Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My starboard drive needs adjustment. Maybe I can get 34 MPH after LOL
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    My starboard drive needs adjustment. Maybe I can get 34 MPH after LOL
    I doubt it.......LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok........... Lets try this........ Highly unlikely.......LMFAO
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Well, at least I dont cheat on my speed numbers. RLMAO
  • Options
    You move any slower and you will be going backwards..........LOL
  • Options
    Really Ray, really?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Ray,  always good for a laugh when you smoke  Steve's diesel  speed -  or lack thereof. Of course Steve's boat is a lot faster than mine.......wait a moment that's only because I no longer have one. Ha Ha. 
  • Options
    Dream, will they get to the fiberglass today?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Dream, will they get to the fiberglass today?

He's going to let me know when everything is removed (transom assemblies and engines).  I figure it'll be anytime today or another day or two.  I'll definitely take a look at the transom.  Do you have any pics of yours?  I'm guessing it should be completely flat?  If I took something like a yardstick and went across it, that should show me?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a fiberglas carpenter's level,  not expensive,  in six foot to more than eight foot lengths.  I'd use an eight foot level (or longer) or maybe a metal building stud.  A yardsyick is way too short for a 400 hull imo. 
  • Options
    I think on Raybos boat you could feel the hump. I didn't take pictures of mine. 
  • Options
    I have a long level I'll take down to use.  I am curious if I could figure out exactly where it was leaking.  It puddled in the steering arm area then ran down and out the bottom.  Water did not ever drip on the shaft or anything spinning.  & again, it was very small amount and not very often since I kept it on the lift.  At the end of my 10-day trips it would drip about 1 per second.  I'll make sure to take pictures of whatever I can.

• Options
    You won't know where it was leaking but you should find the high spot if there is one
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put (2) Hardin Marine SS water pumps on (350MAG MPI).  Bolted right on, no changes.  The impellor is a standard Mercury Marine one (has one flat not two).  I bought spares when I got the pumps.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I put one Hardin on and it looks good.  I purchased another impeller from Hardin.  When I held the impeller up to the typical ones I use, it seems that it is maybe 1/16 or a tad more wider (not diameter but other dimension). I don't believe they are the same.  (what do mean with the one flat, not two?)

• Options
    And the fiberglass?????
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the guts are the same, why spend all the money for the ss housing? Oh never mind. I fixed my worn brass one for 98 bucks, guess I'm just cheap.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury, it doesn't wear out like the brass one.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg , if you have to replace the impeller every couple of years anyway, 98 bucks and you start over again ( impeller plus new shims) vs spending, what 7 or 800 bucks for the hardin and then replace the impeller in a year? I just replaced my impeller for 45 bucks, shims were fine so its not even 98 bucks a year!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear ya... I need to replace my housing. The Hardin Marine pump is $420, including the impeller. The OEM pump is is $350 to $420 online. I am going the Hardin route because I never have to worry about it again. Didn't you have problems with yours? I recall you had to do some grinding and shimming to get it to work properly. I would rather purchase a product that works. Al uses them on his boats, and I trust him.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

I did it for reasons Greg mentioned.  To me, the 98 bucks is just covering up something but not truly fixing it.  I figure I saved money on a lot of things doing them myself, so I might as well do it correctly (nothing against anyone for what they do with their boat). 

It's the same right now with putting 2 completely new transom assemblies on my boat.  I may have been ok just changing the transom plate on only one drive.  It's more knowing that when I get in this boat with my family for a 10 day (or even 18 day trip planned this summer), we can rely on it.  I'm no rich person.  I'm actually extremely frugal, and then spend on what we enjoy as a family.  :)

• Options
    And the fiberglass?
  • Options
    And the fiberglass?

I haven't gotten word that the motors are out yet.  I'm actually ok with that since the temps are gonna dive to around 20 both Fri and Sat night.  So this will keep her in the shop until after that.

• Options
    On mine when they put the new "bracket" up against the transom it would "rock" back and forth. That's how they found the high spot I believe.......
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Having a high spot in an area where it should be absolutely straight/flawless is very worrisome. These repairs are extremely costly for what is apparently a HUGE manufacturer defect. You would think there would be some sort of compensation once it's proved the high spot has cause a major install flaw. 
  • Options
    There is a wood core in the transom so there is always a possibility that a leak caused the wood to swell. Need to check that out before reinstall
  • Options
    There is a wood core in the transom so there is always a possibility that a leak caused the wood to swell. Need to check that out before reinstall

Well, being that mine is out of the water for most of the time (on the lift) and has been out of the water since end of October, I'd hope it is dry at this point.  But I do agree, it is something that should be checked before reinstall.

• Options
    Easy check. I'm sure it's a high spot. Raybo and I are experts in the field. LOL
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg no, have had no issue- when i put the kit in, everything bolted up no issues, it is just a shorter impeller with shims top and bottom. I think the Hardin pump comes with replaceable shims as well so my understanding, pretty much the same thing. Same company also sells bearings for the shaft as well if needed....not much else to really go wrong to replace one? Sounds like I make a commission on these but I was just a real satisfied customer on this item...