Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick you should use Starbrite deck cleaner and be done with it. Just scrub it every so often with the deck cleaner. I found waxing non-skid gets VERY slippery.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I think Starbrite has a specific non-skid wax (or protector) also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 just placed and order, I'll give it a try.  
  • Options
    👍🏻⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    MH342MH342 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    I use the starbrite non skid wax and it works well. Not slippery and it seems to help prevent chalking.  My annual nonskid routine was to use meguires 771 heavy oxidation scrub with a round carpet brush on the buffer and followup with the starbrite nonskid wax.  The meguires is not as heavy a cut as compound but it seems to cut through the chalkiness and it doesn’t have a wax base like compound, so it won’t leave anything slippery.  It’s not a magic bullet for Rinker’s horrible sanded nonskid, but it really help prevent staining for about 1/2 a season. If I get the time and motivation to reapply the wax then it would last all season. 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    👍🏻⚓️
    Thank you for the recommendation 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    MH342 said:
    I use the starbrite non skid wax and it works well. Not slippery and it seems to help prevent chalking.  My annual nonskid routine was to use meguires 771 heavy oxidation scrub with a round carpet brush on the buffer and followup with the starbrite nonskid wax.  The meguires is not as heavy a cut as compound but it seems to cut through the chalkiness and it doesn’t have a wax base like compound, so it won’t leave anything slippery.  It’s not a magic bullet for Rinker’s horrible sanded nonskid, but it really help prevent staining for about 1/2 a season. If I get the time and motivation to reapply the wax then it would last all season. 
    I tried that on the rinker I had before my bayliner, a 93 or 92 model so plenty of oxidation.   My experience was the same, looked new for half the season.  And I kept it under a carport when not in use.  

It was easier to clean and start over with McGuire's wax than polyglow. I didn't have to break out the paint thinner. 

Maybe the secret to keeping a new looking boat all seasons is purchasing a new boat 

Polyglow works better on headlights than the McGuire's 3 step.   These have LED bulbs in them so they don't get very hot.   Knocks the haze out for months. Not new glass look but much improved 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    @YYZRC , I came across this listing. Figured I’d pass it along. Maybe he has some parts you need or can’t find. Says US shipping but maybe he’ll ship to Canada.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/353814663820993/?mibextid=T6ff65
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @aero3113 !
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve always been a fan of starbrite deck cleaner but the boat washers on our dock use woody wax pine boat cleaner and it does a great job, switching to woody next year 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
  • Options
    I tried the starbrite deck cleaner today.  It's works well.   I've been using the cheap 4 buck (used to be 1-2 bucks) store brand bathroom cleaner with bleach for years. 

My decks are stained due to red clay, lots of iron in our soil that turns everything orange.  There are also plenty of black finger prints from doing the oil change on the diesel.  Then there's the what's left of polyglow that worked amazing on the sides and top of the boat but not the non skid.    That crap is stubborn. 

The bathroom bleach cleaner does zilch for the polyglow.  It works like a charm on the red clay, mildew and scuff mark stains.

The starbrite does pretty good on the bulk of the polyglow, red clay and scuff marks 

Use the bathroom bleach before doing starbight and 90% of the work is done.   I found this works better than using starbight twice and it's much cheaper.  I like cheap 

For the stubborn left over polyglow that won't come off acetone or laquer thinner gets what's left. 

Since the acetone removes the deck protection the starbight leaves behind I went back over it.  I also have the spray on  wax and I'll use McGuire's 3 step clean/wax/polish to finish the smooth areas around the non skid.  

• Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Question, is that the spray on deck wax your using?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Picked up the new hull. Got the motor from the old hull to the new. Coolant and plugs changed. Waiting on the new seals for the jet drive assembly to finish her up. 

Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    mbnarney said:
    Question, is that the spray on deck wax your using?
    Starbight that @aero3113 suggested.  Super easy application 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    finally got the boat home ,winterized and back to the marina for the winter ,past 3 weeks was busy moving the business due to a $4000 a month rent increase 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

My decks are stained due to red clay, lots of iron in our soil that turns everything orange.  There are also plenty of black finger prints from doing the oil change on the diesel.  Then there's the what's left of polyglow that worked amazing on the sides and top of the boat but not the non skid.    That crap is stubborn. 

The bathroom bleach cleaner does zilch for the polyglow.  It works like a charm on the red clay, mildew and scuff mark stains.

The starbrite does pretty good on the bulk of the polyglow, red clay and scuff marks 

Use the bathroom bleach before doing starbight and 90% of the work is done.   I found this works better than using starbight twice and it's much cheaper.  I like cheap 

For the stubborn left over polyglow that won't come off acetone or laquer thinner gets what's left. 

Since the acetone removes the deck protection the starbight leaves behind I went back over it.  I also have the spray on  wax and I'll use McGuire's 3 step clean/wax/polish to finish the smooth areas around the non skid.  

Did you try Poli-Strip? I used to use that on my Rinker and it worked pretty well.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    DanD2 said:

Did you try Poli-Strip? I used to use that on my Rinker and it worked pretty well.
    I have not tried that.   The next time I need to beef up an amazing or Walmart.com order to get free shipping I'll add some to try.  So far what I've been using has worked well with very little elbow grease. 

Medium grit cleaner/wax from starbrite for smooth gel coat arrived today as I'm not enjoying the McGuire's 3 step process, even with a buffer it's time consuming.

The only polyglow I'll be leaving on at this time as it still looks good is from my bottom coat to my rub rail and the hard top.  This may change come spring.  

My boat sits on a trailer in the drive way so I'm taking advantage of cleaning/waxing small areas as I have free time so maybe I'll have a spring launch where my only task before heading to the lake is my impeller change.

Ill installe a Hawkeye depth finder with temp gauge thru hull transducer when it arrives this week to replace the trasom mount one that doesn't like the turbulence of the trim tabs at speeds above idle. 

Also upgrading my Garmin 43 model echo map to a thru hull to improve reading at speed.   I'd like to launch with nothing but a leg and tabs hanging from the transom below the water line come spring 

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    After my GPS failed I'm redoing stuff on my arch and started to remove the GPS base today. Got the nuts off, but this thing is stuck on. I'm guessing 5200 was used since it doesn't budge?

Any suggestions on how to remove without damaging the arch? My thought was to mask the entire area with painters tape then hammer tap a thin paint scraper under the base to try and break it loose. Good idea or no? 

• Options
    Try a heat gun or hairdryer to soften it up and it should pull off.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pick up a mini pry bar and put a piece of cardboard under it. 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Try a heat gun or hairdryer to soften it up and it should pull off.
    I like that. Thanks!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Pick up a mini pry bar and put a piece of cardboard under it. 
    I do have a micro-bar, but thought a scraper would be thinner and less potential damaging.

I think I may try a combo of both yours and @YYZRC's suggestion. Thanks!
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    If your worried about damage you might try the hair dryer and use a non marring auto trim tool. I have put some pretty serious pressure on mine and it's yet to break. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    You could also try twisting instead of prying.  Big pair of channel-locks and put some torque on it.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    You could also try twisting instead of prying.  Big pair of channel-locks and put some torque on it.  
    Tried that. Solid as a rock.  :/
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Then heat and a thin blade.  Wouldn't have this problem if the PO had used butyl tape!  :)
  • Options
    Seems like it was the only place Rinker used ample sealant. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
    How about fishing line, thin enough and pull back and forth, maybe break the seal.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    TonyG13 said:
    After my GPS failed I'm redoing stuff on my arch and started to remove the GPS base today. Got the nuts off, but this thing is stuck on. I'm guessing 5200 was used since it doesn't budge?

Any suggestions on how to remove without damaging the arch? My thought was to mask the entire area with painters tape then hammer tap a thin paint scraper under the base to try and break it loose. Good idea or no? 

I'm assuming you don't want to damage anything on removal.  West Marine sells antibond.    Pair this with a guitar or piano string and you can likely get it off without cracking any gel coat.   It will be time consuming.  It will suck.   This is why people are now using butyl tape to bed things that may need to be removed in the future.