Options

Super Cool New Mercury App.

Comments

• Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Wally said:
    All,

Have had some folks ask how they should provide feedback on the app.  Here is the preferred order of the various methods available:

1. Via the email surveys (about every week or so, first one just went out yesterday)

2. email support_vvm@mercmarine.com

3. email walter.ross@mercmarine.com

Thanks!

Wally

Hey @Wally,

For some reason I DID NOT receive any type of email survey for the app/module yesterday.  I have been simply submitting feedback via the feedback button on the app itself.  If that isn't active I can copy and paste into an email to you directly.

Eric Larson

• Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    All,

I have two spots open in the second round of beta testers.  Based on what you have seen thus far and some of the potential growing pains, make certain you want to bite this off before you sign up.  Get me two good testers with your SNs and shipping addresses (email me your info) and I will ship out the entire second group tomorrow (rather than wait til next week).  We are already getting some very good feedback from the first group so I want to continue that trend.  

As a reminder, please play with the app for a solid week before you respond to the first email survey, want it to sink in before you respond with issues and ideas!  Appreciate everyone's assistance!

Wally

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    I guess I might have spent a bit of time sitting on the boat listening to music ...
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea, you have broad shoulders.... you can take it! ;-)
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    For us older boats has anyone asked Wally if Mercury will give us a break on the expense of the harnesses we have to connect?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    LaRea, funny story about that.  First weekend I bought the 400.  It was Memorial day weekend, boat was still on the hard (just delivered on truck Thursday) and was cleaning.  So, I had her plugged into shore power and music playing all weekend. I didn't know about the thump on the tach to get the hour meter to stop...must've added 15-20 hours on the port engine!  LOL!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    All,

The final two spots have been filled, plan to ship all 10 units today for the second group IF I can get a phone number for one of the international testers (required for the UPS shipment).  Appreciate your help and patience!

Wally
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Just curious.. related to my previous post, has anybody found fuel flow rates or any "pressures" (oil pressure, coolant pressure, etc.) yet?  The "Avg. MPG", " Miles till empty", "Time till empty" and "gallons remaining" are nice, but any actual flow data?

Mine is still working great!  No crashes or issues what so ever.  Put a bit under 10 hours on the unit so far.  No issues with the app on either my S6 Edge Plus or my Nexus 7 (2013).

One suggestion.. that is REALLY bugging me... MAKE THE SCREEN ROTATE!! LOL  It would be great to be able to view the app in "Landscape" view and not just "portrait" view.  I have to have my tablet turned to Landscape view or else it falls out of the holder and it blocks so of my other gauges.

I also have not received a survey or anything yet.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Mike_G If you don't have your fuel sender tied into the smartcraft drop on the engine then you will not get your fuel burn or fuel level. The harness is like $25 and is great to have. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    @jme097, that is not correct.  You will still get fuel burn, just not fuel levels.  I do not have it tied in to my fuel tanks but I still get fuel burn on my VV.

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn I misspoke I apologize! Too much to eat at lunch...
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    Yes.. I manually entered the amount of fuel I have on board.  That's how I am getting the "miles to empty" and "time to empty" stats.

@Dream_Inn What are you "clicking" on to see fuel burn?  I spent quite a while playing around and can't find it (other than "avg. MPG" and "gallons used") -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Wally Said previously in the comments, fuel burn or fuel flow is calculated thru the injectors.
  • Options

Island, you are correct.  It is a calculated number, but very accurate. 

@Mike_G , I'm using vesselview right now, but I made it on the list to play with this app so I can help out and try to figure some of these items as well.  There is no reason you should not be getting fuel burn.  I'm hoping this weekend I can get it and set it up.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    The current version does not display fuel burn (GPH).  It displays MPG, which is calculated from fuel burn.  I'd prefer to see it display GPH per engine, as well as instantaneous and averaged MPG. 
  • Options
    All,

Keep the conversations going and definitely send through feedback.  In the current state, the app does not show fuel usage in GPH (IMHO it should be an option for the user to select which units to see, MPG or GPH).

Some of you have stated you have not seen the survey yet and I am looking into that.

Wally

• Options
    Yeti_or_KnotYeti_or_Knot Member Posts: 1
    Wally, 
    I just found this forum and as typical, I'm a day or two late to get in on your offer (2004, twin 496's) however, Since I seemed to have missed the beta test, do you have an idea when this may become available to those of us who seem to miss the good deals by the narrowest of margins?

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Put my terminator plug on now I'm up and running!!!
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @skennelly, yes, as I mentioned a long time ago on the forum those terminator resistors are very important and if not installed, can prevent the harness from running! Happened to me two years ago, tech argued, he was wrong, I got terminator and away we went!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After running the app a few times, I noticed some interesting things... One, my engine at WOT is running at 4650RPM. The analog tach shows 5500RPM. My temperature is rock solid 160* on the app and the analog gauge shows 175*. So far I am liking the app.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Greg it's going to change the data streams for almost everyone running analogue gauges unless they had very high-end ones.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Greg it's going to change the data streams for almost everyone running analogue gauges unless they had very high-end ones.
    Are you saying that installing this makes the gauge not accurate or that the app is more accurate then gauges even without it installed. 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Michael T said:
    Are you saying that installing this makes the gauge not accurate or that the app is more accurate then gauges even without it installed. 
    The mobile module will be much more accurate than standard analog gauges. 

I was out this evening finally.  Module indicates 4.7 hours less than gauge at the helm. RPM gauge off by 900 rpm compare to module.  
  • Options
    Yes, @elarson5757 nailed it. My Mercury Vessel View 7 with 2015 up-date was used by a number of my boating friends to check their MPH readings. It was accurate when compared with two other GPS units within .5MPH.... Most of the analogue speedos were off 2-5 MPH at cruise (+/- 34 mph) and up to 10 MPH at many friends' boats upper ends as the analogue gauges tend to get "happy" at the upper end, hence many guys saying they have a 50, 55 or 60 MPH boat when they are off (minus) 5-10 MPH. You guys will love the new modules and I bet Mercury will offer up-dates once the testing and reviewing is over. It was super easy for me to up-date my  V V 7. I used my dealer's code, went into Mercury, downloaded the new data to a FD and then imported it into my V V 7...have a great time guys!
  • Options
    Man I could not get the module to stay connected yesterday to my phone to save my life.  Long term Id have to get an extension cable and run it up to the helm.  That said I never had issues the prior weekends either. 

Can an someone explain the details the app is telling me on fuel use, etc and the buttons that are provided for calibration of fuel, logging fuel, etc
  • Options
    ShelbyShelby Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Anyone have any pictures of their install?  It would greatly be appreciated by those who have yet to get theirs, especially on dual engine installs.  No DTS or any other digital monitors or gauges.  Thanks. Shelby
    2005 320  Twin 350 Mags MPI  Bravo III  Lake Cumberland, KY.
  • Options
    NygrooveNygroove Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Here are some pics of my install 2003 FV290 5.0l 2 CAN cables with resistor on end 1 Juction box(can only be keyed on by 1 engine) Had cityid changed to Port on motor 155.00 in parts.
  • Options
    I'm with you Shelby. Have a 2004 342 Twin 350 MPI.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    So far so good on mine. The app could use some back buttons. It would be nice to see a digital tach needle of some sort as well. Also it doesn't appear oil pressure is shown which is a bummer. Lastly I have fault codes that continue to pop up which are not relevant to my engine setup. Which is fine except that it should not repeatedly pop up while underway. It freaked me out a few times as I thought I had some new codes thrown but really it was just the same irrelevant codes. 
    I love the accuracy of these things. My engine hours were off by 8 hours on one engine and it's nice to actually see real tach readings. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    The fuel data has me wondering though. I did not connect my fuel tank harness yet so I manually put in the gallons after fill up. The mpg and gallons to empty seem off. It's hard to believe it's being calculated off of injector feedback. i didn't see much different info no matter where I pegged the throttles.