Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is that a Detroit Lions hat? Hahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, can't help but root for them since I was born and raised here. Trust me, I wish I was Packers or Steelers fan. 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not GB so much now LOL
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,576 mod
    JoeStang said:
    Yeah, can't help but root for them since I was born and raised here. Trust me, I wish I was Packers or Steelers fan. 

Could be worse...you could be a Browns fan like me! LOL!  Actually, I'm not much for NFL, love college ball!  Go Buckeyes!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Tomorrow is D-day for me, but I couldn't ask for a better forecast. I drive mine about 50 miles to it's winter home for indoor heated rack storage, so a calm sunny day makes it much more enjoyable. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are dead of winter here this am....friggin 59 degrees....burr...........
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    We are dead of winter here this am....friggin 59 degrees....burr...........
     :p I've lived in areas where you could put a minus in front of that with wind chill .....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friday is D-Day for me. Not looking forward to it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JoeStang said:
    You can still be a Steelers fan!!! I am sure there are a few Steeler bars in your area.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Definitely not, not that I know about anyways. People leave Detroit, not come here. Lol
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Vivios is a Steelers fan owner bar 

field of dreams is da bears lol

remind me again joe where you take it that’s 50 miles away 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big move, right move, did'nt know of all those issues, on the 314. are you going to put it in yourself? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, doing it myself... the engine in a 212 can literally be sitting on the ground within half an hour of pulling the boat out of the water (and letting it cool down... but, you get my point)... and w/o hardly breaking a sweat.   outdrive pulled, fuel lines, 10pin, battery lines, four mount bolts, exhaust boots/elbows, water lines, and hook the winch on the gantry to pluck it out... going back in only takes longer due to aligning the outdrive.  

with the 314 sitting on the pallet the (new)357 came off of, it'll be super easy to track down what is making it sick... namely, it will be super easy to put brand spanking new manifolds and risers on, pull the timing cover and see about that chain (can it be that sloppy?) and/or dizzy, tune if from carb to rockers, plugs to oil pump, every filter- check compression, and make sure it runs right- put the cowl dress kit on it, make sure the paint is in good condition........ then sell it for $2k or so... it's not that it's a bad engine, it's that doing what i need to do to it is FAR easier to do on the ground than in the boat.... and if it's spark issue can be repaired (and not to the $$tune$$ of going as deep as the camshaft) $2.5k ought to be a good deal for someone in need of a turn-key fully dressed rebuild with less than 40 hours on it.... but it won't have a warranty and it won't be something i'd be worrying about anymore giving issue whenever it occurs to it to do so in the middle of my season. 

all of this i can do at a snails pace whenever i get to it... but once that 314 is on the deck, that 357 is literally only an hour or so's effort from being mounted with several feet of water underneath it- running basically worry free for years and years to come, that i can use whenever it strikes me i have any more than an hour to kill on a pretty day, summer or winter.  the thought of that is what sold me on the idea of just buying a new warrantied engine.  
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I really like the Merc 496 with the Auto-Drains for winterizing. Doesn't usually get that cold here in Charleston, so if we have a great day followed by a freezing day we just pump up the system with a hand pump and crank the engine over a few times (with the kill switch killed) to purge any water and prevent damage.
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    Vivios is a Steelers fan owner bar 

field of dreams is da bears lol

remind me again joe where you take it that’s 50 miles away 
    So thanks for letting me know where not to go haha.

I take it to Wyandotte for winter storage. There's a rack heated place down there that's very convenient and reasonably priced. It's all wrapped up for me, had a beautiful and calm last trip. 

• Options
    edited October 2017
    And I just realized I probably overestimated the mileage a bit. It's probably like 35 or 40 miles dock to dock. Took 1 hr 15 minutes at 28-30mph today. 
  • Options
    Starbrite EZ on EZ off I found works amazing, but its not for the faint of heart. Use at a minimum eye protection, and I use rubber gloves and a mask too, because its really strong. Barely had to scrub at all, just spray on with a garden sprayer and powerwash off. If I was on a trailer it'd make it much tougher, because you cant get to the middle of the hull that way. I dilute it like 50/50 to start, and then make it stronger as I go to get the tough stains off.

I dont mind the work, and I also get the scrub brush and goggles out every couple weeks in the summer to clean the bottom in the water. I'm looking to buy a trailer next spring, so that will help being able to pull it out here and there to clean it too.

BTW I went to Whiskeys on the Water for dinner, it was friggin awesome!
  • Options
    On my 310, I used to use a 50/50 mixture of muratic acid & water in spray bottle.  Initially started with Mary Kate's on/off, but the muratic acid was much cheaper buying from HD.  If you are worried about the trailer, you could use FSR.  It works quite well too and it is just rub on and then off.

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I used the On/Off this year. Worked great. I crawled under my trailer on my back to get the middle. Not a fun job but it's done. I was told that On/Off has oxalyc acid in it but you can buy the oxalyc acid off eBay for about $20 for a bag that will last you a few years. Mix a little with hot water. BTW-I paid $45 for 1 gallon of On/Off and used the whole bottle on a 25' boat
  • Options
    Pulled my boat yesterday. Got her winterized, but still need to clean the bottom. 

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Nice f150 sitting there too...ecoboost?
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Nice f150 sitting there too...ecoboost?
    Thanks! Yes, 3.5 Ecoboost.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally replaced my old CO monitor. Probably long past its life. Newest model from Fireboy. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Ford fleet sales for almost 22 years now....
  • Options
    Put her to bed for the winter. See you in the spring sweetheart!
  • Options
    I hate this time of the year....gets pretty lonely on the forum!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond did you go with the battery operated or hardwire?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Don't worry. Just re-grouping and really busy at work lately but have lots of ideas for changes and upgrades that I'll need input on over the winter!
  • Options
    rasbury said:

heck, this is when I'm on the forum the most, when I'm not boating!  (the admiral would say I'm on it all the time!)