Options

Super Cool New Mercury App.

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I placed order for the termination resistor....try again next weekend.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,623 mod
    There are two reasons why my install was so easy:  (1) The boat has DTS, so it already has a junction box at the helm.  (2) I have two MercMonitors, and I already used them to program one engine as port and the other as stbd.  
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have pics of their connections with twin engines? Does anyone have pics that had to connect smartcraft CAN, Jboxes etc?
  • Options
    Is this the plug everyone is taking about?

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I still don't have the app. Ugh!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jme097 said:
    I still don't have the app. Ugh!
    Neither do I... Grr...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @onislandtime - nope, that looks like one of the auxiliary sensor plugs on the transom harness.  
  • Options
    I emailed Wally and he seemed to be shocked that I still have not received the access to the app. Mercury seems to have a performance issue lol
  • Options
    jme097 said:
    I emailed Wally and he seemed to be shocked that I still have not received the access to the app. Mercury seems to have a performance issue lol
    I guess I will have to reach out to him again. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,469 admin
    Wally has been great very responsive. However with my boat being older and I do not know much about VV I am finding this to be a real PITA not to mention that the cables and J boxes are about  $350. Not much merc support around here for that at this time of the season.  I am kind of sorry I got involved but would still love to have it....lol 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang in there Ray. This is supposed to be a trial run to get the bugs out...and I think the bugs are emerging and hopefully getting swatted! I'm sure these is hope for your ride, maybe some growing pains with this new add-on but hope!
  • Options
    MT I cannot find the connector for/with the yellow resistor to save my life. It's not easy to access this on my boat. It's getting very frustrating. Thank you for the encouragement. BTW Wally has been great.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @raybo3 - What engine you running?  On my 350 mag mpi the plug was location towards the stern of the engine just behind or close to the distributor cap.  Mine had a greenish weather cap on it.

whoops...just realized you have a totally different boat.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @skennelly I saw on just like that and it was a tank level plug. I think I am having a hard time because my boat is a little older. Its a 2002 342FV with 5.7 mags. 
  • Options
    Ray at 14 years young your "baby" might be at the limits of this technology's ability to interface with her.
  • Options
    raybo3 - I'm yet to get mine working too...I'm a 2002 as well, but the engines might actually be 2003 model????.  Wally said my serial number would work.  Guess I'll see after I get the yellow terminator plug this week.  After that I dunno how far I'll go to try and make this work.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I just got the app after an email to Wally. I will have to run by the boat tomorrow and check things out.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Ray,

I sent you an email with all the parts you need.  You have the weather cap in place of the termination resistor (as stated in an earlier post, the early engines came with weather caps, not termination resistors)

A single engine boat can install the VesselView Module in the engine compartment/under the cowl but with a multi-engine boat, it is best to install the VesselView Module at the helm, especially if pre-existing SmartCraft architecture is not already installed.

Wally
  • Options
    Wally, your efforts on this issue are why I have been a lifelong Mercury client! Beautifully done! I am sure the guys appreciate the depth of your efforts!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,591 mod

Wally, as MT stated, your efforts are much appreciated!  I know you've spoken with a very close friend of mine here in the Annapolis area (Glen).  Hopefully he's able to help you out as well.  Between him and I, I think we've been in half the engine rooms in our marina LOL!

Raybo, I was able to connect on my old 2002 310.  It is definitely in there around the aft side of the engine as others have said. I know on my old boat it was really down in there under stuff and I believe it was just all black, so very difficult to see.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    If anyone has a 04 342 or close to it with twin 350 MPI, I would love for you to walk me thru wiring the system.
  • Options
    A bit of prep for when you get it up and running:

Please don't expect VVM to replicate all of the functionality that you've seen in the full VesselView installation.  As Wally hinted, the target audience for VVM seems to be single-engine boats.  The focus is on basic functionality that can be implemented on a small screen.  It works with multiple engines, but if you want tons of detail for a complex multi-engine setup, you should probably invest in VesselView.  

One thing I do really like is the maintenance log.  For example, if I tell the app that I just changed the serpentine belt, it will remind me to check the belt after 100 engine hours.  
  • Options
    Got the app yesterday as well. Headed to the boat Thursday so get the module up and running. I agree with MT, DI and LaRea that Wally has been great through the whole thing and very responsive as well!
  • Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    All,

Have had some folks ask how they should provide feedback on the app.  Here is the preferred order of the various methods available:

1. Via the email surveys (about every week or so, first one just went out yesterday)

2. email support_vvm@mercmarine.com

3. email walter.ross@mercmarine.com

Thanks!

Wally

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I just received all my harnesses to rig my dual engine setup.  As long as i can get my mechanic to change my City ID on the port engine i should be rigged and testing by Thursday.  Looking forward to getting the power out of this app.  I came back from a long weekend this morning, and my port fuel gauge just stopped working.  I'll replace it eventually but good timing none the less as i'll have much more accurate info from VV.
  • Options
    I got the app last night and fired up the boat this morning. App found the VVM unit and started giving me information right away. Saw that my engine hours via the app and the tach are off by 2 hours. The ECM is throwing 3 faults on me, #75, #94 and #130. I believe that these are for items that are not connected to the smartcraft system. Seems to be a cool app, although it crashed a few times. Work in progress...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Even the full jam Vessel View can be a bit ornery at times....ghost codes that need to be erased so that they do not trigger engine guardian etc....but as you say some growing pains....but IMO an amazing system. I had the 2013 and 2014 versions on my EC 310 and EC 360 and up-dated the one on the 360 to 2015 standards via the Mercury up-grade app. Patience, patience, patience!
  • Options
    I assume they'll add descriptions to the engine fault codes at some point.  

@Cableguy Greg - Right, those faults are all sensors that are not connected to SmartCraft on your boat:

75 = fuel tank level sensor
    94 = pitot speed sensor
    130 = outdrive trim position sensor

The hour meters on my Faria tachs are wrong by 2 hours and 125 hours.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,591 mod
    @LaRea, I had to chuckle about the 125 hours!  I bet that is the side that the radio works off of?  how would I know!  LOL!  I do like see the hours on my VV since they are so far off on the Faria gauges.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    When I installed my MercMonitor in April my engine hours were off by 25 hours or so. LOL not as bad as the 125