Options

Another Transom leak

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Yeah, good point Liberty.  I need to keep my head up, won't be long.  I just got off the phone with the shop.  Unfortunately the part they were hoping to get to connect up to their computer didn't arrive today, so gonna have to wait till Monday at this point (possibly tomorrow, depending on FedEx).  It's gotta be something simple.  What bothers me is she ran absolutely perfect last fall on my way in to the shop.  Actually had her purring across calm water at 45mph!!  I even said to myself why am I taking her to a shop? 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream:  the Hardin pump uses the 'old' Mercury impeller.  The hub only has one driving flat.  My 2003 350MAGs had the newer type with dual flats originally.  Al mentioned on here some time ago the single drive flats seemed to work better (hub didn't wear/spin).  Both of my original pump housings had worn and the Hardin with the wear plates was a no brainer.  Just too bad you can't see the SS pump on mine!  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, I can't say I even looked at the hubs! :)  I was more concerned looking at the difference in diameter.  I'll have to take a peek at them.  I just want to see if they are the same as what my other pump uses, but at this point it's not a big deal if they are different, just keep more spares.

• Options

Well, I got down to the boat today.  Sounds like the big issue they are troubleshooting is a misfire at a specific rpm on cylinder #3.  Even the mercury rep was stumped, which I guess is hard to do.  We'll see how it goes this week.  It was nice just getting on the boat for a bit with her in the water.

I also got to meet another forum member.  @Mercury2005 Len, it was sure nice meeting you today.  Sorry, I was a bit frustrated, but things got all straightened out a bit later.  I was assured things will be taken care of.  I'll have to make sure we meet up on better terms anchored out having a couple cold ones this summer! :)

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy how things just seem to "stump" all the people who should know everything... isn't it?  Happens all the time. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God you gassers have a lot of problems. Lol
  • Options

Handy, honestly sometimes I think it's just pure luck.  My 310 I had for 7 years and the boat was never pulled out of the water the entire time for anything!  Kept her on the lift, did routine maintenance and that was it.  I know of a couple other boaters that do not much of anything to their boats, use it and abuse it, but no issues.  I also know of some with much worse luck than I have had lately and take extremely good care of maintaining their boats.

@j3ff you are certainly correct!  it sure does happen all the time.  I'd love to see what @alswagg would guess the problem is.  I'm thinking either something electrical or a fuel injector (since that was something that was changed out).

• Options

Well, still a lot of struggles with this problem.  It sounds like a hiccup about half way on plane, then everything is fine.  Again, computer is saying a misfire in cylinder #3.  They've sent a bunch of info to their Mercury rep and they couldn't find anything.  Looks like they have the Merc rep coming down to the boat tomorrow to really dig into this.  It's going on a couple weeks now with this one problem.  It's no fun going down and seeing what was my nice clean boat sitting in the weather not using her!  I leave tomorrow but sure hoping when I get back all will be fixed!

Recap on what was tried, new plugs, new fuel injectors (& swapped them as well), new plug wires and I believe coils are individual with each cyclinder (swapped them around as well).  Fuel coolers were changed out.  I just don't know, something fuel related? or electrical?

I'm surprised I didn't any ideas or guesses from @alswagg or @rowboat212

• Options
    Do a compression test on that cylinder
  • Options
    Do a compression test on that cylinder

Compression test and leak down was down on all 8 cylinders and all were very good numbers.

@Alswagg I will check on that one.  That is a very good question.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Thanks @Alswagg !   I just got back from a great vacation.  Looks like they made some headway with the boat.  The issue that looked like cylinder #3, is actually the flaps in the throttle body shutting down, like throttling down just for a moment.  It initially trips the knock sensor for cyclinder #3.  It's not any of the digital throttle or the ECM (all have been looked at), so today they are going to try a new engine wiring harness (Merc is bringing one to try, if not the problem I won't have to purchase).  This has definitely been a tough one to troubleshoot, but I'll give them credit.  The Merc Rep has never seen this issue before.  I have a feeling my dock buddy has the exact same problem with his boat as well.  If it's the harness, might have to look into the exact culprit.  I'll keep you all informed.  Hoping to have the boat back this Friday! :)

• Options
  • Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭

I went for a boat ride last night and I see you are still at the gas dock. Was it not the harness?

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Nope, not the harness.  They changed out a sensor last week (not sure which one), but it didn't help.  The Merc Rep that has been doing this type of work for 40 years says he hasn't seen anything like this.   They actually swapped the connections from the boat to the engines around between the engines.  Issue stayed with the engine.  The Merc Rep has been collecting data for the engineers to look at.  What a beautiful weekend!  & no boat still!!  I'm thinking it has to be a sensor...maybe a crankshaft position, or cam position sensor???

• Options
  • Options
    I wish I could fly Al out here honestly.  But, I gotta believe this Merc Rep knows what he's doing.  He's been in the industry as long as I've been in this world and seems pretty smart.  I just want to get this done!!!  I'm being patient because I know they are working on it daily and want it done as much as I do.

• Options
    What a weird problem. Its probably a ground issue
  • Options
    Grounding was one of the first things looked at (although I agree with you).  They removed the engine grounds and cleaned them up and reinstalled.  I am still thinking a sensor, but only so many things can affect throttle.

• Options
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn you are a whole lot more patient than I am.  I think if I were in your shoes I would of lost it by now.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @Dream_Inn you are a whole lot more patient than I am.  I think if I were in your shoes I would of lost it by now.

I just don't know what that would get me.  First off, I know they are working on it daily.  I also know the marina will work with me on the price and they already said that.  Also, I am very thankful Mercury is there even though my engines aren't under warranty.  At this point, I'm shocked and very pleased with Mercury's efforts. But, I am extremely frustrated as well.  The 80 degree weekend really got me going! (First time in 17 years of owning my own boat that I haven't had it in the water at least by April)

• Options
    The Merc tech was Mike Anthony.  & Al, you are correct, I'm in good hands.  The great news is, I received a phone call last night and they figured out the problem!!  The shift actuator was momentarily shifting into neutral.  Mike said he has never seen the actuator act as it did.  I have the upmost respect for Mike and those that helped him from Mercury (and especially those in Rhode River Marina)!  This was a challenge that they were going to fix no matter what.  I am also pleased that Mercury is giving me all the parts that they used to try to fix this issue (we're talking a few BOAT units).  I also know that Rhode River will work out their best deal on all this for me.  The new part should arrive on Wed and either Wed night or Thursday I'll be driving her home!! :)

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow glad they found it. who would ever expected that to be your problem.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭
    That's Great news.  Always happy to hear about companies that go the extra mile and don't give up.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear that they found it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks guys!  I've had many problems over many years of boating, but I knew they all could be fixed.  This one really had me wondering if I was going to start losing the best boating time and for how long.  It was one of those things that even made my stomach feel bad thinking about it.  (yes, I know it shouldn't)  Such a relief and that first drink on the boat is gonna be extra special this year!

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news!!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Wohoo!  Finally went for my first ride taking the boat back to her home slip last night!  Beautiful ride and a beautiful sound!  Sure felt good having her back.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Good for you DI and hope all is fixed for good now...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com