Options

Another Transom leak

Comments

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    Dream, just a quick question for you.  Are you on a lift?  if not, I wouldn't use that pump and drain the blocks in the water.  A friend did that a few years ago on his crownline 266 at the end of the days.  He stored in a hi/dry rack at that time.  He came in after hours so it stayed tied up at the dock overnight.  next morning it was on the bottom.
    they told him to never use that little blue pump while in the water, bc the lower drain is below the waterline.  once he opened it, it never closed fully and leaked thru the night and eventually drained the battery due to the bilge running. 
    I had never heard that anywhere else, but figured I would throw it out there.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Handy when is the last time your boat actually moved????????? Just say'n......
    What's it to you bub
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Ok I will tell you. Your over there telling everyone how great the weather is and its in the 80's. Well it seems to me that you use your boat just as much as we do in the winter. Zero!!! So dont really care that its in the 80's over there your still not boating..............LMFAO. There you go "bub"....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    @summerx , thanks.  I do know what you are speaking about.  If you do not regularly use the hand pump, it could give you issues and not seal correctly.  Had this happen last year to a dock neighbor, but got it to seal in time.  Mine is stored on a lift and I do use the hand pump regularly.  Should work out fine.  But, you do make a good point and something that people need to check after using.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3 said:
    Ok I will tell you. Your over there telling everyone how great the weather is and its in the 80's. Well it seems to me that you use your boat just as much as we do in the winter. Zero!!! So dont really care that its in the 80's over there your still not boating..............LMFAO. There you go "bub"....
    I use it as time permits
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy you should have gave a better answer, now we know !
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good comments on the pump dream and summer. Glad I read this and know to watch out for that as I use the pump. Thanks. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    raybo3 said:
    But, I can chill at the pool or go to the beach or eat outside at a nice sidewalk cafe or go boating. What are you doing up there? Playing switch? LMFAO!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    But, I can chill at the pool or go to the beach or eat outside at a nice sidewalk cafe or go boating. What are you doing up there? Playing switch? LMFAO!
    But it takes you a week or more to take a picture of your AC panel lights when the boat is in your back yard. LOL :p
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    But it takes you a week or more to take a picture of your AC panel lights when the boat is in your back yard. LOL :p
    Im on island time 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    You use it as time permits...........Hmmm Handy you need to retire.......LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    You use it as time permits...........Hmmm Handy you need to retire.......LOL
    No POOP Bro
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Now that's a pro drinker!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wearer is great here in fl for sure but depending on your financial status, we all have different amounts we can devote to our past time- holidays, weather is grew but who has the time? Kids or grandkids in sports, plays etc...we get out on the boat at least once a month, towards the summer two times but that's about as good as it gets and can afford. I like to do bike week and other events here in the area as well- wintertime is lots of festivals so its all a balance act. Throw in visiting elderly relatives, its a wonder I have any time for boating but I make time!
  • Options
    Oh man! You FL boaters!  I guarantee most of us Northerners use our boats a lot more! I have 28 days/nights vacation planned on the boat this summer.  This doesn't count all the normal weekends (which start, well, this weekend! - ok, I'm not planning sleeping on the boat this weekend, but I was this time last year).  The problem is, you guys don't have the cold weather take you away from the boat, so you don't appreciate the nice weather you have to enjoy it!

• Options
    there is a lot to that dream- there is so much to do all year long outside- I understand up north you may have skiing and snowmobiles...plus, the only way I can get my wife to stay on the boat over night is at a marina! Working on that...and the other thing is access to water you feel safe swimming in. I live near a beautiful river in central Florida that runs all the way to Jacksonville and out to the ocean or down the intercoastal system- when you see a 13' gator getting pulled out of the water, you sure re think your swimming choices. There are places you can and water skiers are out there in the middle but along the banks, well either your a gator or gator food!  Your lakes and rivers up north are much safer to actually hang out in the water- over on the intercoastal you have the sand bars and such but that's a lot of trip for one day in the water- when I have more time off, that will be where I go if not live one day....especially south east and south west areas like where Handy is at..
  • Options

@rasbury I hear ya!  Just Razzing you a bit! :)  (like you do with your winterization technique).  I'm very fortunate that my wife and children love spending time on the boat.  My kids never really had a choice, but they've grown (or are growing) up with it.  For us, it didn't matter the size boat we had, we just spent as many nights as we could on it!  I will say, on our 24' that we had, we did almost all marinas.  So, the size boat did matter as far as anchoring out for us overnight.  Also not having a generator had a ton to do with that. 

I never gave it much thought about watching were to swim (for you guys with the gators).  Around here it's more just waiting for water to warm up enough and I guess the clarity of the water (i.e. not swimming in it near Baltimore).  We hang out in the water almost non-stop in the summer.  But your water is so much clearer down there.  For the small amount of boating I've done in FL (mostly cape coral/Sanibel area), we never thought about gators.  It was just beautiful sand and water there!

FYI, I'll be coming thru FL in 4 weeks!  Drive right down 95, leaving on a Friday afternoon and ultimately to FLL.  Gonna stop Saturday somewhere, maybe near Deerfield beach?  Still hadn't booked a hotel for that day yet.

• Options
    @Dream_Inn on the coast- yes, lot's of clear water and sandbars....the St. Johns River which is lined with cypress, it's like swimming in tea- you can see a thing! Of course, the gators can't either but they can hear real well. You seldom here about someone attacked, very rare but I sure don't want to be that one.....usually, if you stay out of the weeds, don't end up in a nesting area and find a sandy area on a curve your good- water level goes up and down a few feet so that nice bank you pull up to can be underwater at times. Safety is in numbers and there are spots where folks hang out and I'll jump right in with them but there are some mighty lonely remote stretches there is no way I'd get in and that is where I'd want to anchor for the night. An oh, I have a generator and why I wanted one, just got to get the wife aboard for it. We did get the full camper enclosure  this past summer and that changed the attitude for both of us. She said she would get tired of just hanging out on the boat and I guess I have to pick my battles or get enough alcohol in and then drop it on her! It's not like you have to spend 24 or 48 hours just sitting there....and once we have more time, we will get over to the coast which is only about 45 minutes from my house to splash. I have worked and worked on the trailer and I think getting close to having something I can run with but have torn up the tires so still have work to do. I bet you can rent a boat around the Deer Field Beach area, have not been down that far south on the east coast on the water.....but from You Tubes I have seen around the area, pretty nice! You will see an exit off 95 for Sanford which is where I live, give us a wave when you drive by!

PS- there are also salt water alligators as well and have seem them on the beach!

Have a good trip!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping to pull my shrink this weekend but now they're talking a major noreaster early next week. Great...  Good news on the flat transom Dream. 
  • Options

Thanks Al.  A couple years ago when they replaced one of my drives and ended up replacing gimbal and other parts they mentioned about using stainless.  I didn't realize until you said it that it must've been Sea Core parts.  I just thought it was a SS version of the part.  Good to know.

@alswagg have you changed out a lot of Merc fuel cooler pumps?  I just can't believe I had to go thru this again, but at least it didn't happen in the middle of the summer and I was stuck somewhere.

• Options
    Wow, how is it then that I've had it happen twice!!?  The paint inside actually flakes off.  I can't believe more people on here haven't had this issue.  oh well, I should be good to go now.

• Options
    Another issue I don't have to worry about LOL
  • Options

Just those fuel filters!

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:

Just those fuel filters!
    Easy
  • Options
    Yes, actually have little pieces of black paint in the regulator.  I have been changing the filters every other year.  I know it probably should be each year?  Still, I know others that go longer on the filters with no issues at all.  But, there is definitely paint flaking off.

• Options
    No cool fuel on mine....have seen several issues on line with the problems...this site and others and then i figured out I didn't have it...
  • Options

Yeah, it was added at some point because of vapor lock.

My boat was able to stay in the shop thru the weekend and this upcoming storm :)  I'm sure a happy man about it!

• Options

Well, I thought I should come back to this topic and give some update since the last time.  Most of you have heard the ongoing BOAT units going out the door.  Added to all of the items that was scheduled to be done, well, is fuel pump coolers, injectors, spark plugs, now two new props because of spun hubs (luckily I had spares, but now need to buy two more).  4 new batteries that I bought were installed.  Added to that today is an isolator.  Having some electrical issues now that doesn't seem right.  I'm wondering if some of this has stemmed from batteries going dead over the winter two times.  Nobody to blame, but I shouldn't have depended on leaving the boat plugged into power on shore.  I had planned on replacing batteries anyway, but maybe running it with these batteries caused more problems? 

Well, they are looking more tomorrow into the possibility of misfire.  I'd sure like to take her home tomorrow.  Supposed to be 72 degrees this Saturday.  & to think I haven't had a drink in over 3 weeks!! Ugggh!  Why did I say I wouldn't drink during lent??  (or, well until vacation which is last week of lent).

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bummer that you are hitting these hurdles but at least you are in a good shop and it is only March, plenty of time for it to all shake out and plenty of cold ones await! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)