachs, you may already have two Junction boxes under the helm that the Tach gauge harnesses plugs into?  You would just be able to plug into either J-box with your VV Mobile module.  If not then there are some prior posts with the exact two J-box architecture you would need to utilize.

Wally
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Good to see Wally still monitoring this.  This app is awesome and is my go to for engine information everytime i go out....
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    It is great to see Wally still around!!  You guys at Mercury are fantastic!  Wally, if you happen to know Mike Anthony, give him a huge thank you for working so hard getting my boat running!  I have the upmost respect for those at Mercury and know you guys are very dedicated to making a great product and backing it up!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Hey guys. Can anyone point me in a direction to see if my engines are compatible with vesselview or know off hand. 2003 5.0 mpi merc's

Serial number om628917 and om634239. 
    Anthony Price 
    The Price is Right
    MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Yes they are. I have 2002s and they are also
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    @aprice , they definitely are compatible.  I used to have the 2002 MPIs as well and connected up to them.  Was the best thing you could do.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Hawk600Hawk600 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    I'm assuming a 1998 Mercruiser 7.4 MPI is tool old? Everything I read says it is but just want to confirm.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Call Mercury Marine and give them your serial number.  Easy and fast.
    920-929-5040 
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    Hey Wally.. if we are having issues with our device, who do we contact?

I finally got to taking the boat out this season.  My VV mobile doesn't "connect" to either of my devices (tablet or phone).  When "scanning for device", nothing shows up.  The VV module has a single light on when the engine is running (green I think).  Everything worked perfect before the winter.

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that there was an update on the app. I was able to block the 3 fault codes that the engine was showing on my app. It was nice to not have the faults show up when I started the app this weekend. The ones that I was getting were related to equipment that I don't have connected to the smartcraft system.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For you guys who put this in on a twin engine, did you use an extension between the dual engine adapter and the blue tooth unit?  Or did you just use long CAN data harness cables?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Okay, I bought the vesselview mobile module, for my '03 232 350 MAG. I asked the dealer if my boat was compatible, and told him the boat has the SmartCraft logo on the air cleaner cover. He said it's compatible. I tried giving him the serial number, but he assure me that it would work. I can not for the life of me find anywhere to plug into into, so I'm curious if anyone hasn't any information on this?  Most things I see say all engines over 40 HP, '03 and up. I've found various plugs, one of them with a purple cap, even, but none connect to the plug. Are all "SmartCraft engines" compatible?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Nevernind. Think I got it. I'm just a moron.....
  • Options
    I just though I figured it out. When I try to connect to the module, it tells me the initial setup failed, and I can't get it to connect. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Wally said:
    All,

I have the second group of 10 testers listed out.  I expect to ship that group of modules out the week of Sep 6th (after Labor Day) IF the first group provides good feedback.  IF you have questions that can't get resolved through the forum, feel free to email me and I will asnswer as I get to them (and feel free to post back on the forum what each of you learn along the way).

A few tidbits from the call today:  
    • IF you install the module on the engine (applicable to single engine vessels only), you must place a termination resistor in the extra Y hanging off the harness (typically need one at each end of the SmartCraft network but if this is the only device on your SmartCraft network, then it should work with just a single resistor, will not work without one).  The huge majority of engines have that yellow 10 pin termination resistor on the engine harness where you need to plug the VesselView Mobile module in, only hte very earliest engines had weather caps in place of that termination resistor
    • For fuel management info - you do not require a SmartCraft fuel level harness, we look at the fuel used by recording the length of time the injectors are open and accumulating that volume.  As long as you tell us when you add fuel and how much, your app fuel management will be more accurate than any other fuel level indication (analog or SmartCraft).  That being said, IF you do have SmartCraft instruments, highly recomend using the tank levels available on the engines (you will need the specific boat harness for your engine) in addition to the app jsut becasue the SmartCraft data set to your gauge or display makes better sense when you have that info available.
    • Finally, for those of you with dual engine applications (the majority I think), you will need to get a Mercury dealer to change your port engine CityID from STBD to PORT when you get your SmartCraft network installed (which is really easy, as long as you have the right parts for your application - easiest thing to do is tell you dealer what you are trying to do and order parts through him).  First and foremost, you need to determine if your helm harnessing is using the Mercury 14 pin data cables (our current architecture) - if so, then adding in the necessary parts is very straight forward; two junction boxes, a 2 pin CAN link (pull the blue CAN P termination resistors and install the link between port and stbd sides at the helm) and a dual engine instrument adapter (you could go with just a single junction box and omit the dual engine isntrument adapter but just realize you always need that side's key on to get the module to turn on).  IF you have the older 10 pin engine plug (prior to our 14 pin architecture), then you would run blue data cables from the engines to the helm and use a 10 pin CAN link between junction boxes in place of the 2 pin CAN link mentioned above.  We have numerous versions and lengths of the blue data cables, you want the ones with a single termination resistor (the bright yellow band on one end) which needs to be at the engine end (terminate at the furthest ends of the network and in the case of a dual engien application, that is the engines).
    There is always a boat application that doesn't fit the norm but if you can't get it resolved, email me and we'll figure it out.  Appreciate everyone's assistance with the beta testing and am very much looking forward to all your feedback (electronic surveys going out very soon, that is the primary path to provide feedback OR you can send to my email address or the one listed in the beta sign up process).  The sky is the limit on the feedback, just realize this is only a BT module and is only on when your engine key(s) are on, so telematics in the normal sense are not possible at this level of hardware.  The primary target for this hardware is the 40-150 HP singel engine application with analog gauges BUT we do know there will be a large number of folks that will want it regardless of what gauge or display set they may already have on board.  

Finally, for those of you who did not make the beta test list, I can tell you we are planning to try to release this for ship/sale Oct 31st (depending on how well the beta testing goes) in time for the Christmas season at an MSRP of $275.  We plan to be able to make the module available for purchase through the app as well as your Mercury Marine dealer.  Stay safe and have fun!

Wally

So according to this, I need a yellow terminator in the other side of the module harness, and the black and purple cap I took off of the boat harness plug won't work????  Has to be a yellow one?? This could be my problem. Where do I acquire one of these?????  The Smartcraft light on the module never illuminates for me. Anyone happen to have a part number for this yellow terminator?
    Post edited by 69fastback on
  • Options
    You're awesome man. Thanks. Is it safe to assume that's my problem? I can't even get the SmartCraft light to illuminate. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say so...you need that termination cap for it to work.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it was my experience when using the harness to connect some other devices - if you did not use the OEM terminating caps the harness would not work. We discussed this a couple of years ago?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Yes, I'm seeing some talk of it in here, which is how I'm determining what the issue is. The thread is long, so I didn't read it before I installed, because the install seemed easy, which it is, if you have all the required parts :)

this is the cap that was on my factory harness plug. Obviously not yellow. Is it just a weather protection cap?  I'll be calling around locally today, looking for the yellow one, but don't have high hopes of finding it. We will see.