Virus

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, what is everyone doing or thinking of doing or not? Canceling any plans? Bulk buying? We have a trip to Italy July 1 and have no idea what to do. 

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 , do you have travel insurance? If not, can you add it? Hopefully by July things will be cleared up...
    2008 330EC
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    We’re booked for a cruise in August... 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @Handymans342 , do you have travel insurance? If not, can you add it? Hopefully by July things will be cleared up...
    Yes I bought it prior to the virus 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I’d be more worried about dying from the flu than from coronavirus. If you’re healthy, go and enjoy your trip!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Well what if they quarantine states or people freak out and empty food stores or take a run on banks! 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The CDC says masks are useful to help infected people keep from spreading their illness.  Masks are not really useful aside from that, because it's not an airborne illness.

Besides, today I tried to get new cartridges for the respirator I use for construction work.  The shelves at Home Depot were as bare as a newborn's bum.  Masks, respirators, refills, gone gone gone.

Learn this mantra:  

Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I think you are over being over cautious, they are have been working on a antiviral for it. I'm flying to see you and go fishing in late March. Not changing a thing. 
    Boat Name : 

Also, this virus seems to have a target demographic:  men over the age of 80.  So, for starters, don't be one of those.  
    Well Italy is getting hit hard and to go over there, not get sick but come back infected would be horrible. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you fly Jet Blue they will refund if issues regarding CV where you are slated to go cause concern.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Id be more worried about a state of emergency being declared and not being allowed back to the states.  Probably not much chance of that happening.  Even if it did a flight to the Bahamas,  take a small boat back to the states, done.  
    Michael T said:
    If you fly Jet Blue they will refund if issues regarding CV where you are slated to go cause concern.
    Lufthansa
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    The market tanking is more of a problem, then the actual virus causing it. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Lake_Bum said:
    The debate caused that LOL
    Lake_Bum said:
    The debate caused that LOL
    Guess I missed that part. I shut it off when Blumberg said something to the effect of "I'm surprised any of you showed up, since I beat you so badly last debate"  

What a turd. 

But anyways......I think this Virus is nothing really.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Keep this a politics-free zone, please.
    LaRea said:
    Keep this a politics-free zone, please.
    Well, this is the non-boating related section, and I replied to Handy, who started this thread.   
    But I get it.  I ended my response with Virus related B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Go watch the game Chris. Lol
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to do some fact finding, Yes 650 in Italy has it but in the US not such a problem yet. The market is down because of it.  While at least 60 cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed in the US, no one has died of it here, while this year's influenza has infected at least 29 million in the US and killed about 16,000 so far. 

@Handymans342 if your trip is in July, you will have more awareness 30 day's prior to make a intelligent decision. We have had these in the past, remember  Ebola, ect. and got through it. 
    Boat Name : 

Yeah I know but I like to be prepared as one can get. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My boss is headed to Europe in two weeks and I keep urging her to cancel. Most likely our company will restrict Europe travel soon anyway. I was in Spain last month to work, but if I had another trip planned in March I would be canceling it. One of our major trade shows in France was just moved from March out to May. 
    Most likely you will be fine for July 1 Handy. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    prepping this weekend. Water/Rice/canned goods for three months. Already have n100 masks ready to go for me and a bunch of people. 

Have two storage units and multiple empty vacation homes here that I take care of to store things (the owners are cool with keeping prep supplies in their place)...

Always always better to be prepared then caught with your pants down.

Without getting political, last nights address to the nation showed why this kind of prep is needed!!
    According to Biden @ half our countries population (150 million) have been killed due to gun violence.  Prepping might be a good idea, i mean even if the corona virus doesn't get you the Thanos level gun violence will.  Statically speaking. 

If you listen to info wars(i dont but guys at the shop do so i over hear a lot)  this virus was possibly developed in the US and arrests have supposedly been made with connections to a prominent U.S. university and Chinese affiliates of said University were caught trying to smuggle product from the labs back to China.  The substance/materials were not the virus at large but it was viral/biological, potentially dangerous and/or infectious.   I have not researched the truth behind this news story but if any part of it is true, it's chilling.

It is a good time, more than ever, to have a plan in place for your family.  

Not a fan of the conspiracy theories. Have you been to the Chinese countryside? Extreme poverty in a manner few in N.A. can comprehend. ANY food source is fair "game" pun intended - from maggots to bats to snakes to rats, ANYTHING. Wild animal markets with no sanitation or refrigeration - appalling to witness. Almost unbelievable - but once you have seen it you understand why there are these outbreaks.You have hundreds of millions of hungry people jammed so close together that sanitation to avoid exactly this is absolutely impossible. Total recipe for contagion outbreaks. Get ready for more of these gifts from China. Why not India you ask? Better sanitation and less appetite to eat garbage foods. Why not these type of outbreaks at big N.A. factory hog and chicken farms - refrigeration, bleach and antibiotics.

BTW agree that the use of the word "pandemic" is fear mongering but at the moment - unless international governments agree - that word must be used for the WHO to access emergency funds. yes, a stupid condition.

Kudos, IMO, to Trump, Azar and the CDC for great preparation without hysteria. What will happen will happen but at least the U.S. did all it could. Pelosi is so far past menopause I would have thought she could at least be rational on this issue. If the Admiral sees this I will have to ask Handy for political asylum. LOL

Handy, are you renting-out your palace while you visit with the Pope this summer?
    edited February 2020
    No I am selling it very soon but this virus panic may change everything as the stock market crashes like its 1999 all over again. 
    If the market crashes im looking for property in the keys! Silver lining if you will
    The stock market will rebound. Those who are panic selling will regret it. Been through this in 2008. Steady hand - no panic. The U.S. is the biggest economic generator in the world. If you all elect a business oriented - no red tape - non EPA crazy President (yes, I'm thinking Trump) all will be well. IMO - Republicans with a majority (house and senate) will end the California Craziness and embark on a build American infrastructure. Would be a golden era for the U.S. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Well, as much as I thought about moving some things around in my 401k about 2 weeks ago, I'm in it for long term and have always been that way.  I have been waiting patiently on the side to do some cash investing.  I'm thinking this is a perfect opportunity to fund my next boat! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Mike, folks in my office are flipping out, the reality is that we are back to where we were what, 6 months ago? Yes the biggest drop in a week in a decade but not panic time..... but I’m not convinced it’s “buy” time either....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am honestly thinking of booking a cruise ... probably get an 80% discount on the back of fear mongering.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"