Options

Another Transom leak

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod

Thanks reneechris!  I'll check into it, but I'm not sure I like the idea of using different impellers.  I have a handful of spares right now and it's always nice having the same spares as everyone on the dock. 

Handy, I actually do other things than wait on here all the time (I know, my wife even thinks I'm on here all the time).  As far as Trump, well that's another whole topic, LOL! But I know what I'm working on is going for a good 10 more years, which is plenty if need be!  I am very interested in this $169 piece.  Much cheaper than the $2k+ one for the entire transom assembly.  At this point, it is hard to know what I need until it is pulled apart.  I am definitely liking the idea though to just change out both couplers as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I keep reading more about this Hardin pump, and I know it was talked about a lot on here as well.  It's $425 at MichiganMotorz ($420 at Hardin), which is much cheaper than a new OEM pump.  Enough to pay for a few impellers for it.  Another question on it.  I vaguely remember someone talking about having to use different size bolts?  Is this true?  Is it the mounting bolt?  I should've went with this one 2 years ago on my other engine.  If I go with it now on the port, I'll have two different styles going requiring two different impellers.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw the bracket on Ebay for $85
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I just saw the bracket on Ebay for $85

Ok, what is the part number?  Is it Bravo Gimbal Housing Transom Assembly Inner Plate 44117A8

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    Hi Dream, relative to your question about the Hardin pump...it uses the OEM mounting bracket.
  • Options
    wm61356 said:
    Hi Dream, relative to your question about the Hardin pump...it uses the OEM mounting bracket.

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if any of the hardware was different.  I think it was when you put the plates in on the OEM one, it shifts it around a bit and you have to use different hardware.  It would make sense that the hardin one would not need it cause it would always account for the plates.

• Options

Al found this for $105
  • Options
    Available at Nu Wave Marine and that included shipping Al said. 

https://nuwavemarinesupply.com/
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Hardin swears the pump uses the standard merc impelleron their pumps. My starboard side seawater pump is being replaced with Hardin Part Number: 625-4102 this spring on my 342.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's standard mercuiser impeller just earlier year.one flat side now two.every parts place has them.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    think you can see in first pic,newer has two flat spots
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream, where the heck are you?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I get on this part that one is any better than the other. They both spin the same part around! Like the look of that hardin pump for sure. I have mentioned when my pump body (brass) became worn, I got the kit with the plate and the shorter impeller and seems to be fine...100 bucks.
  • Options
    So, @reneechris14 what part number are you using with your hardin pump?  I'll just buy an extra when I buy the hardin pump this week.  Then I will know I have a spare for it and not worry if the ones I have will work as a spare (I'll just use them with the stbd pump, since I won't be changing it anytime soon - it's less than 2 years old)

• Options

Al found this for $105
    Did you see this Dream?
  • Options
    yes Handy, I've seen those online when I was looking thru all the transom stuff.  I guess first is that they need to see what is causing my leak. Then we'll get to the details of the parts needed.  I also need to weigh out if it's worth just going all new in there anyway.  Especially after paying labor to take it all apart.

• Options

@alswagg what do you mean exactly by foam seal?  Is it a spray?  I will make sure 4200 is used.  Also, do you typically recommend changing the entire assembly?  Or is it case by case?  thanks Al!

• Options
    Nothing wrong with your housing. Stop freaking out. Lol
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The bracket comes with. A foam gasket
  • Options
    Thanks Al!

• Options

@Mercury2005 for taking this picture of the ole girl in the shop.  I got a phone call today that she went in yesterday and they pulled the cover down off the aft and hardtop (yep, she'll go straight in the water when they're done - probably the end of this week).  As you can see both drives are off.  I said to go ahead and replace both complete transom assemblies!  Everything will basically be all new at this point, since both drives have been replaced with OEM in the last 2 years as well. 

A big storm came thru the area today, so glad she is sitting inside!  I'll get down there Tue or Wed and clean the bilge while the engines are out.  I guess I need to get my isinglass out for this coming weekend!

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in Annapolis MD a few times a year for the past few years... staying over at my bosses place which was right across from the Naval Academy... sadly he sold his condo just a few months ago...had a really good breakfast there at some famous place.  
  • Options
    @j3ff I bet the breakfast was at Chick and Ruth's!  Great place, still has that retro look (actually orange booths from way back when)  If you are ever here again, look me up for a ride and a drink!

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    haha, yes, that's it, just looked through my pics on my phone...

2nd pic is from the condo...which is now sold :( 
  • Options
    So, I made it down to the boat today.  Drives are off.  They had to actually sawzaw off 3 of the bolts between the two drives.  Wondering if it's because of "dipping" the boat in and out with the lift.  I do try to wash off the bottom and the drives each time I put the boat back on the lift.  Sure was nice being on the boat.  Cover is completely off and isinglass is on.  Ready to go when they get everything done!

• Options
    Did they find the cause yet?
  • Options
    Should be removing the transom plates tomorrow.  Only the drives are off right now.  I am curious if there is a high spot like what you had.  I feel like I'm going overboard getting everything replaced, but it's all close to 10 years old.  Time spent messing with it instead of just replacing and also knowing it's all new makes it worth it. (that's what I'm telling myself)

• Options
    Cant go wrong with PM work. Thats why mine never break down LOL
  • Options
    Dream, make sure your trim limits and indicators are all adjusted correctly when the drives go back on and watch them work. There is an adjustment procedure. Also make sure the Speedo works if you use it
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Mine does not even have a speedo! :)  & yes, it'll have all new trim limit switches, which is good cause the stbd side was giving me issues again last year (seems to go every other year).  I just have a hard time believing that 3 of the total 12 bolts that hold the two drives on were seized so bad they had to cut them off!  he said they will put never seize on them.  Hopefully it helps.  The one drive was brand new last year and the other less than two years ago.  Hard to believe in less than a year that the bolts could seize up.  Was it @212rowboat that had the same issue getting his drives off?