Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pull that boot of and see what ya got- if the elbow is corroded might be a good time to swap it out before it falls apart..
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the boot is hard and swollen/distorted it's time for new boots

Like @rasbury days you could need a new elbow.  If it's not pitted bad install with plenty of bellow glue.    I wouldn't admit this among rival dads but in a pinch it's amazing how well rubber cement, the same the weird kid sniffed in grade school,  helps to seal hose connections.  
  • Options
  • Options
    I did not cement mine..did not know your supposed to?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    You're not supposed to put rubber cement on them but if you buy a hose connector kit from advanced auto to make custom hoses it comes with some rubber cement.   Nearly ever engine swap I've done has required custom hoses, sometimes the two hoses are close but not quite.   Especially heater core hoses.   A little rubber cement on them while dry will ensure they are leak free for years to come.  Re torqueing the new hose clamps several times over the next few months also helps,  you wouldn't think they would stretch but they do.  Gotta love leaks on a build you took 2 years to complete.    For intercooler charge pipes couplers hair spray is another secret hack.      

Mercruiser makes bellow glue which works as both a lube to help slide the bellows in place then dries to make the imperfect mating surface seal better.  The bellow glue is the way to go.  Rubber cement just helps in a pinch when you need to be going now and don't have access to a marina, west marine or wait on parts to come in.  Walmart has runner cement at 9am on a Sunday morning.    

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    If the hose clamps are the normal screw type, consider replacing with T-bolt hose clamps.  
  • Options
    alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Finally, on the 4th anniversary of owning my 342, I got around to changing the ugly rotten bilge vent covers.

A word of caution, one of my vent hoses looked like it was connected to the vent cover, but had fallen off and was about a foot away.   It was on the starboard side, and with all the wires in the area I couldn’t actually see the connection point.   Also, the original vent tube was completely rotten and fell apart as I pulled it out… much like the vent cover itself.

Hopefully theses new “stainless” vent covers from China hold up, and also help keep rain water out.

Sorry for the bad picture… it was clearly an afterthought. 
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    alex8q4 said:
    Finally, on the 4th anniversary of owning my 342, I got around to changing the ugly rotten bilge vent covers.

A word of caution, one of my vent hoses looked like it was connected to the vent cover, but had fallen off and was about a foot away.   It was on the starboard side, and with all the wires in the area I couldn’t actually see the connection point.   Also, the original vent tube was completely rotten and fell apart as I pulled it out… much like the vent cover itself.

Hopefully theses new “stainless” vent covers from China hold up, and also help keep rain water out.

Sorry for the bad picture… it was clearly an afterthought. 
    4 years - took me 9!

My ducts were falling apart too and changed them out, had to pop the battery selector panels and the storage bin  to get the new in with the wiring back there.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Visited "The Boat Formerly Known as La Rea" in the last slip she'll have under my care.  Only eight days until the new owner takes delivery.  

The transom still says La Rea.  I joked that we should temporarily call her Rinker McRinkface as an homage to Boaty McBoatface, but her real name is more dignified:  Bronze Star.

• Options
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    OK, my turn to contribute.  Been doing a LOT of upgrades, way too many things to list so far, but here is one of the highlights.  A BIG thank you to all here, as I'm learning a lot and getting a ton of ideas from you.  Hopefully I can return the favor soon...

BEFORE

AFTER

2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    @Formulaben - looks like we went with the exact same color…  Beautiful job!
  • Options
    I wish my dash looked as good as the before- I have tried all sorts of stuff to get a shine/richness of that panel back...what kind of prep, kind of paint etc?
  • Options
    @Formulaben - way to make a splash!  Nice job.
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 I really like your glass panel.  Might have to hit you up with some questions about a retrofit if that's doable...
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    I wish my dash looked as good as the before- I have tried all sorts of stuff to get a shine/richness of that panel back...what kind of prep, kind of paint etc?
    The plastic dash I just sanded and used Behr Burnished Amber spray paint, followed by a couple coats of clear.  The switch panel I had a guy cut a panel in 1/8" aluminum and after using self-etching primer used the same paint.  I was really happy with how it turned out, and the brown compliments the helm gelcoat pretty well IMHO.
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Why did you not use the ordinal switch panel? I have tan as well...
  • Options
    My first attempt at a grill cover, haven't found one for a Kuma and tired of getting brown stains on the transom every time it rains.  Also  new cooler for the drinks.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Kuuma came with a grill cover? They are nice grills. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Magma has all the options and accessories.  The kuuma is nice once I found out I could adjust the regulator.  I hated it for my first year of ownership because the only cooking options were rare and scorched earth.  Now that I can adjust the regulator (the set screw, not the dial) I can get it low enough to cook pancakes.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a couple pics of how to adjust the regulator @PickleRick ?

I have a Magma and hoping it is similar to adjust. I did find that switching from the green propane cylinders to a 5lb tank helped a lot. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I won't be back on the boat until tonight but I'll describe it the best I can.  The kuuma regulator adjustment dial has a sticker on it showing high and low settings.  In the middle of the sticker you can feel a depression.   Use a small screw to poke a hole in it.  Now you can see what I think is either a hex or torx set screw deep inside the center of the adjustment dial.  

On windy days I have to open it up to keep the grill @425 to 450 for steak, burgers etc and I bring it way down to cook pancakes or eggs on a skillet.   I don't know the temps of the pancakes as I cook them with the hood open using the grill as a burner.   I dial it in using a few sacrificial pancakes that will inevitably feed some fish.  
  • Options
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    You're welcome 
  • Options
    While Bayliner is still very much in business most items for it are no longer available for my 2001 model, so if I want privacy/sun covers I'm stuck making them myself.  Or having a pro make them.  I'm a a big diy guy.  I'm currently using cheap PVC backed canvas from Amazon.   If I get good enough I'll remake them in sunbrella that is 5 to 7x more.  I can afford to screw this stuff up.  

Will be doing one for the windshield then attempting a new camper enclosure/top.  
  • Options
    I need a redo on my mooring cover..or what ever it's called...would be an interesting project..
  • Options
    Nice @Pat310 I would love to be able to do that. You could make a good living in fl doing that for sure..