Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's interesting I have never heard of that. I got a Netgear hotspot and got a free data only sim that is just using my family plan data on Google Fi. 

I pulled an entire garbage bag of wires and old junk of electronics. Still have some more to do tomorrow. I left the old sonar since I haven't gotten the transducer yet. 

I also replaced orings and seals on 2 of the delivery valves. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been to a marina with usable wifi. My home marina spent thousands “upgrading” the wifi and I can still barely browse this site, let alone stream something. You folks are quite fortunate. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura that 120v receptacle mounted on the dash seems a bit haphazard! Yikes. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have T mobile home internet on the boat, both Verizon and T mobile have 5g home internet. $50 per month for unlimited data. They don’t care if we travel with it, anywhere there is LTE or 5g it works. For the winter I move it to a $10 per month plan which gives me a minimal emergency use allowance, not unlimited, so I have it at home in case our home internet goes out. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    YYZRC said:
    @Aqua_Aura that 120v receptacle mounted on the dash seems a bit haphazard! Yikes. 
    Yeah I keep looking at it wondering if it will be useful or if I'm going to spill my beer on it 🤣. 

I will probably remove it but wanted to wait to make sure. It was there for the computer monitor he had for his navigation. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I have never been to a marina with usable wifi. My home marina spent thousands “upgrading” the wifi and I can still barely browse this site, let alone stream something. You folks are quite fortunate. 
    Beaverton Marina has really good wifi.  But I helped to build their WIFI network  Worst I got was 200 down and 30 up.  The best is 600 down and 50 up.  But I replaced all their stuff with the latest stuff.  All separate SSID's as I am not a fan of mesh networks outdoors.

Main on the center dock

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/business-networking/omada-wifi-outdoor/eap650-outdoor/

at each end of the marine

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/business-networking/omada-wifi-outdoor/eap225-outdoor/
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    We have T mobile home internet on the boat, both Verizon and T mobile have 5g home internet. $50 per month for unlimited data. They don’t care if we travel with it, anywhere there is LTE or 5g it works. For the winter I move it to a $10 per month plan which gives me a minimal emergency use allowance, not unlimited, so I have it at home in case our home internet goes out. 
    @Liberty44140

Canada does not have good plans like that.  
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    I forget the link, I'll try and find it. 

T-Mobile you can request one of their hotspots for free and then sign up for one of their plans. I just put in my address and they sent me one with no sign up for anything and no CC information. 

I did this but haven't opened it yet as I have a better one I bought , maybe if someone would find it useful and can't get a free one from T-Mobile I can send it to you. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Beaverton Marina has really good wifi.  But I helped to build their WIFI network  Worst I got was 200 down and 30 up.  The best is 600 down and 50 up.  But I replaced all their stuff with the latest stuff.  All separate SSID's as I am not a fan of mesh networks outdoors.
    That’s awesome. BP uses unique SSIDs for each dock but they are almost certainly on 33.6k baud dialup so…
  • Options
    @YYZRC
    our guys run ROGERS high-speed which is nice. Also, I set it up with no throttling down speed.  Which the original networking people who had it setup with locked speed for each person to like 30 down and 10 up or something plus old technology WIFI extenders which were so flakey.  So far so good only problem is when there is a problem they call me to fix it :) . Which I don't mind.
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    I found my autopilot computer so now I can wire it to my chartplotter. Cleaned the fly bridge and then worked my way down to the cockpit..... still a lot more to do for cleaning. 

We removed everything from the V birth sidewalls and ordered the material from Sailrite to start putting it back together. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    This was the progress yesterday. I forgot to take a picture. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    And yes it needs to be cleaned
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome @rasbury ! How’s she running?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Runs great! Put a few miles on her today and not a sputter. 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Runs great! Put a few miles on her today and not a sputter. 
    Great news! 👍🏻⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Good for you. Guess th e boating gods have decided  you have suffered enough.
  • Options
    Slick install @TonyG13 !
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I was hoping for an easy swap but the electrical outlet called for a 1-3/4" hole and the washdown was a 1-1/2" hole. So I had to make a quick template by drilling out a piece of scrap wood so my bit wouldn't wander when expanding the hole. It's actually one of the easier things I've done this winter!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Re: drilling a slightly bigger hole ... somebody here taught me that trick.  Probably you.  I have used it a few times!  

Use a hole saw to cut a circular plug that fits into the existing hole.  Then use that plug as a center for the larger hole saw.  Brilliant.
  • Options
    edited February 13
    @johnny44 are you keeping her for another season? 

Make sure you drain and clean out those trim reservoirs!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    I assume the steering pins were leaking?  You'll love having a dry bilge! 

Did the mechanic say anything about the bottom paint being too close to the transom assemblies?  I thought the usual spec was 1" separation.
  • Options
    @LaRea I think that was done with bottom paint from years ago when it had a lot of copper in it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Very expensive upgrade, but if you can paint the bilge before the installation of the engines back on it
  • Options
    johnny44johnny44 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Yes, the starboard engine had a steering pin leak. Worst design ever. So looking forward to having a dry bilge!

@YYZRC - to be determined!! 
    2008 350 EC -- Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    Crawled my way around the engine compartment today tightening screws. Could not believe how loose some of the hose clamps were. Just another day of preventive maintenance.