Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more rounded cowling that is not 4 stroke, pretty clear it’s an OX, all of them from that era had a similar cowling look. It will be more efficient than an old carbd Johnson. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't marine engines be priced like crate engines?

How much fun would this be?!

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get a Godzilla engine in a boat ...an air boat! 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Before I left the Ford dealer I worked for I put a crate 5.4l, new transmission ..all new hoses and belt, brakes, rotors,radiator and trans cooler..probably others stuff I forgot for 10 grand with employee discount..and installed!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I had put a crate motor in my old street rod, that I still have, back in 1992.  Still runs very well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I love to get dealer cost on a 7.3 long block from Ford.  With 350k and counting on mine I don't know when I'd use it but would be nice to store in the back of the garage for a rainy day
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Oh and Ford (navstar) did put the 7.3 diesels in boats for a hot minute.   Bottom end wasn't strong enough for the I/O applications, were not knowing for lasting long.  Came in early pre power stroke all mechanical and then the power as stroke hpop electronic version.  Another mercruiser diesel failure.  Pretty sure it was called the international 444.  
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    And that was a pretty tuff motor...probably the most durable diesel for the light duty market , for some time at least..
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolled my new camper top up for the winter today. Looking at the old top and it’s hard to believe how yellow the eisenglass is. Glad Ameritex came through for me. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Replaced a trim ram....went well so might have a little run on the river for Christmas-
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    My wife has finished removing all the "stuff" and ripped out a majority of the lining from the V berth so we can use foam backed vinyl and probably add some wood trim as well. The headliner will get replaced as well. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    wow a lot of work, nice project 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Are you going to tackle the headliner as well? Big jobs with huge wow factor when done right. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    That's going to be a great project!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Yep headliner will get done. The fiber fur stuff there now is just glued on so it pulls off easily and then lay whatever you want over the fiberglass. Where you see fiberglass now will get the foam backed vinyl and then a little bit of trim on the edges. 

Big job but it's actually going to be easier than anticipated. 

The mid berth will also get all the "fur" removed and same foam back vinyl. The mid berth is mostly panels that can be removed then recovered and put back on. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice @Aqua_Aura ! Should look great when you guys are finished ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the 943xsv to switch to myself. Hopefully can still use the factory depth equip in the hull.
    @Aqua_Aura - what’s up with the box??
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Not sure what happened but the product isn't damaged. This is from a friend that setup a wholesale account with Garmin. He had it delivered to his house so it must have bounced around a bit. 

The 943xsv is what I originally looked at but I wanted the higher resolution screen and a little bigger screen as well. 

I think it would work with older transducer with the 12 to 8 pin adapter. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    Got my props back from the shop. Look brand spanking new. Now I just need to paint the outdrives.

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura. I just bought one myself for a new dash for my CC. The new ones now have a USB connection and mini SD cards on the back meaning you have to remove it to upgrade. I bought this chenyang CY USB C Waterproof... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093LNT2RK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share in order to have a way to upgrade the unit without removing. Same thing from Garmin was more than $130.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    edited January 5
    I always updated my last one with the active captain app and never did use the SD card slot. Not sure what the SD card is needed for when updating other than maybe firmware? I don't think I'll mount mine in the dash as that would require building a new panel which could be complicated with the current panel design. 

I also use navionics and not the bluecharts so maybe that's why I didn't need the SD card slot. 

Oh I actually I forgot that for initial setup I did put one in but that was only one time of messing with it and then it gets formatted for navionics and active captain updates. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Well dang it @davidbrooks now I am looking at photos of my panel and I think I can mount it maybe where the vhf is or forward of the throttles. Just what I needed was a bigger project 😂
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the active Capt app also. The SD card route was better for me as I could download the update at my desk faster. The updates can get huge and my Wi-Fi connection at the boat was spotty at best. It just caught me off guard they moved it to the back. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Oh ok that makes sense for faster updates. I am putting a wifi hotspot on the boat but we do have good Internet where it's parked currently and at our permanent moorage. I wanted the hotspot so the boat will have the same connection no matter where we go. That way when we do trips I don't need to login to a marina wifi for cameras and other devices it will already be connected. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s the average monthly charge from a carrier for a WiFi hotspot?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited January 6
    @aero3113 prior to Starlink, I had a LTE hotspot setup that piggybacked on my monthly cell plan for +$10/month for the extra SIM card. My cell plan has about 100gb/mo of data which was plenty for what my fam needed.

The LTE hotspot was great at the marina (where the wifi is unusable), but where I anchor there is marginal cell coverage.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura you need a Pepwave router or one like it.  The router will use marina wifi when it can, with automatic failover to the wifi sim(s) when you leave the marina.  The onboard devices all connect to the router.  

When you get to a new marina, you just connect the router to the local wifi.