Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    @mbnarney - did that installer ever work in Venezuela? 

Whoever installed my radio down there did it by twisting the wires together and wrapping with a bit of electrical tape.  Somehow, it survived a 3000-mile, 5-month voyage from Venezuela to Virginia.  

Today was just a temporary install of the new radio.  I'll have to remake most of the wiring up in the bridge.  For example, the two big stereo amplifiers are connected to a battery under the helm.  The battery isn't secured to the deck, and the two big power cables that run up from the main panel are not protected by fuses at either end.  :#   

The installer deserves a slap upside the head.  
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Yikes it just goes to show that carpetbaggers work worldwide. I am now starting to understand why my nav lights flash on and off periodically. That's next
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Installed a new charger this past weekend.  A Sterling 1220.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    I ended up using 2 Sterling chargers. A 1240 for the engine room and a 1220 for the bow thruster/ windlass. They work great!
    2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island
  • Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    I guess that's the trendy thing to do...I'm installing the Sterling 1250 Friday morning. :D
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    They are copies of the pronautic or pronautic are copies of Sterling.  But Sterling was $100 cheaper.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Yea I’ve noticed that the price difference on sterling is nice these days. When they first came up here the price difference was only 10% but it’s much more worth it now. I’m replacing my 50a and 20a chargers this winter and will likely go sterling. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    NeatseaNeatsea Member Posts: 6
    In past two weeks, replaced air conditioning (by others) and leaky Volvo power steering actuator (did that myself).
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    You know you like to keep the bilge clean and you are running low on project ideas when…

I hope you have a way of stopping that from unraveling? That could eventually get caught up in your pulleys and make a mess.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has a built in tensioner. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I washed the boat and looked over the engine bay today. Beginning of this season I replaced a leaking starboard distribution tube, today I found the port side now has a drip. Must’ve happened during our trip this past weekend. I should’ve just replaced them both at the same time, luckily I bought two. Anyone replace one in the water?
    Actually I did mine in the water last week. Small stream of water out of lowest hose. I removed mounting bolts first then swapped the hoses and remounted. Minimal water.  A few gallons. Pump kept up no problem. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pat310 ! I’ll probably be replacing it next week.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pat310 said:
    aero3113 said:
    I washed the boat and looked over the engine bay today. Beginning of this season I replaced a leaking starboard distribution tube, today I found the port side now has a drip. Must’ve happened during our trip this past weekend. I should’ve just replaced them both at the same time, luckily I bought two. Anyone replace one in the water?
    Actually I did mine in the water last week. Small stream of water out of lowest hose. I removed mounting bolts first then swapped the hoses and remounted. Minimal water.  A few gallons. Pump kept up no problem. 
    Agree easy to do in the water. On my 342 they went within weeks of each other. Port first, stbd weeks later. Definitely best to do both when one starts to drip. These are made of nylon and just dry out over 10-12 hrs.

• Options
    I better stock up @Liberty44140 !! Only last 10-12 hrs??!! 😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Hahahahaha - yrs

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw this crew just now.....lol

Distictive boat. Front windshield a giveaway.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classy!!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Pat310 said:
    aero3113 said:
    I did mine a few years ago as it had cracked, I thought I was in for a flooding but very minimal and containable. Just loosen as much as you can first for a quick swap.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Going to replace it tomorrow!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattie said:
    Nice shots @mattie , thanks!!! Looks like you got us going from Sarnia bay marina over to port Huron to fuel up at Desmond’s. Had fun in Sarnia bay doing the wakeboard park! Currently in st Clair boat basin and headed down to Detroit YC here later this morning for a couple of nights. 

• Options
    Installed the distribution tube today. The initial rush of water coming in once removed was kinda concerning 😂. Once that passed, barley any water comes in. ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, got me too at first and was like the monkey trying to put the cork back into the elephant (for those who know that joke). Resigned to letting the bilge pump take it on, took the plug out and half a cup dribbled out! Phew!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @Liberty44140 the board looks like fun, but how are you pulling a board 50 feet away from a marina full of boats?  
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    LR, I’m being pulled by a motorized zip line, not a boat. And it’s Canada eh, we assume less regs. That dock has no electric service.

• Options
    Hilarious!  I've never heard of that!  Sounds like a blast.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to get my starter in but dang...it's hot!
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Got my GPS and radio rewired properly, was going to look at a couple of other items but like @rasbury says way too hot. I can only take a couple hours of this. Every afternoon a storm blows in anyway.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    I put my camper pck up to deal with the storms but at storage no way to run a fan. Conundrum.