Options

Another Transom leak

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
     I'm no rich person.  I'm actually extremely frugal, and then spend on what we enjoy as a family.  
    You have 40 ft boat on a lift in your back yard.
    You convinced a bunch of guy to drive there boats (some over 80 miles )to hang out with you
    Your family will hang out with you for 10 day in 480 sqft.
    Your not rich just wealthy and I'm not talking $
    O and boat is name dream
    Post edited by reneechris14 on
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see dreams response to that. LOL
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    If you own a boat and are frugal that equals stingy and selfish to 97% of the world. Far from true but I'm not going to complain...
    Or your a republican...
  • Options
    Frugal.  I'll be the 1st to tell I can't afford boating I do all my own mantenance sometimes twice.but I love to burn fuel.it's funny we try to save 10 bucks doing some things,but will drop 200 at the fuel dock.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @reneechris14.......  I agree 100%  with you - dropping $$$$$ at the boat  dock  is supposed to extend that  life line on  your hand. It used to cost me 1K to fill-up the 360 and I could  burn that in a day at fast cruise and that was sooooo much fun! 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    edited March 2017

We do spend our money on the boat for sure.  As far as boat lift in my back yard, boy I wish I had it in my own back yard!  We've been fortunate that our kids have not known life without a boat.  I'll add though, I do almost all of my maintenance.  I could not afford to pay someone to do it all for me all the time.   Renee, I think you and are the same.  We used coupons for almost every single time we go out for dinner and to add to it I'll use gift cards that I saved money on top of it.  I have two teenagers, and well, my phone is paid for by work, and kids' and wife's phones are tracfones.  Just for the savings on those 3 phones, yearly it gives me 3 or 4 tanks of gas on the boat!  I have a Geothermal system at home that I bought way before anyone ever heard of them, knowing I'd save money.  But yet, I look for free wood on craigslist to get and split to burn to save money on heating (and keep things toasty!). I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

Back to the topic :)....well, I guess they tried to get a hold of me this week (been busy at work, so I didn't notice they called) and they actually cleaned everything up inside for me (I really wanted to check the couplers as well, but I know they're fairly new and I'm sure they checked them as well).  They got everything back together and took her out for a spin.  Well, now there were troubles with the stinkin' fuel coolers!!!!  Evidently the coating inside came loose and clogged injectors on both engines!!!  Most of you that have been around here for a bit, know my whole story with these things!  Both coolers are new and have been replaced just a few years ago.  Well, Merc is covering the parts for the coolers and the injectors.  It just bugs me that there are issues with them again.  I have no choice but to use ethanol fuel, that is all there is in my area. 

When I hear more about this I'll be posting more.  I'll also get info about the transom.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    And the fiberglass? Geeezzz Dream! You should have found out by now!
  • Options
    I hear you handy!  Problem is, they got it all back together already!  They had called my home phone (I never pay attention to it).  I'll be talking to them on Monday.  The owner had surgery yesterday so, I'll wait on calling his cell. He was trying to get all done for me before, and then they got this other issue.  No big deal since it's cold out this weekend anyhow! :)  They always do a great job and check every single thing out, so I'm not worried, knowing they did things correctly.

• Options
    I hope the checked the trim and trim senders. 
  • Options
    They never adjusted mine when they did the drives a year ago. I just adjusted them out today
  • Options
    I don't trust any marina now unless I see before it goes in the water
  • Options
    Handy, I'm sure they did.  Last time my boat was in and they replaced one of the drives, they adjusted the trim on the other drive because they noticed it was off.  & this time they will be all new, so I'm sure they'll adjust them as needed.  Pretty simple to adjust though, especially with a boat lift.

• Options
    Sounded like they were in a rush. I bet they didn't do it
  • Options
    No worries here.  Things have always been done well from them.  They'll go for a ride with me and make sure I'm happy.  If not, I'll pull back in right onto their haulout and they'll fix anything that needs done right there.

• Options
    Ok let us know what the Bill was
  • Options

So I got some updates.  The transom was completely smooth across both sides.  No cracks, no bumps, nada!  they ran a straight edge across it all.  They also used 4200 as Al stated they should, so I feel much better.  My couplers looked like new.  Rubber is good and spline/teeth are perfect (alignment has been great in the past & went smooth this time).  I had one exhaust shutter that needed replaced (I knew I burnt it out 2 years ago when my pump wouldn't prime due to wear).

Now they are just waiting final parts (fuel pump/cooler and fuel injectors) to install and check out one more time!  

Only thing that I'm not happy about is that 3 years ago Merc gave me the same crappy fuel pump/coolers with paint in them, so I had to go thru this crap twice!!  Good news is my mechanic thought it was a bit sluggish and got them to replace them and the injectors!  But I'll have to eat the labor.

I should be taking her home this Friday or Saturday! 

• Options
    Google deal dream best of luck
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Looks like Ray and I got the same transom sander man at the factory on a Monday LOL
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Looks like Ray and I go the same transom sander man at the factory on a Monday LOL
    Friday afternoon after a liquid lunch......LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Looks like Ray and I go the same transom sander man at the factory on a Monday LOL
    Friday afternoon after a liquid lunch......LOL
    I might need that liquid lunch this Friday after getting the boat back.  The forecast changed to a cooler, much cooler, weekend.  I'm not sure we'll be moving stuff on-board this weekend, partly cause I'm unsure if I should run the heat (or put water in the system to use the head).  Heck, I might even pull the blue engine plugs just to be safe.  I guess I'll see when it gets closer.  Water temp is in the 40's, so that should help.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news that it is all back together and went well! So no reason for the leak, likely a bad seal job from the get go?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big cold front is coming this weekend, best hold up on summarize.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Went from mid to upper 60's to 7* here and now maybe some snow this weekend. WTF.........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been a crazy winter. I was thinking of uncovering my boat, but that isn't going to happen. This weather has given me the itch to start doing things on the boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Still 80s here  RLMAO
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    A big cold front is coming this weekend, best hold up on summarize.

Well, I hear you.  But, my boat is already dewinterized (well, engines are) and uncovered.  So, when I get her back on Friday, I'll take her back to my slip and then I'll see what forecast is.  If I have to, I'll just use the hand pump on the engines and then pull the drain plugs to make sure all water is out.  Should be good enough.  I think there are two nights that may get into the 20's, but warmer during the day.  So no long freeze.  I'll take my portable electric heater (so I don't have to dewinterize AC/Heat).  This will allow me to clean and move some stuff in.

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you will be prepared. What was the rest of the story, on why you had the leak?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    Sounds like you will be prepared. What was the rest of the story, on why you had the leak?

Well, I haven't gotten down yet to look at the old transom assembly.  Probably was just the gasket leaking.  Almost ten years old, so it's possible.

• Options
    Handy when is the last time your boat actually moved????????? Just say'n......