Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I got my newly rebuilt alternator ( to produce 180 amps) reinstalled, and I finished buttoning up everything from installing the trim switch last week, because I got called into work and have been gone since. I think my XS XP3000 battery will be here tomorrow, so I should be installing the new battery tray to accommodate the large battery, and battery in the next two days, and that should power all the new electronics. I also removed all 4 hubs off the trailer, removed all bearings, cleaned out all the old grease, re packed the bearings, and installed new seals. It’s been a busy day! Hopefully that’ll have me all fixed up for the season. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us know how the electronics go.
  • Options
    Let us know how the electronics go.
    I will. I started it on the muffs and was able to get some volume on the stereo without it turning off, but my batteries are just in bad shape. One of them is 6 years old. I saw 172 amp draw when I turned it up, so the alternator is doing what it’s supposed to, right now. With the batteries I’m putting in, it really should work fine. The XP 3000 claims to run a 3000 watt stereo for 2.5 hours at full volume. Mine will never see full volume for that long, and I’ll have 2 of them. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    edited May 2018
    @69fastback - when you get that system to full power, measure the sound levels on your boat!  Smartphone app and send a screen shot. 
  • Options
    Hmmmm I’ll have to look up an app for that. Honestly, it’s not as loud as one may think with the power it has, or maybe I’m just used to hearing all the wakeboard boats we have in our area, that have insanely ridiculous systems in them. Theyre at least twice as loud as mine. 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @Willhound=very nice=looks great==i never dated a carpet steamer...a girl that ironed..once
    just a fyi in that cubby in the rear stateroom (:
    this fan=https://www.laskoproducts.com/products/desktop-wind-tower-oscillating-multi-directional-fan-t14305/
    fits very nicely and stays put=we run a cord under the mattress =makes for a nice breeze with the ac=moves the air out and around
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    I put mine in the water...well last night actually

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Water looks not so blue, but its floating and that's what counts!

I'm starting on my radio, speaker, sub, and battery charger upgrade today. 

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    I like the name @04FV270riverrat
    Thanks Shawn, kind of a double meaning for us. We live about 80 miles from where the boat is (moved away from hometown) so when its Friday and we are off for the weekend we head to the boat. It's also a George Jones song with the same mentality, it's Finally Friday, let's get the weekend rolling!
  • Options
    Well, this was sunday, rather than today. Dispatch gave me the "all clear" and released me from duty (on call), so we loaded up to go lake test our new equipment. We loaded up food, stopped and got gas, my wife backed me in and as soon as the boat started floating, my phone rang. It was dispatch telling me I had an emergency trip, so I drove the boat back on, made my kids cry, took the boat home, and went to work. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that job is terrible
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Why in the heII did you pick up the phone?????? "Ooops I was out with the family and forgot my phone" always works............ Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ha!  If only it worked that way.  On call, is on call. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Man I hope your work took good care of you........ 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Unfortunately, in the avaiation industry, that’s just the way it is. On call every day, except for the 6 hard days we get off per month. If someone needs to go, we have to be airborne in 2 hours. Such is life. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, in the avaiation industry, that’s just the way it is. On call every day, except for the 6 hard days we get off per month. If someone needs to go, we have to be airborne in 2 hours. Such is life. 
    Same here, on call every other weekend, 2 hr. notice or could be less if a trip pops. I manage and maintain a Gulfstream G550 and G650.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    For the most part we know our schedule, but never know when the owner feels like going on a trip.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    For the most part we know our schedule, but never know when the owner feels like going on a trip.
    So you know it goes then. We used to know our schedule in advance, because we rarely did charters, but netjets uses us when they get overbooked, and they have just been killing us lately, which is leading to a lot of pop up charters. Our company has started pushing more charters in general, and in the past, I only did 1 or 2 per year. We are also done 2 pilots, which only leaves is 1 crew per airplane (CL30 and CL35), which leaves no flexibility. We get 6 hard days off per month, and mine start tomorrow. I can’t wait. I sure hope SWA calls soon.......
  • Options
    We had one of our pilots leave for SWA, he didn't like how our schedule was all over the place. With my company the pilots schedule is tougher than mine unless we get a tough maintenance issue.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    That’s kind of where I’m at. I enjoy corporate, and our people are awesome tonfky for, but the owners are going through some changes, as in they sold to another company, so the future is unknown, and our quality life is decreasing. Airlines get a schedule, they pay is great these days, but the biggest thing is the retirement. Corporate will never compete with an airline in retirement. 
    Post edited by 69fastback on
  • Options
    So i got my third battery and charger installed. Went pretty smooth, no hiccups. Still have to install the thru-hull outlet for the charger, and also zip tie all the wires snug, but happy with it so far. 

Before 

After

Also swapped out one of the 12 volt sockets for a dual USB with voltage. I like it alot, much more convenient for charging, and the digital voltage is nice. 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move the - on the front battery to the middle battery this way the current flows threw
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    The most stern battery is starting, so I don't want it on that bank. The two wired in parallel are my house batteries.
  • Options
    Yes it's good when in parallel one has the positive and other get the negative 
  • Options
    forgot to mention good work love the volt meter
  • Options
    It might be hard to see, but I've got a separate cable going from + to +, and - to - on both house batteries. The pic is deceiving, but its there I promise.  :)
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You should put a rubber cover on the positive post of your new battery.  Just like your others have.  That's an inspection item for the CG and required to pass a vessel safety check.  CG will ticket you for it if they board you and find it.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge I knew you'd catch that, and after the pic I saw it, and fixed it best I could at the time. I took the plastic cover it came with new and put a dab of silicon to make sure it didn't come off. Think that'll be good enough?
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    JoeStang said:
    Stodge I knew you'd catch that, and after the pic I saw it, and fixed it best I could at the time. I took the plastic cover it came with new and put a dab of silicon to make sure it didn't come off. Think that'll be good enough?
    I'd stop by the car parts store and pick up a set of the nice big rubber covers like your other batteries have.  They cover both the post and the threaded connection.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX