Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    @LaRea thanks for posting this, as I’ve just redone my anchor rhode and now have 80 ft chain (instead of 20).  I plan to put back on boat sometime in the next couple weeks.  I will do the same as you, as I don’t plan to need all of it. I hope I don’t regret adding the chain cause I know I will now need to install a wash down or extend the cockpit one.  The chain loves to bring up mud!! 20 feet was easier to wash off while moving boat without the wash.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn does the factory cockpit washdown use fresh water from the holding tank?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    @Dream_Inn, we all hope to never need the extra chain, but it's the best way to add holding power.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our river has come off flood stage so pending completion of a project those week hope to bring it home and get in the water!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @Dream_Inn does the factory cockpit washdown use fresh water from the holding tank?
    The cockpit wash down has its own seacock, so nothing from fresh tank. Right now I have the Seacock disconnected and use the pump to pull the last drop of water out of the bilge.  But I believe I can switch it back as I have been able to finally keep the bilge dry.

LaRea said:
    @Dream_Inn, we all hope to never need the extra chain, but it's the best way to add holding power.  
    I’ll probably use most of my chain, but not the line.  At least that’s the plan

• Options
    I generally put out most of my 60 feet of chain (anchoring in 5-15 feet above a muddy bottom).  If I have more than 3-4 boats on just my hook, I'll lay out another 30-40 feet of rope.  The 210-foot rode is overkill ... just the way I like it!

You're right that the chain loves to drag mud.  Wish I had room for an anchor washdown.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Wish I had room for an anchor washdown.
    Sounds like an excuse...  :o
  • Options
    Replaced the plastic end caps on my swim ladder.  They were both missing, and it always seemed like one false step would send somebody to the hospital.

Mine are 1-3/8" for the 4-step swim ladder.  $6 each.  
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HSVK9TK

With the boat out of the water, this repair takes 10 minutes.  Remove bolt, tap the cap into place, replace bolt.  I would not try it with the boat in the water!   ;)

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea, smart move on the end caps.  In a freak accident jumping into the water, my wrist caught the bare metal and sliced it open.  Also, although I replaced the cap in the water, I don’t recommend it.  Very easy for the plastic spacers/washers to slip out when bolt is removed.  Don’t ask me how I know.
  • Options
    @Spyderweb - yikes!  I feel lucky it never happened on my boat.  And I almost tried to do the repair during the season, and decided not to.
  • Options
    I replaced my end caps this past summer. Yep, one nut went in the water.  I now have an extra! (Cause I always buy a spare)

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Paid the first of three installments for our 2023 dock slip fees.  :#
  • Options
    I dry store my boat for 75 bucks a month...on the trailer...
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No slip here. Stored in a barn of a family friend. I did start to get quotes on replacement canvas. I am also starting to compile a list of Ameritex part numbers for others to use for replacement canvas. If anyone has part numbers that they are willing to share, please send them to me. I will post here and on the Facebook group. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    It's winter, and we're all bored, so here's some eye candy:  Santa brought me a new ICOM M605 VHF radio.  

My old M604 suffered a problem that seems to be common for that model:  the volume switch was failing.  I sent the unit off to be refurbished, and then it will go on eBay.
    The M605 has all the things I loved about the M604:  great sound, numeric keypad, hookups for hailer and external speaker, and a rear-panel mic connector.  But the M605 is a new, modern, much better radio:
    • Obviously, the big color display is beautiful -- clear, bright, crisp.  
    • Comes with a dedicated GPS antenna.  It's a 1-inch puck that I mounted inside the helm under the windshield.  It doesn't rely on my network or the ageing Raymarine RS130 up on the hardtop.  
    • RX Play:  It can replay the last 90 seconds of whatever I was receiving.  If I missed something, I can go back and listen again.
    • RX Hailer:  This feature broadcasts the radio output over the hailer speaker -- handy for when we're hanging out on the foredeck.  
    • Programmable softkeys for easy access to stuff I use often.
    Disadvantages?  Well, it's even bigger than the M604.  With a cutout of 3.5"x9.75", it consumes a lot of real estate.  To install it, I had to get out my reciprocating saw and create some sawdust.   :D   And it's expensive -- even without the optional AIS receiver, which I decided not to buy as we don't get a huge amount of commercial traffic here on the upper Potomac.  
    These two factors make it a poor choice for most express cruisers, but I found a way to shoehorn it into the space and budget.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great!
    I like the replay feature.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    New AC unit with composite pan and sound shield. Ordered it last July and it finally arrived just before Christmas. Several boat bucks.  :|

• Options
    Going to bring mine home in the morning...change the oils...fuel filter...need to service the gunny also...cranks but is not moving water...
  • Options
    I installed my new fridge today.  Very happy with it! 

I also installed my 80 ft of chain with 120 ft of line that I spliced together.  Also has the new mantus connection that fits nicely. 

Plenty of room in the locker for the additional chain.   I had to loo after @LaRea said he had to move the line around.

• Options
    Nice @Dream_Inn !! Did you have to pull your ice maker to remove/install?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Nice @Dream_Inn !! Did you have to pull your ice maker to remove/install?
    Thanks.  Fortunately I did not have to remove the ice maker.  It did take me a bit to figure out where the outlet was and plug it back in.  It helped that I have a large access panel under the sink on the side that I can climb halfway in to see behind ice maker.

• Options
    You’re going to love the Mantis swivel.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    You’re going to love the Mantis swivel.
    I put one on last season but didn’t get to try it out. Planning to this year.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    I also installed my 80 ft of chain with 120 ft of line that I spliced together.  Also has the new mantus connection that fits nicely. 

@Dream_Inn

Pretty sure you need to run some seizing wire thru/around that cap on the Mantus swivel.

Good projects.

Like the clean anchor locker. 'how you do anything - is how you do everything.'
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    An anchor swivel is a must have. Totally eliminates the nasty binding and flopping around when retrieving. 
  • Options
    @mattie you can't see it in the picture, but I have a cotter pin that is thru the cap that is bent on the underside.  Thanks for checking though.  It's always good to have many other sets of eyes.

• Options
    I called Mantis to question the safety wire that was included. They said you can use it as a backup or instead of the cotter pin if you want. It’s thick wire that’s included, I was able to get it through and use both. If you zoom in, you can see it.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Looks nice @aero3113 .  I didn't know both would fit.  I was concerned about the pin &/or the wire catching as it was retrieved.  I definitely have my key more in the groove than what you have, but mine is facing down as well.  Not sure any of that matters.  I may try to add the safety wire as well, but the key should be fine.

• Options
    I did knock the tabs down some after that pic. With the wire you can get them all the way down.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 where did you get that from and what size did you get? 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!