aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg I think I bought the S2

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-swivel/

Here it is on Amazon also

Mantus Chain Swivel https://a.co/d/ecCuqVT

2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Stupic question.......... How did you connect the rode to the chain? Any problems going through the windlass? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I bought the S1 model. Mantus items seem to be overbuilt - which is good.

S1 = 1/4" to 5/16" chain
    S2 = 5/16" to 3/8" chain
    S3 = 3/8" to 1/2" chain

https://www.mantusmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Swivel-Assmebly-Insructions.pdf

@raybo3 in my case the S1 clears the windlass no problem - but I wouldn't want much bigger.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    raybo3 said:
    Stupic question.......... How did you connect the rode to the chain? Any problems going through the windlass? 
    Definitely not a stupid question.  I posted some pics on how I did mine here.

I'm very happy I spent the time redoing it.  I took my time and had it in my warm family room with football on.  Spent a lot more time than it probably needed, but I know it is done right and even better than what I had.  The connection from the chain to the rode was quite worn.  I actually flipped my rode around and now the part that was always in the locker till the end is the first part that would go out.  I don't plan to get out more than the 80 feet of chain I now have but it is nice knowing I have 200 ft total now of rode if I needed it.

I have the S2 mantus swivel (bought thru WM for $120) & yes it is overbuilt.  It's crazy to think that I'm actually excited to try it out!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    FWIW I went with the Seachoice 44501 swivel. It was $25 and I’m very happy with it. In case someone is looking for an inexpensive option. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @YYZRC you don't seem to be a 'half-miler'. Surprised you cheaped out on such a critical piece of equipment.

lolol
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I know @mattie ! It almost hurt me to do it!! But I think that Mantus is the Hardin Pump of anchor swivels. 4x the price for more polished SS. 

Now just wait until I post up about losing my anchor this summer…
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the same one for 4 years, no issues.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    raybo3 said:
    Definitely not a stupid question.  I posted some pics on how I did mine here.

I'm very happy I spent the time redoing it.  I took my time and had it in my warm family room with football on.  Spent a lot more time than it probably needed, but I know it is done right and even better than what I had.  The connection from the chain to the rode was quite worn.  I actually flipped my rode around and now the part that was always in the locker till the end is the first part that would go out.  I don't plan to get out more than the 80 feet of chain I now have but it is nice knowing I have 200 ft total now of rode if I needed it.

I have the S2 mantus swivel (bought thru WM for $120) & yes it is overbuilt.  It's crazy to think that I'm actually excited to try it out!

Thanks for posting @Dream@Dream_InnI don't think I have the patience to do that...lol but I will get my anchor line done this spring. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    It was a nice sunny day so I changed out my zincs.  It had been several years. Ok, it is actually my son. 

• Options
    @Dream_Inn and @aero3113 do you find the swivel to be a weak point. Are you worried that it could break or fall apart under heavy load?
  • Options
    @raybo3 from what I've read, the challenge with the swivels is that you can't see if it's failing - especially the style I have.  The failure point is often the link between the halves.

No doubt the Mantus is better built and less prone to this type of failure.
  • Options
    @raybo3 I bought the mantus specifically for that reason.  It is way overbuilt.  This past year I’ve rafted up many weekends with a 370 that had this mantus ( I talked him into buying it first). I was impressed after holding his 370, my 400, and a 390 many weekends, and it pulled out of the muck so easily but yet held and even set well.

• Options
    @raybo3 it was a concern but after seeing the Mantus in person, the chain or rode would fail first.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @raybo3 it was a concern but after seeing the Mantus in person, the chain or rode would fail first.
    Like @Dream_Inn said, it’s over engineered but in a good way.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @YYZRC
    Original swivel on our boat was that same style stainless piece in your pic above.
    The two halves had fused together with sand, clay & some corrosion. Not functioning at all. Galled the screws attempting to remove. Only fix was a hacksaw. Keep an eye on it....

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did I do? Broke something while fixin something else....working on my trim I stepped on my bilge pump and broke it. Actually had a replacement- but in working on that, found the float switch was not working...so now have to replace that but a good find. Last time I had an issue it did work...
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replaced the door latch to the head! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Greased and repacked the bearings on the rear axle today on my son’s boat trailer.  We had done the front axle in December.  

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but @Dream_Inn's post resurrected something I think about from time to time. I have very little knowledge about cars and trailers (and boats) -- so can someone explain why you have to constantly maintain trailer wheels and bearings, but cars can go virtually forever without having to deal with the same thing? Are cars built differently than trailers? Just really have wondered this for a long time.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Immersing the trailer wheel bearings in water is h a r d on them over time. Especially salt water. 

Also, trailer wheels are quite small in diameter meaning the trailer bearings run hotter. 
  • Options
    I agree with yyzrc, those are the main reasons.  It’s also sealed better in a nice metal enclosure in the cars.  Trailers also go bad cause they sit more and then lock up.

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Immersing the trailer wheel bearings in water is h a r d on them over time. Especially salt water. 

Also, trailer wheels are quite small in diameter meaning the trailer bearings run hotter. 
    I guess I get the smaller diameter, but what about horse trailers, work trailers, etc.? Those are also frequent maintenance and not subjected to water? So why can't they just build a better enclosure like @Dream_Inn says they do with cars? I would think the small upfront increase in cost would be offset by the annual maintenance costs and always worrying about the bearings burning up and having a tire fly off.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My trailer has 16” wheels and Dexter EZLube hubs. If you follow Dexter’s instructions, you can repack the hubs without removing the wheels. Took about 15 minutes per hub when I did it last summer. A lot of utility trailers have the same axle/hubs on them. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Heavy trailers also have the option of oil bath hubs.  Oil hubs are nice because they tend to run cooler (until something like a ballon string takes out the inner seal and they run dry, seizing the bearing and then friction welding the race to the spindle).  Anyone have a 12k dexter axle kicking around for cheap?  ;)
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow @Rich_, the challenges never end do they? I hate my trailer...
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    I would much rather do boat work over trailer work any day. Plus taking a boat ride to test a fix is a lot better dragging a trailer around. With the warm winter we have had so far it should hopefully be early boating season.
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good @Pat310 do all this yourself? What cost approx?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Very nice!
    2008 330EC